Range Report for the H.A.W.

Started by Mauserfan in TX, April 26, 2009, 01:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauserfan in TX

I said earlier that this thing liked the loads that my Mauser did'nt. I had approx. 80-100 .308 Win loads stored away in an ammo can and decided i would use them to sight it in , then work up a load for it later. Little did i know it would like these so well. Range was only 50 yds, but that is good enough for what i will use this for.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

gitano

It's always nice when we fall in a puddle and come out smellin' like a rose. :)

Good shootin'. Looking for pictures of dead critters now.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Mauserfan in TX

Thanx Paul, I shot those groups using a home made rest , while leaning on the hood of my jeep. I fired the 125 bt's first. 1st hit high left hand corner, 2nd just on the 9 ring, the 3rd split the X . the last 2 shots made the group. The optic on the rifle is an old Tasco 2x pistol scope i had in my spare parts box. I was really pleased when the 150 gnrs printed just as good. I will have to give Chico a break this season and play with this  thing a lot . I don't know what kind of velocity i am getting out of the loads, but i guess it won't matter. A long shot out in the swamp is only about 60 yds.  Just goes to show y'all if you give a redneck i dremel tool, some spray paint , a drill press , and a ice cold ShinerBach or two, ain't no tellin what we will come up with. Take Care All.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

22hornet

I love those 125gn Ballistic Tips. What a great projectile.

It great when you don't have to play around trying to find a load your rifle likes too. :D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: Mauserfan in TX;92353...... and a ice cold ShinerBach or two, ain't no tellin what we will come up with. Take Care All......

Mauserfan, not only did you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.....you also have great taste in beer!!!!:bowdown:

BTW, Spoetzel brewery is celebrating their 100th year of making Shiner Bock.....and I am doing my part for the celebration....:biggthumpup: :hat:

Ol' John:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

QuoteI love those 125gn Ballistic Tips. What a great projectile.
If you like those, you should try the 110 and 130 HPs. Both are great bullets in the .308 Win. Of the two, I prefer the 130 for the bigger stuff because of it's large, open meplat. But I have a friend that I occasionally load some 110s for in .300 Win Mag. He's a life-long Alaskan, and that's the only rifle he has, and... one with which he has killed armloads of black bears, caribou and moose. All with one bullet - the 110 HP.

Quoteand I am doing my part for the celebration....:biggthumpup: :hat:
Good for you pardner!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Mauserfan in TX

Howdy John ! The son in law went by the Shiner brewery about 3 weeks ago and brought ua back a load of the Shiner 100's ,YUM OH!!! He is a pretty good kid. Howdy ther Paul, I have a bunch of the Hornady 110 gn Spire points out in the shop. I use them for my SKS which is my home defense gun. I have thought about loading a few for the H.A.W, and see how the local snapping turtle poulation liked them. :biggthumpup:
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

gitano

You eat those turtles? They're uglier than sin, but they're REALLY good eatin'. There's only a couple of pounds of meat on a 5-lb turtle, but I tell you what, it's GOOD!

Actually, the 110 I was thinking of was the Spire Point. There is a 110 HP, but that's not the bullet I have the experience with. The buddy I mentioned uses the 110 Spire Points. They're big-game killers for sure. The way you are describing the hog hunting you do, I'd use 'em for sure. However, there's no need to go to a lighter bullet if there isn't something "wrong" (too much recoil, etc.) with the heavier bullet.

Shore looks like you guys have a lot of fun pig-stickin'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I love it when things seem to just come together. Way to go Mauserfan....I'm impressed. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: