high five to you all

Started by richard63, September 16, 2006, 03:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard63

new member just wanted to say hello.just got my hunting permit ,not so easy here in denmark.it,s a very interesting site,it will probly take me a while to find my way around.Is brithunter still around?...regards  to you all .bye for now.

M. R. Byrd

Richard,
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your hunting permit. Here in the United States, we just take it for granted that we can hunt. I know it is different in Denmark and else where in the world. All the best to you in your hunting pursuits.

I am an 'ol farm boy from Dodge City, Kansas. I am a businessman and also take care of a small family farm that has been in the family for 101 years. It is a rough piece of earth, not good for much, other than to raise some wildlife. I have pheasant, bob white quail and lesser prairie chicken(a canidate for the threatened species list). I also have whitetail deer and mule deer and now an occasional elk. Plenty of coyotes looking for a meal. I have two grown sons that come back to hunt with me. I do travel to Colorado for an annual elk hunt.

This forum is a great place with helpful, friendly people, including our friend Brithunter.

Welcome and God Bless,

Maynard Reece Byrd
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

richard63

hello maynard
thanks for the welcome, i do feel lucky to have found this site and appreciate your post.your family farm sounds idyllic,a place where you and your boys can really enjoy some quality time together.There is a lot of history around the family farm,something to be proud off.

It,s nice to read that your boys come home and you can go and hunt together,thats what i would like for my own,that will be in a few years as they are so young.At 43 I am new to hunting and just as new to parenting.I have also to boys, russell 19 months and alexander 12 weeks,so as you can imagine my wife and i have our hands full.we have a black labrador who is nearly 3 and she has completed one year off puppy training and a year off hunting training, so every thing is ticking along .
You mentioned a few animals aruond your farm.But i have not seen a mule deer before I will be looking in to that.
It,s a while since I had a good look at a geography book,but a subject i really enjoyed at school,for me kansas is rolling prarie large farms,colerado is maybe more mountains,is that close.
the hunters I know Talk about elk hunting in sweden,magnificent animals.They have elk hounds over there, the breed probly goes back to the vikings.
what do use when your hunting,dogs rifles shotguns.?

I was reading something from brithunter talking about parker-hale to another man it was this that brought me to the site in the first place,I will probly choose between a paker-hale safari or an old carl gustarv 98 ,old and reliable when I buy my first Rifle .so I hope to catch up with him.
Well maynard it,s been a plesure to Write to you,It,s the first time I writen on the net so If
Im not doing it correctly ;a word in my ear would be more than welcome.
warmest regards,richard.(63 is my date of birth,when do you become senior member?)

M. R. Byrd

Richard-
Sounds like you have a wonderful family.

So you are not familar with a mule deer, let me share a couple of photos

Photo 1- My then sixteen year old son with a 6 x 7 mule deer and me with a 5 x 5 mulie at the farm

Photo 2- The same son more recently with a whitetail at the farm

Photo 3- My oldest son in Colorado elk hunting

Photo 4- Me with a 5 x 5 elk in Colorado, 2005

God Bless,
Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

richard63

Dear Maynard,

Thanks for those informative pictures. I am surprised at the size of those deer - they are huge. What kind of rounds are you using for those? Your boys must be capable hunters and the scenery looks fantastic. What time of the year was that when you was out?

Russell´s got two teeth on the way out so is having a sleepless night so can´t be on here for long.

Regards

Richard

M. R. Byrd

Richard-
There is a saying that "A picture is worth a thousand words". Well I disagree in that these pictures leave a lot to be said, and there is certainly a good story to go with each of these animals, but I'll save that for later.

The deer in photo 1 were killed with a .243 Winchester, Model 70 Winchester. The whitetail in photo 2 was killed with a .30-06. The scenery in photo 3 is western Colorado. The elk killed in photo 4 was killed with a .300 Remington Ultra Mag from a Browning A-Bolt with a Shepherd scope.

Take care and God Bless,

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Tags: