Buck worth Scoring ??

Started by Antler3, December 08, 2004, 12:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antler3

All you pro's out there....can anyone tell me how big a muzzleloader whitetail buck needs to be before you have him scored ? The one I took couple years back I scored him at 160 do you think I need to get him proffessionally scored. Just don't know if he's big enough or if someone may laugh at me ha ha .:D
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

If you scored him at 160, then he ought to be big enough to call in the pros to do it officially...

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Gmoney

Definately get him scored.....is he typical or non...?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Antler3

Well I just called a guy near me that scores them and he explained to me the difference in typical and non-typical and from what he said this one is a typical. he does have a broke eye guard but the man said that didn't matter. His main beams are 18 inches on the right and 20 inches on the left. Both circum. are 5 inches at the base. He has one g2 at 9 inches and the other is 8, the next ones or guess it would be g3's are 9 and 7. may give you some idea as to his size. He is now 18 and three quarter inside spread ( has shrunk )
ANTLER 3

RatherBHuntin

get that hoss over to the nearest scorer asap. When me and a pal "scored" mine last year we got about 150, when the state biologist did it he got 182. Let them pros give it a go and I bet he grows abit. A typical whitetail has to net score 160 to get entered into the Boone and Crocket record book, and it sounds like your close.  

B&C
  score sheet
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Antler3

Well i scored him using the B&C score sheet and it came up to final score of 122. So he's not as big as I'd hoped. But am going to get him scored by a pro. I have a licensed scorer not to far from me so wouldn't hurt. he had 18 deducted so would have been a 140. Am proud to have taken him none the less. hunted him two year before he made a mistake and the hunt its self and the way it all played out makes him a trophy to me. Thanks for all the input is greatly appreciated.
ANTLER 3

Gmoney

Well I did some quick figuring and without the "eyeguards" or brow tine length you have approx. 122 3/4 inches...I estimated the 2nd and 3rd circumference measurements using your 5" bases.... so your score sounds about right.....nothing wrong this this deer....he sounds like a good one....take care
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Antler3

Thanks Gmoney for your interest and input.........nice talking with good folk about things have learned so much.
ANTLER 3

Tags: