Best Hunting suit

Started by melly1143, November 25, 2008, 09:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melly1143

I'm looking to buy a hunting suit and I would like recommendations on the best brands out there. It is for white tail hunting in Michigan. I would prefer scent lock, but don't care whether it's one piece or two. I would appreciate any suggestions on company or model. Thanks:help:

melly1143

No one has any opinion on hunting suits?

davidlt89

I don't really use a suit melly. just kinda piece some comfortable clothing together. As far as scentlock, I don't believe it works that well. have seen a video where a bloodhound found a hunter in a tree in about 15 seconds in full scentlock, but, to each his own. I have gear for all temperatures. it is normally warm the beginning of deer season and then freezing by the end. I am not familiar with the weather in michigan, but I believe it gets pretty cold. like I said, I don't have a suit. we need to wear two pieces of orange and my orange jacket is a 4-1 jacket. if it is warm, I can break it down. saves on buying two different jackets. I have poly pro's I wear under my clothing (compliments of the army national guard) for extra warmth. I carry a gator in the truck in case I need to slide something over my ears. put all this with a nice pair of boots you can slide some wool socks in and I am all set. I don't bother much with scent cover, I find as long as I don't put on cologne before hunting, I am all set. only other thing I would recomment is a good set of overalls. I have them too and they are nice to use during bow season since I need no orange. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

Like David, I don't use a "suit".  I put on camoflage, or blue jeans, a flannel shirt and a jacket and go.

I oft-times carry a shirt and pants that are a leafy camo made from net material.  They go on over street clothes for times when I'm just "out in the hills", and decide to make a calling stand for coyotes.

But, I have no idea what brand of anything I might have.  I just buy them because they appear to be able to fill the intended need.

Unlike David, we don't have to wear orange here.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

Hunting can be tough on your wardrobe, mel'....for that reason, I'm pretty
much like davidt and Daryl....multi-layering is my angle...If'n I had some-
that was expensive or considered the best, I'd snag it on barbed-wire and
rip it and if I had something that was tough enough to withstand rips, it
would be too tough or thick to be comfortable and quiet.....insulated soft
coveralls in Realtree camo from Walls and a coat with an insulated liner
coat ( two coats in one) from Remington is what I wear...the outer coat
has a hood that zips up within the collar but I never use it...I find that an
attached hood does not want to turn with my head so I've come to use
seperate head gear and neck gators instead....everything is in realtree
camo or something comparable....I don't do scent-lock stuff..I believe it
to be merely a sales snag for suckers with money..hope I was helpful..BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

destroyer4570

I often hunt in either realtree camo or fusion3d which BTW looks almost similar to the realtree AP but for half the price.either can be bought at wal-mart or at your local academy. As far as camo pattern you need to see what pattern blends in best to the area you'll be hunting.

Eekie

I say get 2 sets of light camo pants and a jacket. 1 set to fit normal for warm/cool weather and 1 set over sized so you can layer for those nasty cold winters you get.  camo pattern is not important as long as it breaks up your outline. I usually don't match camo pants with my jacket any way. two different camo patterns breaks up the human outline better than one matching set. I hope that helps although you probably got your camo's since you posted your thread.  Oh by the way....I like to steer clear of one piece suits.  Nothing is worse than being in the woods and having to drop off something a hurry (if you catch my drift) and then having to fuss over getting out of a onesie in a flash.

Eekie

BTW - I agree with bowhunter 51 on the scentlock angle.  keep clean with unscented soap and detergents and hunt the wind and you'll shoot just as much as a person wearing a scentlock suit and you'll be about 200 bucks richer. scent lock only works if you have a complete suit the covers every inch of yer skin and hair and even then it can't prevent 100% of your oder. all a deer's nose needs is 1% of human stink to bolt out of the area your in.

Tags: