skulls

Started by davidlt89, June 27, 2013, 06:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

got two skulls done so far! one is the beaver and the other I believe is the raccoon, but could be the otter also. I am leaning towards the raccoon since there is one skull in the garden bigger and the otter does seem to have a bigger head?? I will look them up on line and make sure. here are the two new editions.

Here are all the skulls I have so far. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I agree with RJ!

That is not an otter skull. Mustelids (weasels) have very distinctive skulls and particularly dentition. We can Skype some time and I can show you the very distinct characteristics of mustelid skulls and you will never have to wonder again. Maybe I should post some pictures here at THL.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

yes!! I believe it is a raccoon skull. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Here is a picture for comparison between a wolverine (Gulo gulo), the biggest "weasel" (Mustelid), and a racoon (Procyon lotor), a Procyonid.

This is a ventral view of the skulls. The wolverine is on the left. I have annotated the long axis of the wolverine's rear molars. You should note that the long axis of the last molar is perpendicular to the long axis of the molar anterior to it. THIS IS A UNIQUE CHARACTERISTIC OF ALL MUSTELIDS.

Here is a close-up comparison without the lines.

Here are the two skulls side-by-side. (They are not to scale. I enlarged the racoon skull for comparison's sake.) Note the following:

1) The "stubby" nose (rostrum) on the "weasel". Shorter distance from the eye socket to the nose. This is VERY pronounced in otters.
2) The higher arch and "beefier" zygomatic arch (the bone beneath the eye socket), of the "weasel".
3) Note the location of the ear canal relative to the zygomatic arch.
4) Notice the larger brain case.
These are all characteristics of members of the family Mustelidae - the weasels.

I am going to make a more extensive post in the Campfire.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Paul,
Thanks for the great photos !! I`ve been trying to I.D. a skull that I found and since cleaned. My first thought was that it was a coyote pup but then I started to think it could be a raccoon. Now I`m convinced it IS a coyote pup. The back molar arrangement gave it away. I wish I could post a picture or two but PhotoBucket has once again changed their format and I can`t seem to use the bulk uploader. :angry:

Great info........ THANKS !!

JaDub

gitano

Photobucket is REALLY beginning to tick me off. It seems they are doing everything they can to drive long-time customers away. That's not hyperbole. I believe they are TRYING to drive non-paying customers away. Be that as it may...

I'm glad these photos helped with your ID. That was the idea. You may find this thread: http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16985 worth looking at.

I am fairly sure that if a good photo of the profile and teeth, and the locale where the skull was found/colleted was provided, I could identify any mammal on the planet. I'm not issuing a challenge or 'crowing', but rather offering to help if "you" have a skull that "you" would like ID'd.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Finally got the "motivation" together to get my other two skulls done, I had the otter and the mink to do. Life has not been easy right now, but starting to get back into the swing of things with bear season in play!!!

here is the otter and the mink.

Here is my collection right now.

Hoping to pick up another bear for the boy. I got my snare in yesterday, was tripped but the bear to small to stay in. got my camera on it tonight to see what is coming. would like to a "big skull" to do. God Bless.

RatherBHuntin

cool looking bunch of skulls
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

That's one big beaver skull!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Vermonster

gitano

I like the display shelves too!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: