Has anyone loaded .303 Brit with BP?

Started by kombi1976, May 14, 2006, 07:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

I'm putting out feelers about this as my next project is a Martini in .303 cal.
As many of you would know the MkI .303 British round originally developed for the Lee Metford rifling was a 215gn cupro-nickel FMJ RN with a compressed load of 70gn of FFg.
Now I'm a mug as far as BP goes.
I've fired mate's a 45-90 Sharps and his Alexander Henry 44-40 with BP and tried a couple of Kentucky MLs but past that I have no clue.
But since I'm building my Martini in .303 and it's a MkIII I couldn't go past making up some BP loads to try in it.
The bullet clearly isn't one available anymore but Taipan Bullets here in Australia make a 215gn RNSP that will be quite suitable.
Thing is I'm stuck from there on so here are a few stupid questions on BP reloading since the "black arts" are an area I'm unfamiliar with.:p
I've been told the order of loading is this: fill with powder - compress with a beeswax wad - then a cardboard wad - then seat the bullet.
Now, I know the load has to be compressed but do I need all of that with a jacketed bullet?
Which method do I use to jam 70gn of BP into a .303 case and how do you construct a drop tube?
Do I have to use FFg or can I use a more modern powder like Pyrodex that is apparently less corrosive?
Am I going to have to strip the action everytime I shoot it with BP or will cleaning the chamber, muzzle and bore be enough?
Any clues or should I stick to smokeless?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: