Lock Rings

Started by Hunterbug, February 12, 2017, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

I have a COAX (Bonanza now Forster) press so I hafta use COAX lock rings. I've heard the Hornadys are the same thickness?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I thought they were all the same thickness.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Quote from: recoil junky;147117I have a COAX (Bonanza now Forster) press so I hafta use COAX lock rings. I've heard the Hornadys are the same thickness?

RJ

I do believe that you are correct. I have some things lock rings cannot think of which bra d of dies they came off of at the moment. A coax press holds the die by the lock ring in a slot if I remember correctly that is why that is important correct?

farmboy

A friend has a coax I have never looked at it real close they sure have a reputation for loading accurate ammo. Another friends has his grand dad's Hollywood press that thing is built. I have like the look of ch champion presses as well never seen o e in person.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah get that a lot with the co-ax here but it mostly smacks of 'I paid £350 for the press so it has to be the best'. Honestly there is so much advertising guff attached to it, bit like fishing lures.
I looked one over and in my opinion from an engineering perspective it really is no better than anything else out there, toggle arms are thin, the 'floating' die holder is a euphemism for 'too much work to do it right - people will believe the floating bs' (floating allows misalignment from the outset and does not correct it).

As to loading 'accurate' ammo, it will be no better than any other press out there, I mean with all the expensive slop built in it cannot be better!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

There is a simple test, have  some ammo built on different presses and dies to the same spec, mix em all up then sort them by 'who made what' - no cheating with markers or different headstamps etc.

I generally use rcbs and redding dies (I like green) on 6 different presses bullet run-out is not something I worry about any more, the run-out gauge does not see any use any more.
Careful case prep is what matters along with keeping tools clean.
Colour of the die box is a legitimate choice for what dies to use - btw for what it's worth, I have had junk dies from all the manufacturers.

As a case in point I load 22Hornet on a lee 4 hole turret press, everyone will say it is junk - well it produces super ammo same as my rock chucker, same as my T7, same as my ammo master, same as my lee classic cast.
The only pain was making the powder through / case flare adapter.
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;147118I thought they were all the same thickness.

Paul

It is the flats on the sides of the hornady lock nuts that make them unsuitable for the co-ax. Forster dies have a circular knurled split ring without flats.
Turvey Stalking

farmboy

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

Tags: