Reloader16

Started by farmboy, December 08, 2016, 08:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Nope. But I see it is made in Sweden.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I've never seen it but I have always had good luck with Alliant powders. If I see this I might grab a pound or two to try in the 270.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

farmboy

I am wondering if it is basically a old alcan powder if I remember correctly they were all made in Sweden. Well or new chemistry but from the same plant.

gitano

It's SUPPOSED to be "new chemistry". I have not observed "improved" temperature INsensitivity with ANY "new" powder that is supposed to be "temperature insensitive". In other words, I have detected - crudely - the same level of response ("hot" when it's hot outside, and "cool" when it's cold outside) in the "new" powders as I do in the old powders. Personally, while I believe they can probably pass a "red-faced test" on the "truth" of a lower level of temperature 'sensitivity', I STRONGLY suspect that the actual level of insensitivity is meaningless unless you are making loads that you intend to use over a temperature differential of AT LEAST 50 degrees F. In other words, while it may "technically" be "true" that the new powders are less sensitive to fluctuations in temperature, I'd bet 'good money' that for the average hunter the 'improvement' is undetectable.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I have had real good luck with RL15 in the 375 and 35 Whelen, RL21 for 7 Mag. RL 16 looks great! This is new powder.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

The ONLY powder I've ever had problems with as far as temperature is H335. In a hot rifle on a hot day with prairie dogs "coming right for us" I had two blown primers and a stuck case on three consecutive shots. Lucky we survived the onslaught with backup from the Redhawk, KGP161 and Gunter's Sako Vixen in .223 we fought our way clear.:clown:

:drama:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I've had "really cold" problems, but I just don't hunt in 'hot' weather enough for that end of the temperature spectrum. I do see 50 degree differences, but usually when I see that it's pretty cold for my hunting.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I guess I could see 130 degrees easy enough from January to August, saw an 80* degree swing in a day in February of '89. 45 above at 10 am to 35 below by 5 pm, got down to 50 below before the next morning and the power was off.

I can't say I've had a cold failure. IMR4350 in the 30-06AI went off when it was probably 20 below and I wished I hadn't pulled the trigger.  

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

There are big swings in temperature in Alaska, but not within the seasons I hunt. I don't particularly like to hunt when it's below zero, and most of the time I'm hunting it's between about 35 and 55.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: