8mm MUTT

Started by Mauserfan in TX, May 17, 2009, 04:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauserfan in TX

Here is a 8mm Mauser i picked up in a pawn shop a couple of weeks back. It is a '38 Turk, built in 1945. I gave a whole $85.00 for it. The fellow i bought it from said it just would'nt shoot right anymore. He should have checked the scope out, as it was broken.I told Kombi a couple of weeks back i would post it, So here it is Mate.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Mauserfan in TX

Here is another peek
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

gitano

Interesting!

How does it shoot now?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I am by no means an expert on Kale actions but have read several testimonials that they are weak and need to be handled with TLC and downloaded as a matter of safety...Mind you, this is only based on hearsay and not actual experience but I would do some serious checking before loading anything close to a "hot" load. Far be it from me to rain on anyone's parade, however, I base this warning on a number of fairly reputable sources. Be safe and regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

kombi1976

Well, that is a Turk build Mauser, not one of the '03/38 M98s they had.
But I wouldn't be too concerned about strength.
They are a full '98 Mauser action.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

The Turk '38 is a large RING, small SHANK Mauser. This is the source of the "concern" about the Turk receivers. I have been using them for most of my experimentation without trouble. I have heard/read of the "weakness" issue, but have seen no actual evidence to support it.

Personally, I do not concern myself with the manufacturer of a Mauser action. I consider all of them wihout any specific or particular "weakness".

The early small ring Mauser actions (96s and earilier) may be 'weaker', due to some design improvements in later models, but I have not heard of one 'coming apart' that wasn't being 'abused'.

I don't 'push' my milsurp Mauser actions above the pressure limits for which they were designed - 56,565 PSI. Frankly, that's pretty high pressure. Some of the "modern" cartridges and rifles run their Industry specs up as high as 62,000 PSI and higher. I would not push ANY Mauser action that high. In fact, regardless of the ability of an action to withstand that pressure, I wouldn't "go there" because it isn't necessary, in my opinion, to approach those pressure levels in a hunting arm.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

I'm with Paul.
While the Mauser action is quite strong enough for 62,000psi IN THEORY they weren't designed for those pressures in mind.
And whatever you may think about the Turk rifles some of the hottest milsurp ammo available is stuff they loaded.
If they weren't concerned about using this in their rifles it shouldn't be an issue for us so long as the action is in good nick.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Mauserfan in TX

It has some good points and badpoints as well. The scope the guy had on it was a Tasco 1.25x4 power pistol scope and it was shot out. However the bluing on this rifle is excellent. The bbl has been chopped and recrowned @20'' exactally, and has a Timmney trigger in it set @3lbs. The stock leaves a lot to be desired and the mag spring and follower needs some work. I am going to leave it in 8mm and put it up for a winter time project. I think it would look good in a nice piece of wood instead of the beater look. Oh yeah , to answer Pauls question with a replacement scope on it , It put 3 inside a 1'' paster @100yds. The fellow should have checked his scope. One mans Trash.........
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Tags: