Best Squirrel Gun

Started by .260deerSlayer, December 07, 2004, 03:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

English

I'm partial to a .22 myself.  My go to squirrel gun right now is a Rem 597.  I also use my Browning Buckmark quite a bit.  I also use several other .22s from time to time.

Jay, that 66 is a beautiful gun.  I have been fighting this hankering for a Rem model 12 with octagon barrel for quite some time.  I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna loose the battle sooner or later.  When pretty much dictated by what other "toys" I'm hankering for when the right deal comes up.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

llanero

I use my stock 10-22 these days, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a Marlin 39A because of its vaunted accuracy and its ability to use the .22short, which out of that long barrel, should be a real quiet number.

But now y'all got me thinking about BP on squirrels---hmmmmm...interesting.
There ain\'t too many things a man cain\'t fix with $700 and a .30/06.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Well...new year so I get to put up my muzzle loading squirrel gun.

This one has an original Golcher lock and is .32 caliber..it's like carrying a walking stick.

RumRunner

Quote from: Jay EdwardWell...new year so I get to put up my muzzle loading squirrel gun.

This one has an original Golcher lock and is .32 caliber..it's like carrying a walking stick.

I could have started my New Year very well, with out seeing that.
I guess you never get too old to get a warm fuzzy when you see the things that are really important in life......

Happy New Year
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

NUMBERFARMER

I'm no black powder fan, but I must confess Jay, that's a sweet looking little rifle.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Thanks RumRunner and NumberFarmer...a fella always appreciates admiration for a favorite firearm.

The rifle reflects the lineage of a 'Tennessee Poorboy' but has quite a bit of iron on it.  For those who have not hunted with this type of rifle, there is just no way to explain the 'feel' of the rifle.  It certainly carries one back.

To me there are two facets to hunting.  The finding and stalking of the game...and the taking of the game by specific methods.  Like most of you, I've taken my share of squirrels (both tree and ground) and other small game.  But the method has become more important to me now.  

My first experience with taking Grouse with a rifle was with my Model 69A Winchester .22LR using peep sights.  From there an unusual set of circumstances led me to a different approach.

I had traded into an original, unaltered Martini Cadet.  It was, as usual in .310 Martini.  I was going to alter it to .357 Magnum but was a little lazy about getting around to the job.  I had been given a box of .32-20 at one time and thought I might try it in the little rifle just 'for grins'.  It shot wonderfully.

Hmmmmm...so I made up a sizing die, trimmed the fired cases, found a bullet mould and started to reload.  From the first it shot great with re-loads.  For a number of years I used it exclusively to hunt Prairie Dogs and Grouse.

It was a small slim little rifle and felt good in my hands.  Sooo...it wasn't too much of a jump to a longer percussion muzzle loader.  'Small caliber' wasn't good enough...it had to feel like a smaller rifle.  It is for this reason that I reject a full size muzzle loader, of any ilk, made with a small caliber barrel.  It's just not the same.  

When you approach the problem using a muzzle loader, you can see that the 'lock, stock & barrel' need to be in harmony.  The only really special item on this muzzle loader is the original Golcher lock, which I traded for.  The other custom feature that you cannot get 'off the shelf' is the drum into which the nipple is threaded.  I made that on the lathe.

You know...I don't even have to cast round balls for this rifle.  It shoots a No.1 buckshot size wrapped in a patch.

sav17

we only have the grey squirrel(tree climbing variety)Iused to favour my mauser semi auto in 22lr which has a sound moderater fitted ,so using sub sonic ammunition i found it to be quieter than my air rifle ,but these days find my savage 17 hmr using hornady v max ammunition must more effective stops them dead in their tracks. ihave a moderator on the savage but you still hear quite a loud crack because of the speed of that tiny bullet and of course the carcass is not much good for anything afterwards, but you do get a quick humane kill :rolleyes: i still use the semi for rabbit coz i eat them .i also have a .223 cal tikka that i use for fox.love my savage though, stainless barrel laminate stock ,looks as good as it shoots ;)
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: sav17love my savage though, stainless barrel laminate stock ,looks as good as it shoots
[/size]

Don't be shy about puttin' up a picture of it Sav17...always willin' to see another shootin' iron.

sav17

Iwill get the digital camera out and post you a few shots of my rifles tommorow if i can work out how to do it, glad i know more about hunting than i do computers,still trying to work them out:o

sav17

Quote from: Jay EdwardDon't be shy about puttin' up a picture of it Sav17...always willin' to see another shootin' iron.
WELL YOU DID ASK,TOOK ME A WHILE TO WORK IT OUT,HAD TO CONVERT TO SOMETHING CALLED JPEG,THEM THEY WHERE TO BIG SO I HAD TO DOWNLOAD ANOTHER PROGRAMME TO RESIZE THEM,WHAT A NIGHTMARE,GOT THE HANG OF IT KNOW THOUGH SO LOOK OUT IN A WEEK OR SO YOU BE BEGGING ME NOT TO SEND PICS HA HA,PUT SOME IN" NEED FOR SPEED" AS WELL ,I THOUGHT SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE TO SEE MY TRANSPORT.THANKS FOR TALKING TO ME .FROM RICHIE
:)

gitano

Quote from: RumRunnerDon, when I lived on the "right" coast, ie, Appalachian Mountains of Virginia, I owned a very similar gun, a Mdl24V. It was also .22RF, but it was over a .410.
Every squirrel in that part of the state knew me, and that little gun, by name. If I remember correctly, back in the 1960's, the bag limit was something like 20 or 24 a day and squirrels were VERY plentiful. Gosh! How I miss those days!

I strongly believe the days spent "Skwirl Huntin" are not counted against a man in the final tally. Heck, I would go so far as to say it might even be considered the "Prince of Sports", and possibly give one an edge when it comes to longevitiy.

Today I find myself doing most of my hunting with a muzzleloader. Although I currently don't have a good squirrel rifle in .32 or .36 cal, I did rather well last month in Jackson, Miss with a .50 GPR flinter. In that part of the country, on that particular hunt, it seemed you could have taken a squirrel with a Tennis Racket if you didn't have a rifle. I did spend a very nice Thanksgiving hunting squirrel with some old friends...a combination that's hard to beat.

Some of my most memorable hunts are that of "Skwirl" hunting. I think I would like a gun such as you described. I can see a very "practical" outfit there...a bit European perhaps, but very practical.

Squirrels in my neck of the woods are either protected, or inedible...unless you also like "deep fried pine cones". I'm told there are a few Gray Squirrel in the North Eastern part of the state that are edible, but I've never hunted them.
But when I go back east, I always make sure it's that time of year when I can go squirrel hunting.

Hear! Hear!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

CAfrica

Jay, That 61 is a real beaut.  I just love the trombones.  Personally I prefer the 62 despite the fact that it is top eject.  Just prefer the exposed hammer to the hammerless one and also the old style straight stock they fitted to it.

I noticed the other day that Browning still builds the 61, but apparently in their custom shop only so it is reserved for those people who rob banks for a living.  They had a pic in their catalogue of one with gold inlay engraving and everything, made me want to take up bank robbing just to be able to afford one.

C

m gardner

I live in Colorado but when I lived in the northeast we loved squirrel hunting. The best part was Gramma would take them away from us at the door and skin them and immediately cook them. I've used squib loads in my deer rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, pistols, and 22 rifles. But my all time favorite was the 5mm Remington. It shot flat and was accurate enough for headshots to 75 yards or more. The new 17 hrm will probably do wonders too, but I've not had the need to buy one yet. God bless and good hunting.

CAfrica

Here is a pic of the Browning 61 from the catalogue, sorry its a bit grainy.

drinksgin (deceased)

C;
Rossi and or Taurus have a bunch of Winchester ripoffs, sorry, clones , you might check out their site, here the clones are really overpriced, not much, but some.
A local pawn shop even has used ones at more than Wal mart's new prices, of course, he wants 125 for a NEF 20ga, Wal mart sells new ones for less than 90, oh well, he also blows smoke in your face and spits on his floor.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: