Whacking rabbits in the frost

Started by kombi1976, June 26, 2011, 03:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

After a quiet period at the historic house where a mate and I have been culling rabbits we both got some fairly frantic messages from different sources to go and knock over a few. It's been really windy and raining off and on over the last week so we were prevented from going out there but finally we made a date and headed out last night.
Unfortunately things weren't really on our side. First the security spotlight on a nearby factory was on right across the lawn creating long silhouettes every time we moved. My rifle was also really cold and the bolt was dirty so it was sticking and the feed was mucking up. And finally, not having shot for a while, my aim was off. Frost was already settling on the ground by 9pm and it only got colder.
After a few laps of the house where I was cursing myself and my mate was cursing the security spotlight I'd taken 5. We switched roles and he shot while I spotted but he only took 1 more. Our last trip we took 18. This time only a 3rd of that number.....a mean half dozen. I could probably have shot that number again if I'd hit all I aimed at. Anyway, here's a pic.

The conclusion I have come to is that:
   A) I need to strip the bolt and rifle, clean it and oil it. That way the rotten thing may actually cycle and feed.

B) I must get to the range and actually have a shot from a few different positions so I know where I'm shooting. Additionally I have some reloads for my 25-20 to test and I want to give my 8x57 and 9.3x62 a test run in preparation for deer and pig hunting.
Well, there ya go. At least I came home with some and didn't have to metaphorically run round the pool table with my pants around my ankles. :o
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

recoil junky

24 bunnies in one trip? That's pretty good.

Those are some very healthy looking bunnies kombi. Rabbit stew maybe?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

I took 24 rabbits in one night last year. But in February this year we only took 18 and last night it was just the 6. Still, that's 6 less that will be chewing at the new seedlings.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

"Only' six is still a 'good' outing by my standards. They look positively mouth-watering to me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Still a good night out Andy when you can come home with your hands full of game. Well done mate. Practice makes perfect and what better way to get your eye in.

Looks like yellow rabbit curry for dinner or a rabbit paella (spanish dish normally with chicken prawns mussles and saffron rice), very nice, just replace the chicken with rabbit.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

22hornet

Good tally Andy. Looks like you had a great, but chilly, night out.
Rolling some bunnies is great fun. :D

It's funny the things we are willing to do in the freezing cold and the times we use a bit of a chill as an excuse to get out work.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

davidlt89

Quotenot having shot for a while, my aim was off.
I'm sure thats the reason your aim was off.;)
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

Thanks lads.
It was an ok tally but not more than ok. And you're right about the cold.
Same with rain too.
Normally wild dinosaurs wouldn't get me out on a rainy day.
But tell me there's deer/goats/pigs "in them there hills" and I'll hoist a day pack on, sling my rifle over my shoulder and hike all over the place until my boots are squelching, my pants are soaked through and I'm beginning to shiver.
Ironically I've rarely got much game in those circumstances but I'll still head out and try.
Dave, are you suggesting I'm a rubbish shooter?
If you are you'd be right. :confused:
Cheers & God Bless

22hornet

Why didn't you take the little .25-20 out for a spell?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

I know, seems like a sensible idea.

Two really good reasons actually:
  • I need to sort the current load so it's accurate. It should be deadly once sorted because they're custom made 75gr FPs made by Tom Turton especially for 25-20s. He makes them with light jackets for good expansion at low velocity and they have a slightly larger diameter because he's made them for the worn bbls of the old lever guns that have become really popular with Western Action shooters. BUT the load isn't sorted yet. However more importantly.......
  • We're culling bunnies at that property by special agreement and it is within town boundaries. That means the conditions include only using .22 subsonic ammunition. We were using it the other night and in the frosty, still conditions the relatively quiet crack of the shots was disturbingly loud.
Bottom line is whilst the 25-20 is barely faster than 22lr hi velocity ammo it still uses a lot more powder....13gr or there abouts....and the bullets clip along at 1650fps, solidly over the sound barrier. It's a great rifle for knocking over bunnies, hares and foxes out to 100yds around stockyards or in the fields but not suitable for the historic house contract.
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: