Afternoon adventure

Started by Daryl (deceased), December 11, 2004, 06:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

Went out with a calling buddy this afternoon.  The first three stands were por nada, but then things livened up a little.

We set up on a mesquite flat with a wide, shallow drainage in the bottom.  My calling buddy was to my left, the e-caller about 40 yards in front, and the wind was in my face.  After listening to the bunny blues for about 20 minutes, I was about to give up when my buddy's rifle cracked and I heard the bullet impacting flesh.  Looking to my left, I saw another coyote running from right to left.  I caught him in the scope, followed him for about 60 yards 'till he hit a good spot that was open, led him just a bit and touched off my rifle.  I heard the bullet smak and saw dust coming up where the coyote had been.  My buddy also got a shot at a third coyote and missed it.

The last stand was on the side of a big but shallow canyon.  After about 10 minutes of calling, my buddy's rifle cracked and again I heard the bullet impact flesh; only I was wondering what he shot at?  I hadn't heard a thing!

Turned out another coyote had came in behind a hill and some brush.  It was hidden to me, but it died anyway! :)

Not a bad afternoon of calling.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

AZ,

Sounds like a good day for you and yore buddy.....bad day for the yotes....Makes up for the days when you should have stayed in bed!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Hunterbug

That's a good day. I'm going out next weekend to try my luck.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Daryl (deceased)

We went out again this afternoon.  Called in one...and missed it.  My calling buddy shot to quick!

Oh well, still better than sitting around the house!

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

You said it AZ!

You don't have to score every time. Just the thrill of the chase is enough...

Sometimes the yotes win...(Probably more than we do..)

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

redrover

Hunted Friday Evening over a roadkill when a huge snowstorm pulled in and finished that.
Hunted Saturday. Nothing. Walked into the spot and scouted. It is loaded with snowshoe hares so it will be a good spot once the snow really gets in here. We're getting another huge snowstorm tonight so we'll be up to about a foot of snow and we got two more roadkills to put out.
Do you guys get any snow out there in Arizona?

Redrover

Daryl (deceased)

Redrover,

Yes, we get snow here.  There's snow in the mountains a mile from my house, but nothing in the valley right now.  It doesn't last long in 60-70 degree weather! LOL

Was cold for a few days, but now it's t-shirt weather again.  

Az

RIP Linden33

born2bhuntin

Good for you Daryl!
Where was your camera? Still like to see pictures. We carry a small digital all the time. Video is different-we have some good videos. But sometimes they know your looking for them on camera and we don't call anything and blame it on that-when nothing comes in! We will be doing some yote hunting during the Christmas week!
>-------->  >-------->
"BORN TO BE HUNTING"

redrover

AZ,
we just got about  8 inches yesterday and last night the wind started howling and we got about 12 inches from Lake Superior. If the wind stops, the snow will stop. So it will be awhile before the coyotes can get out of the swamps.  Until the snow settles we have hockey.

I talked to one hunter up here and he  said they hunt the rivers. the coyotes use them pretty much. So maybe the roadkill will be along the river.

redrover

azhdryder

Great job az, Im going slowely nuts here waiting on my rifle,  4 days off with great weather and I didnt get out at all. Im jealous  :(
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Kit

Quote from: redroverAZ,
I talked to one hunter up here and he said they hunt the rivers. the coyotes use them pretty much. So maybe the roadkill will be along the river.

redrover
Every time I hear them here, they are back towards/along the creek.  If I'm lazy and don't look this up for myself is it ok to just ask what is "calling" and what do you do with the coyotes when you get them?

Daryl (deceased)

Kit,

"Calling" is a technique for hunting predators.  Basically, you head out in the woods, use a call to sound like wounded prey animals, and try to tempt the predator into coming in for a free meal.  

Hunting the hunters by becoming the hunted, if you will.  It's not as easy as it sometimes sounds.

Lots of people leave coyotes laying where they drop, but I'm not fond of that for myself.  I usually skin the coyote to utilize the hide, and a buddy of mine feeds the carcasses to his hunting dogs.  The hides sometimes don't bring much cash, but the coyotes need to be kept in check and it makes me feel like I have a reason for doing it.

Take care,
Daryl

RIP Linden33

redrover

Kit,
I call coyotes using mouth and electronic calls and by using bait. I started two years ago on a whim. I picked up a call and took a ride until some tracks crossed the road following some deer tracks. I walked about ten yards from my truck and started calling using a Lohman Circe adjustable call. I called for about 30 seconds every couple of minutes for about 3 minutes, then quit. About three minutes later I saw something coming through the thigh-dee snow.. It was a coyote up the hill about 50 yards away in the trees. I got the gun on him and never got a shot as he went behind a tree and back down the opposite side of the hill. I've been hoked pretty bad ever since.
When we kill a coyote we skin them for the pelts.
I  hunt them because it is challenging. It seems like the coyotes always know where the private land is here. There is plenty of public land, but they go into super sneak on that. It is also a good way to get out of the house with my son or friends and do some late season hunting.

Redrover

Tags: