Do you handgun hunt for whitetails?

es
18 (56.3%)
o
14 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteHoggsrus: Where you from?

That @shaw.ca in the handle indicates Canada, and their gun laws would seem appropriate for his post.

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Paul Hoskins

I have used a 10 inch Contender in 7/30 waters but it sure isn't my idea of a gun for hunting.    .........Paul H

bomonster

Daryl, They use to make a Six in .357 and of course it also shot the .38 specials. I'll be using a S&W 460 XVR but still haven't figured out which load, it shoots either the .45 long colt, .454 casul or the 460 in Hornady. scoped with a small red dot. will be out next week with all three just playing around.

LvrLover

I use a blackhawk in 44 mag with JFN winchester or JHP federal "cheap" loads for deer. I always have it on me even when I carry a rifle. I have found its easier to move in a stand when they sneak in to close than a rifle - less movement. It puts em down hard and they don't go far. I use open sights and they are set a little high at 50 yards and all 6 will go in a paper plate at 100 - if I have a good rest and do my part. I have never shot a deer past 50 yards with it though.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

bowhunter 51

That exactly what I'd like to have, a Blackhawk 44 mag...........
Might git me one,..........one of these days.............since squirrel season
started,...I've been less than ....say....20-25 yrds from deer, half doz.
times........yep...git me a carry-permit to go with 'em.................BH51.........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: bomonster;83503Daryl, They use to make a Six in .357 and of course it also shot the .38 specials. I'll be using a S&W 460 XVR but still haven't figured out which load, it shoots either the .45 long colt, .454 casul or the 460 in Hornady. scoped with a small red dot. will be out next week with all three just playing around.

They used to make a smaller framed Blackhawk; same size as the New Vaquero that they're making now.

Are you sure that's not what you're thinking of?  The Single Six has always been a rimfire except for the .32 H&R mags that aren't being made any more.

I've searched, and asked questions of those who are in the know, and they say a Single Six in .357 was never made.

???

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

subsonic

Wow. This thread is back from the grave!

I'm at it again this year. Trying to decide between my 5.5" Ruger AccuSport Bisley .45LC with some sort of bullet (still playing with bullets for best accuracy - gave up on the 270SAA...) or my T/C Contender with a 10" .30 Herrett barrel and 2.5-8x Leupold.

Leaning toward the Bisley "today" :biggthumpup:

Steve D

I'm overgunned for whitetails. I'm shooting a TC Encore in 338-06 JDJ, made for elk/moose. I call her "Enough." I actually shoot my fireforming loads for deer.  I would love to acquire a somewhat milder barrel for deer, say 6.5x47, or 7 TCU.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

911JB

Hello subsonic .
 Yes I hand gun hunt . And my preferred hand cannon is a TC 44 mag , super 14 inch barrel and a Nikon 2.5-8 power sitting on top . I set it at 50 yards but like most TC shooters a shooting stick is required .  

JB

motor (deceased)

I tried it one time and never again..i missed the same doe three times in a row..that told me it wasn;t my thing..i
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

motor (deceased)

I tried it one time and never again..i missed the same doe three times in a row..that told me it wasn;t my thing..i had a 44 magnum..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

Steve D

I had my milsurps out yesterday at the range.   I think I wouldn't do any worse with my handgun.  I would at least have an excuse.  :greentongue:
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

trahanml

I use a Remington XP 100 in 7mm BR . I shoot 120 gr. Nosler ballistic tips  with 31.5 gr. of IMR 4320. It shoots out to 100 yard in a 1 inch group and I have taken many deer out to 150 yards with it. It is a gun that really builds confidence when it comes to pulling the trigger.

ForneyRider

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 41 magnum with 4x Burris scope.

I practiced a lot and made my 210gr JSP and JHP to suit me. I take it in the stand, but haven't had an opportunity. My dad's stand gets a lot of up close shots, maybe I can swap. :)

I am comfortable to 35-30 yards with it. I will continue to practice with hopes of working up to solid 75-100 yard range.

It kills the hogs we catch in live trap very well.
When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

bfrshooter

I use only revolvers after archery season. I have killed many deer with the Ruger Old Army cap and ball using Swiss powder and a round ball. Next is my SBH and SRH .44's. My Vaquero .45 is next. My favorite is my BFR .475 and then the BFR 45-70 revolver. I have lost count of the deer but I will never go back to any rifle.  
It really becomes easy to kill deer with a revolver if you just find the right loads and practice. I usually grab a different gun for each deer.
I shoot off hand and have no trouble out to 100 yd's. My friends and I are holding 6" groups at 100 off hand and from bags, most of our revolvers will do 1" or less.
I find it hard to post pictures here because most are too large. I will try Photobucket.

Tags: