Montana Big Game Series - Whitetail Deer

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 14, 2004, 05:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This series will be leading up to the Montana Big Game Season. It's just to get the hunters thinking, plotting, organizing and putting gear in their pickups. :)

mtsharps

Nice series Jay are you getting ready for big game season

Jay Edward (deceased)

This may sound a little 'smart' but I actually am always ready.  I keep my 'day pack' packed, my hunting clothes are kept in a special suitcase already cleaned from last year, my firearms and ammo are organized so as to be readily accessible and my knife is kept on the belt that my handgun is on.

Unlike some, I always take a handgun into the woods with me.  If I'm shooting centerfire I will pack my .45 Colt S&W.  If I'm shooting blackpowder I usually take a Colt Army.  I have several skinning knives and keep them on the handgun belts all the time.

While the firearms may change if I'm hunting predominantly Elk rather than deer, the gear I carry in my 'day pack' will handle any size animal or situation.  The older you get, the more likely you will be to pare your 'day pack' down to carry only what's necessary.  I figure that someone that is 20 years younger than me will probably be packing 20 lbs more in heavy duty 'necessities'.

RatherBHuntin

I remember seeing this before, but would you mind listing what you feel is essential in your pack?  It would be nice to have a veteran's ideas of what is necessary.
 I am usually not more than a half mile from my truck with clearly defined boundaries to the hunting area.  I carry flash light, binos, compass, cover scent, grunt call, extra knife, my new bone saw, 20 yards of 250 lb parachute cord and maybe a pair of good gloves depending on the month.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: RatherBHuntinI remember seeing this before, but would you mind listing what you feel is essential in your pack? It would be nice to have a veteran's ideas of what is necessary.[/size]
I am usually not more than a half mile from my truck with clearly defined boundaries to the hunting area. I carry flash light, binos, compass, cover scent, grunt call, extra knife, my new bone saw, 20 yards of 250 lb parachute cord and maybe a pair of good gloves depending on the month.
[/size]

I believe that you and I are thinking the same RBH...the difference may be in the 'fine tuning'.

Map - I don't care how small the hunting area or how well you know it...get a close map of the area. I fold mine to cover what I think might be the maximum area I will cover and put it in a large zip lock bag. You never know how far you might have to go and you can make notations that jog your memory later.

Flashlight - I have a small flashlight and carry extra batteries. Duration might turn out to be important when out for an unscheduled long time.

Binoculars - I carry small, lightweight medium expensive binoculars. They fit easily in my shirt pocket and are worth the extra expense. They are 10X and allow me to hunt not bird watch.

Compass - mine is the lid that unscrews off my waterproof match safe/ whistle. The inside is 'lined' with a $50 bill for emergencies.

Saw - as outlined in the hunting gear thread, it is light weight, can be operated with two hands, has a wood handle for warmth, is big enough to cut wood and cost very little.

Extra knife - absolutely...and a small 'stone'.

Gloves - absolutely.

Now...in addition:

A small first aid kit with tripple antibiotic for bone cuts and aspirin.

Several granola bars, a small plastic bottle with salt,a small plastic bottle with instant coffee, some tea bags and a bimetalic cup.

A compact roll-up rainjacket.

A 12" by 12" piece of closed cell foam 1/2" thick to sit upon (rain & snow).

The bottom of the 'day pack' is 'lined' with a 'space blanket'.

Logger's tape to find my way back to a kill site.

Few extra rounds of ammo.

A pair of thermo socks. You'd be surprized what a clean, dry pair of socks does for your morale.

A small bundle of pitch pine, matches and a cigarette lighter.

A small canvas bag of home made jerky.

OK...all of this gear weighs very little. Keep it light.

Now, last but not least...the 'day pack' itself. I need one that is 100% waterproof no matter what shape the seams. The answer? Everything is contained within a large plastic bag. A bag that could be a 2nd 'raincoat' if I needed it.

My day pack weighs 6 pounds.

Tags: