Reloadable .22 Long Rifle

Started by TackyDriver, May 01, 2009, 08:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TackyDriver

Gentlemen, Scholars, Lovers of Projectile Throwers:
Went to a local indoor range yesterday to shoot with a friend during our lunches. I've been prepping a couple of .22 rifles for my daughter to learn on starting this summer. I wanted to sight them in after changing the sights. I can't believe how much fun I had. I'd read several articles about .22 rimfires being a cost effective way to practice the basic skills, even if you shoot the big stuff.

That started me thinking. I know that can be dangerous, but I promise not to sprain anything. Anyway, with all of the talk about ammunition shortages and such, I wanted to ask for everyone's opinion. What if, theoretically and for some strange reason, .22 rimfire ammo was not available? What reloadable round would be a good replacement assuming one could still get reloading components? It would have to be:
  • cheap
  • reasonably accurate
  • easy on a student shooter while still learning/reinforcing the basics
  • [/SIZE]
  • components as available as .22 long rifle ammo generally is
  • have a large number of and kinds of firearms to shoot it
  • easy to reload (A novice reloader like myself could gain experience)
  • have as many uses as the .22 long rifle
  • fun
I'd value your opinions. I'd post this as a poll but I want to hear your reasons. If there is enough response, maybe I will move this thread to the polls. Thanks in advance.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Daryl (deceased)

Well, as one who handloads...

Handloading components are harder for me to find right now than .22 LR.  Some powders are available, but the selection is scant.

If you could get powder, then you could cast bullets without too much trouble, as long as you were willing to put in the effort.  Accuracy would be dependent on the loader's abilities to work up a load with existing components.

The hard part would be primers.  They're just not available right now.  At a little over $3 per 100, primers cost about the same the cheaper .22 LR cartridges.

That being the case (pun not intended), it's probably going to be easier to find .22 LR ammo than the components to load cartridges.

Ok, now with all reason set aside...

The .22 hornet would likely be a candidate.  So would the .25 auto, if you were willing to build a rifle chambered for it.  It might be sorta fun, using a TC encore action.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

TackyDriver

I agree with your reasons, Daryl, and your willingness to put reason aside:grin:. This is just a what-if. The .22 Hornet used to be available in revolvers as well as rifles. Now the .25 Auto, that sounds interesting too. I think that the only reason there aren't any rifles for it is the .22 long rifle. But what I really like is that you said it would be FUN. That's got to be as important as cheap. I'm going to look up component costs. I sure hope the primer bottleneck opens up.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Alboy

The 223 Rem would be an option to me. Cases very available along with components as available as ant thing else
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

I'd second Daryl's suggestions. I've been playing with the .25 Auto of late, and it is indeed an interesting/fun round.

Personally, even with cast bullet doing RF velocities, the .223 would be a "bit much" for me.

I've toyed with the idea of taking capgun caps, and trying to reload fired .22 RF. I think "in a pinch", and with some trial and error, I could get it to work. Of course, the "pinch" would have to be a pretty serious one to go to that kind of trouble.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Steve D

This has been a thought in the back of my tiny little mind for a while and I have (with great effort) given it some thought.  I think one of the premises I placed on my own ideas was that I did NOT want to over power the rifle.  In other words, I could actually shoot it in a 22 LR action.  That being the case, any current 22 CF is too much.  (I am not disparaging the 22 hornet, only letting my limits.)  What I came up with was the .25 auto, .32 auto, .32 S&W (or colt, short, etc), or my favorite, the 22 flea (.32 acp necked to .222) and loaded with cast lead.  I actually have an old Springfield 22 SS action that needs rebuilt and I considered putting a 25 caliber barrel on it and chambering in 25 auto.  The only thing stopping me is that I think I would rather rebarrel it in 17 HM2.

Anyway, to summarize:
     .25 Auto
     .32 Auto
     .32 S&W      (In the .32's, I would be very tempted to use 00 buck, like my 32 flint)
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteAnyway, to summarize:
.25 Auto
.32 Auto
.32 S&W (In the .32's, I would be very tempted to use 00 buck, like my 32 flint)

Alright; now you've gone and done it.  I have a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R mag that I'm having trouble finding bullets for, and I don't have a mold, either.

It's 4:30 AM, and here I am sitting at the computer, considering cutting open 4 boxes of 12 gauge 00 buckshot loads, just because I don't shoot a 12 gauge any more.  It's not even like I'm out of .32 H&R mag ammo; I have several hundred rounds loaded and ready to go.

So I'm going back to bed for a little while.  Maybe when I wake up my thoughts will make sense.

:D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Steve D

Now, You've gone and got me back. Just the other day I was drooling over a Single Six in 32 H&R Mag. Seems to me I have seen several molds for lead bullets, but the Mag probably pushes the limits on velocity. I still have what's left of a 10 lb bag of 00. Been using it for years. (I mean, how fast can you use them up in a flint?)
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

subsonic

5.7x28mm is similar to the Hornet, but works better through magazines because it's rimless.

gitano

I forgot about the 5.7. That would be my choice before the .25 ACP.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

32/20 Winchester. Loaded up it will take deer, loaded down it is great for rabbits. And you get to shoot it out of some great lever guns and revolvers to boot! Maybe I need one come to think of it...
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Dogwood Charlie

I would want something that would mimic the 22 LR in performance: Kill small game efficiently without destroying the meat. Here are my picks:

5.45x18mm Soviet  --  40gn bullet @ 1034 fps (pistol). Just about ideal. Problem is it's a steel case. Oh well.

25 NAA (North American Arms) -- 35gn bullet @ 1050 fps (pistol).  This may be my favorite. If you couldn't find cases, they could be formed from 32ACP. It would work in revolvers without moon clips, because its a bottleneck case.

32 NAA -- 60gn bullet @ 1220 fps. Could be loaded down to more closely match the 22. Can be made from 380 cases. My second favorite.

32 S&W or 32 S&W Long -- 98gn bullet @ 705 fps. Problem: rainbow trajectory.

The 25 ACP has a lot less energy than the 22, and would suffer out past 50 yds, and would need moon clips in a revolver as would the 32 ACP. A 32 H&R Mag could shoot all the rimmed 32's, so that's a real plus for it.

So there's my two cents' worth. Now if you could just load ANY of these for two cents like you can buy 22's. Oops, I'm living in the past again. :o Now they're more like a nickel.:D

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteThe 25 ACP has a lot less energy than the 22, and would suffer out past 50 yds, and would need moon clips in a revolver as would the 32 ACP. A 32 H&R Mag could shoot all the rimmed 32's, so that's a real plus for it.

I believe you're right, if we're talking strictly factory ammo.

But, I've little doubt that the .25 acp could be greatly improved upon with handloads.

That said, I sorta like that idea of the .32 caliber.  A SA revolver chambered in .32 H&R mag can also shoot .32 S&W shorts and longs, or even the .32 ACP, which has just enough rim to keep it from sliding down into the chamber.

Since I haven't done it, I'm not sure of the difficulty of making a rifle that could do the same thing as the SA revolver, but it would make a neat, very versatile little rifle.

How close it would be to a .22 LR, I just don't know.  It would be more powerful with full powered loads, and would lose trajectory with lighter loads.  But, it's fairly cheap to handload for if one were to cast their own bullets, and it's certainly a fun caliber to shoot.

And, while we're fantasizing, why not a .25 acp necked down to .22 caliber to accept a cast bullet?

Daryl

RIP Linden33

22hornet

Quote from: Steve D;92507I did NOT want to over power the rifle. In other words, I could actually shoot it in a 22 LR action. That being the case, any current 22 CF is too much. (I am not disparaging the 22 hornet, only letting my limits.)

My .22 Hornet is built on a Sportco rimfire action. Its no heavier than a .22LR.

You can load the hornet right down to .22LR speeds if required.

I think its a perfect candidate. :D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Quotewhy not a .25 acp necked down to .22 caliber to accept a cast bullet?
The 5.7x28 case is 28mm long. The .25 ACP case is 15.5mm long. The .25 ACP head is .276" in diameter, the 5.7x28's head is .313" in diameter. So... the x27 case is definitely larger, by a lot. The necked down .25 ACP would certainly be "mild". That's an interesting idea, Daryl.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: