Saw a nice Model 1000 .308 today

Started by Brithunter, November 15, 2009, 07:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

On a brief range visit saw two new members with a rather clean P-H model 1000 which they recently brought. It looked like it's hardly been shot. The trip was brief as Trev the range officer wanted to go home :stare:  so I only test fired the .222 then got to look over their new purchase. The blacking on the bolt has hardly any scuffs on it, like wise the blackened bolt face so it has not been shot much. The stock has a few storage and handling marks on it.

We had a chat about it and I asked them what they knew about the rifle which was not much. Their grouping was a little erratic and they blamed themselves but I asked if they had had the stock off, No was the answer, I asked if they checked the tightness of the screws. Nope should we? :undecided:  Oh well I had a screwdriver, not my large bladed one that I use on action screws but I got it out of the box and showed them that it needs to have parallel blade sides not tapered like ordinary srewdrivers then tried the screws. .................. both were loose so I popped the stock off and found the view mark :) .

Suspisions confirmed it's a late production one  being from 1984 (sad that I am starting to remmebr soem of the view marks for certain years :eek: ). I thought it might be as the finish on the metal is bead blasted almost parkerised not P-H's usual high polish blacking. The stock had been glass bedded and it looked like a factory job too.

It needs a little TLC to remove the small compression marks on the wood and the barrel channel sealed as it feels awfully dry :eek:  but it's a nice clean example of late P-H production and it should shoot well. With the stock snugged up, I got it as tight as I could with my undersized screwdriver, I have a feeling that their groups might just improve and and least the stock is not likely to crack now.

Sorry no photos as I ddin't have a camera with me. Must remember it next time :Banghead: .
Go Get them Floyd!

22hornet

Trips to the range often result in strange or unusual firearms being brought out.

B.H., I keep a camera in the car with me now.
But more often than not the battery is almost dead.:Banghead:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Brithunter

My digital camera is too large to do that with as it's the size of an SLR. Plus I cannot download the images anymore until I find a new card reader. Mine has packed up and the camera software will not work with any OS later than Win 2000 it seems and Olympus cannot supply any unpgraded software anymore for my camera as it's too old :( . We brought a USB  Multi card reader but it does not have a slot for the original "Smartcard" which my camera uses even though I managed to buy a new 128mb card and the reader came as part of the package it won't accept the card into it. The only one I have found that will is a new replacement for the one which has just packed up ("Flashpath" which goes inot the FDD) and they're now over $100 US and seem to have a fairly short operating life so I an wary of buying another of them. My original one cost me all of $32 US.

Mother's small camera is a nightmare to use in bright light as you cannot see the screen so cannpt tell what you taking the photo of. This is something on the need to address list along with getting a Chronograph and scope mounts for the rail mounted scopes and a new stock for the Mannlicher Schonauer project :rolleyes:  :o
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: