Fallow vs Goat

Started by jesusgecko, July 05, 2009, 12:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusgecko

Sorry to disappoint you all,  but I don't mean in the Godzilla sense!!!

Anyway,  this question didn't fit into any of the other categories,  but I know these critters are in Aussieland as well,  so here we are.

Anyhow,  I was wondering how you tell the difference between fallow and goat sign.  Where I hunted today is absolutely over-run with goats,  but also has the odd fallow deer.  How do you differentiate?  I have a book which on one page shows the difference between prints of fallow,  goats,  and sheep,  but the whole lot look the same to me!!!  Also is there any difference in droppings?

By the way - valuable lesson.....when goats are around,  a dozen rounds just won't cut the mustard.  Good way to educate yourself on goat behavior on your return trip though!!!
Normality is for the weak.

gitano

There is a saying in the scientific community that seems appropriate here:

"Dichotomous keys, (books for identifying some group of animals or plants), are made by people that don't need them, for people that can't use them."

What this means is that any of us here with the experience to differentiate the spoor of goats and fallow deer could possibly list a few distinguishing features. Still, our explanations would remain "greek" to those that haven't yet got the field experience. There is just too much individual variability to set out any 'hard and fast' rules for differentiation. The proof of that is that you have already looked at pictures - worth 'a thousand words' - and the issue remains obscure to you. I doubt we could do better in words what pictures don't.

In my opinion, there is really only one way to solve your problem: Become one of the "people that don't need them". The only way I know to do that is experience. The good news is, getting the experience is the fun part. It may seem "inefficient" and even frustrating to follow a set of tracks for hours only to find that it was goats instead of fallow deer. However, once done, the likelihood of you making that "mistake" twice, is small. More importantly, it's impossible to quantify the true value such "mistakes". It's part of the learning process, and it is invaluable. I've learned more from my "mistakes" in the field than I have from any single bit of 'sage' advice.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

jesusgecko

As much as I would love a quick fix here,  I think you may well be right.  Just means I'll have to get out more,  darn it!!!
Normality is for the weak.

Tags: