Bear Killed By Combine

Started by LvrLover, December 07, 2008, 09:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrLover

This bear was run over by a combine about 20 miles SW from my house. My daughter's teacher and family had seen it for several years. They said it could stand on its hind legs and look at them over the corn that was 8ft tall earlier this year. Apparently it had dug a den in the field to winter in and the combine ran it over. It weighed 620lbs dressed and was 7ft from nose to tail. Probably the biggest wild black bear I have ever seen. Same thing happened 2 years ago about 20 miles west of here. An old farmer that I know said its happened several other times that he knows . I would have liked to see him over a bait! This is an area full of farms and rural housing not in the "big woods". They like the corn. If you ever see where they were eating, they just sit down and pull every stalk they can reach to them until they flatten a big circle and then move and do it again until they are done. They can make a mess!
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Daryl (deceased)

When I click on the link, I get a pop-up window asking for a user name and password.

Looks like you have to be a member of something to view the page.

That said, it sounds like a big bear.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

Same here....freaked me out......................and you say they're subject to
dig a hole in an open cornfield,   lay-up in it, and a big combine takes-em
out?.........they must be trying to hybernate and their drowsy-slow
reaction time spells their end....I never.....huh?..............................BH51.............
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

LvrLover

Sorry, my screw up. I'll try to fix it.

LvrLover

Sorry, my screw up. Take a look now, and yes BH thats what they figure is happening. I'm not sure why they den up in a field when there are lots of spots in the woods under trees and stream banks and such.

Daryl (deceased)

A combine?  Man, talk about your knock down power!

:D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

thats a big bear!!! I think I have heard of that happening once up here. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

motor (deceased)

I wouldn't want to meet him in a cyprus swamp..  i'e seen a lot o black bears but none near that big..

The American Black Bear usually ranges in length from 150 to 180 cm (5 to 6 feet) and typically stands about 76 to 91 cm (2.5 to 3 feet) at the shoulder.[3] Standing up on its hind feet, a Black Bear can be up to 7 feet tall (2.12 m).[4] Males are 33% larger than females.[5] Females weigh between 40 and 180 kg (90 and 400 pounds); males weigh between 115 and 275 kg (250 and 600 pounds) [1]. Adult black bears can reach 300 kg (660 pounds) [2], but exceptionally large males have been recorded from the wild at up to 240 cm (95 inches) long and at least 365 kg (800 pounds). The biggest American Black Bear ever recorded was a male from North Carolina that weighed 881 lbs (400 kilograms).[6] At the other extreme, very small adult bears can weigh as little as 39 kg (85 lbs) in females and 47 kg (103 lbs) in males.[7] Cubs usually weigh 200 to 450 g (between 7 ounces and 1 pound) at birth. The adult has small eyes, rounded ears, a long snout, a large body, and a short tail. It has an excellent sense of smell. Though they generally have shaggy black hair, the coat can vary in color from white through chocolate-brown, cinnamon-brown, and blonde (found mostly west of the Mississippi River), to black in the east (the same is generally true in Canada, the border being between Manitoba and Ontario). They occasionally have a slight V-shaped white chest blaze. The tail is 4.8 inches (12.12 cm) long.[5]
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

rockinbbar

Motor,

Man, I'm sure glad to see ya here!

Have you been having trouble with your computer?
You have like 16 links in your post....;)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Paul Hoskins

Biggest bear I ever saw in the woods probably weighed 550 pounds on the hoof. Didn't get a shot at it. Thanks for sharing. Really intresting.   .........Paul H

Tags: