Things may be different next year....

Started by sakorick, November 09, 2020, 12:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

...with my Deer rifle choice. As much as I like the vanilla '06, I have a 338-'06 AI downstairs that has never been hunted. Sounds like ding dong school. The 338 shoots a 200 grain Accubond at 2792 fps and is sub MOA. In the West stand I have the chance at a 400 yard shot so clearly the 338 would give me an easier shot. Any thought appreciated.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jamie.270

That .338-06 sounds like just the ticket to me.
You're gonna have to dial-in a little more elevation.

Being certain of the range should be easy enough though.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Hunterbug

I think that the 338-06 really needs to have it's day. I used my 338 Win Mag with 200gr Accubonds for deer one year and the buck was on the ground before the sound of the shot got to him.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;155389I think that the 338-06 really needs to have it's day. I used my 338 Win Mag with 200gr Accubonds for deer one year and the buck was on the ground before the sound of the shot got to him.

Just the way I like it!!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I'm sold on the .338 caliber for North America. On cases from .223 to Lapua, it's a very versatile and EFFECTIVE caliber. The MV you mention - 2792f/s - is more than 150f/s faster than I load my .338 MAI to with 225-grain Accubonds, and as you know, it slams them to the ground! That's also faster than I load both my .338 Win Mags to, (2650f/s), using the same bullet. The .338-06 is my second-favorite .338 cartridge. I like it even better than the .338 Win Mag.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: