"Hunting Journals"

Started by buckshot roberts, January 03, 2012, 04:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

What's ya'll opinion on these, Myself I have kept notes from season to season, but never a journal for somekind. What put me to mind of keeking one was maybe someday some of the family would read it, and that I left myself log'ed on to www.photobucket.com  and some how this person cleaned out all my pics, for the last five years, some I had on a few CD's but this past years pics are gone now, back to the journal, I found that alot are avalable from six to fifty dollars, and some are not realy that bad.I got one started as of the first of this year...............Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

I kept one for a few years, made it myself with a spare piece of deer hide, three split rings and some heavy paper,  but haven't written in it the last couple years.  I would sum up the hunt and put a picture in it.   I say go for it.  My brother keeps a log of every animal killed at camp, time, date, location, age, weight, *** and so on.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

I have kept records of my kills over the years, but that's not the same as a "Journal". My opinion is that the reasons you give are the best reasons to keep one - mainly for your descendants. I think they are invaluable.

It's sort of too late for me to start a 'journal' now, but I am writing my "memoirs" so to speak. The only reason is for my children and grandchildren. I would give anything to have a record of my maternal grandmother's life or my paternal grandfather's life. I will try to leave something of that for my grandkids.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

I don't keep any real records of my hunts except for the od photo and even then it has only been lately. Photobucket is an easy way of storing and sharing memories.
It's disappointing I didn't have more photos really, so many memories "lost".

I think it is very important to keep track of things. Whether it is your life or family history, local sports clubs history etc it is easier to write it down now rather than research it later on. The passage of time, new people coming in all has an effect.
I'm getting some histroy of my soccer club down on paper, I know my parents were at the start of things, but the whole story is spread over a dozen people.
The same with my local fire brigade. Some people I would have like to got thoughts off have now past on.

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup:RBH not a bad idea to make your on, I started mine on the first January with a squirrel hunt.....Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

here's what I did
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:grin: RBH.. that is one good job, you done good on making it, I'll have to try it myself.......Ron

davidlt89

That looks really good Glenn and has given me some ideas!! I think a journal is an excellent idea but have never kept one. I do have track of all my kills each year since 1987 on the door of an old gun rack out in the garage. Actually, I have not done that in a couple years!!!! this was something I was really starting to think about once my sons start to hunt. Great topic Ron!!!! I believe I will get this started next year!!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

Thank you.  The hardest part was the paper.  I bought some heavy paper/card stock at the office store, then put different game animal watermarks and lines on it (in MS Word)and printed.  If you do that, I would do it in black and white and low settings, as the heavy paper sucked up about $30 in ink.  Much more than regular paper.  If I did it again I would probably just not print the lines or watermark on the paper, or have it done at the office store if price was reasonable.  Otherwise it would have been real cheap.  If you don't feel like tanning a hide, and really who does, see if you can find an old leather suitcase or satchell or something to salvage the leather from.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Tags: