Big Pig Down

Started by Mauserfan in TX, April 26, 2009, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauserfan in TX

Some of y'all have asked me in the past to post some of my hunts. Well here is one of a nice chunky size sow i took .This past Jan. I was hunting on the Langley Ranch in CenterVille Tx. She weighed 227 lbs.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Alboy

I bet Kermit cried himself to sleep that night. Good piggy
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

Nice looking pig and a good looking gun!!!! congrats! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

rockinbbar

That's a big sow!

Good shootin' :)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

Looks like a pretty good'n, to me.......looks like wild pork will be on the
menu for... a while...congratulations, mauserfan...but...where's the beef?
Did I miss the story?....:undecided: ...........................................................................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Mauserfan in TX

Last time i checked there b51, hunting beef on sombody eles' ranch was kind of a felony here in Texas. Would'nt mind trying my hand at a Buffalo one day though. I am glad y'all liked the pic, Don't mind the goofy reading glasses though. The rifle is my pet '96 Spanish Mauser rebuilt to .308 Win. I was using a 150. gn Hornady SST, 46gn Varget and a Win Lg rifle primer. Yes we are still eating on it . Plan on using the rest for a cookout here in the near future, Going to try my hand at Cuban pulled pork. Yum Yum.:biggthumpup:
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Mauserfan in TX

Here is another one. I ttok this boar while hunting a friends 1300 acre deer lease up in N. West Texas around March last year. Using the same rifle and the same load as the previous hunt.My buddy who snapped the pic told me to "ham it up'' so i did , since i had kneeling next to one in the raw. Don't mind the grin, i really do have all my teeth
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

TackyDriver

Nice razorback you got there. How's she taste? Can you tell us a little about how the SST performed on contact? I'm not trying to be morbid, but I wasn't sure how the SST's would work on hogs.

I took my last one with a factory Federal Fusion 165 in 30-06. It was a 30 yard shot between the eyes and I was impressed. I'm still trying to filter hype from reality and any information you can give me would be great help. It probably won't matter here in CA since I'm probably going to be stuck with all copper.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Mauserfan in TX

Hello there T.driver. The Hornady SST i load is the bonded one . There are 2 different kinds. They penetrate very well and i have never had to track any critter i hit with one of those bullets. The Nosler BT and the Hornady SST have proven to be extremely accurate in my mauser. I'll take accuracy above all else any day, as shot placement is the most critical component. The big sow , i hit in the left side of her head at a rather steep shot angle. the bullet completely transceted the skull ,snapped C1&2 and was lodged in the hide behind the right shoulder. Joe figured about 17 or so inches of penetration. He said he did'nt think a plastic tip bullet would drop a big pig like that. The smaller boar i also hit on the left side of his head, entrance wound was just below the left eye and exited at the base of the skull behind the right ear. this was a running shot of approx 65- 70 yds. the bullet hit the pig hard enough to make it turn a back flip, which is why it was a little messy. The exit wound was about the size of a quater.Both pigs, two shots and they were D.R.T. If you have to go the all copper route, You may try the Barnes TSX. I load those for my friend who shoots a 7-08 Thompson Pro Hunter and he has excellent results with them as well. See? Hope this helps.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

TackyDriver

Thanks for the word, Mauserfan. I just got the Barnes reloading guide. Running shots are cool, and impressive. I'm going to practice this summer by having one of my kids roll an old tire down a hill with a piece of cardboard placed inside and a target stuck to the center. It ought to be fun and my kids will get exercise shagging (American baseball term, not the Austin Powers term) the tire and bringing it back up the hill.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

kombi1976

You'd certainly get in trouble for making your kids shag a tyre here in Oz! :eek: :D
Great pigs there, MFTX.
Do you reduce the 308 loads for your M96?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Mauserfan in TX

Howdy Kombi, Long time no chat. As to my M96, I load 46.0 gns of  Varget powder. According to the load data i have 47.5 gn is a max load. When i started to work up the load i used 44.0 gn and went up in 1/2 gn increments until i found the sweet spot. I could drop it back to about 45.0 but my groups open up a bit. I have never had any indicators of over pressure with this load. Not a max load, but not quite reduced either. Hope all is well with you & yours'.
 P.S I call my pet m96 "Chico"
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

kombi1976

Tell me, MFTX, why was it you chose a '96 to re-bbl to 308?
Do you like the action?
I presume this is a Swedish Mauser action.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Mauserfan in TX

Hi  Kombi, the biggest reason i chose this particular action was the price. I paid $75.00 for it in a pawn shop & everything on it was scrapped except the action . It was a spanish'96 and the reason i choose to re-barrell it in .308 Win was: I like the .308 cartridge, The shop i was working in already had the reamers for it. And i got the bbl from Douglas for less than $100.00. The Spanish Mauser actions have a reputation for being weak, so mine was throughly checked out before i rebuilt it.The stock is from Choate. The scope set up is a Redfield one-piece base with the dove tail ring, and the trigger is a Timmney which i have set @2.75 lbs . The cost of the whole project was about $300.00 when completed. At the time i made this rifle ,I was changing carrers and i like to cruise the pawn shops for "mutt Mausers" or Springfields. As a matter of fact , the first time i tried a makeover on a rifle was on a Springfield' 03 {the American Mauser}. I found it in a pawnshop also. I re-barrelled it in 30.06 and refitted to a new stock, replaced the trigger, and fitted it for a scope, All for about $200.00.The bbl and stock and scope mount were spare parts in the shop, so cost was minimal. I guess you can say i am heavy into recycling when it comes to  these projects.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Tags: