Reloading info

Started by funky sawman, November 28, 2009, 09:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funky sawman

Were could I find reloading info on the 460 A-square short caliber? I been looking for days but cannot find anything.
Savage sniper 300 win mag with a 12x leupold scope--I hate this rifle
 I gots pitch in my blood
 My nick name is BEAR SKIN BODEN

gitano

Well, here's a start http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=99983#post99983 Since you obviously know about that thread, what are you looking for specifically?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

dkota4103

i need a little help here.  i reload 7mm mag using rem.9.5m primers and the other day  i brought  some primers. when i got home a started loading  i found that i had rem 9.5 primers instead. the store does not do refunds primers. does any body have any load data on 7mm mag using rem. 9.5 primers. thanks

gitano

In the VAST majority of cases, you don't need to change anything when you change primers.

While it is likely that there will be SOME difference in combustion, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will be able to measure/notice it. You actually may find that your rifle shoots better with non-magnum primers. The exception to this MIGHT occur if you are shooting in very cold weather.

Here's the issue: The "magnum" case of the 7mm RM cartridge has a "magnum" (large)capacity. Primer manufacturers and gunwriters (ptooey) like to have people think that they NEED "magnum" primers to ignite that "magnum" case of powder. Balderdash... UNLESS it's very cold (probably something like zero or colder). I live in Alaska, and I have some experience with shooting in the cold. Furthermore, there are many instances where folks actually get more consistent ignition, (determined by more consistent muzzle velocities), with NON-magnum primers.

I reload for the 7mm RM and the 7mmx300 Weatherby Mag, and I use non-magnum primers in both. Both those rifles shoot better than MoA, and do so in weather as cold as I care to hunt in.

Load a few up and see if you actually SEE a difference in point of impact. I'd bet dollars to donut that you don't.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I reload the 7 MM Rem Mag and the 375 H&H with standard primers and always have. I experimented with magnum primers several years ago and finally just gave up as I couldn't prove anything good or different using Magnum primers. I agree with gitano that there is no measurable difference in performance and gives the gunwriters more baloney to drivel over. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

davidlt89

QuoteYou actually may find that your rifle shoots better with non-magnum primers.
Wish I would of known this a month ago. I have been tearing out my hair trying to get large rifle magnum primers, when I could of got large rifle a long time ago!!! I did finally order some large rifle magnums today. I will know better next time. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

What "magnum" are you shooting, David?

By the way, there ARE cartridges that in fact make good/proper use of "magnum" primers, but they are the really big ones - RUMs and the "African" monsters. Those cases are so large, or in the case of the RUMs, so LONG, that the extra 'oomph' of a "magnum" primer does yield more consistent muzzle velocities. I say the above without personal, first-hand experience. I'm actually just repeating what I have heard from trustworthy sources.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;100303What "magnum" are you shooting, David?

By the way, there ARE cartridges that in fact make good/proper use of "magnum" primers, but they are the really big ones - RUMs and the "African" monsters. Those cases are so large, or in the case of the RUMs, so LONG, that the extra 'oomph' of a "magnum" primer does yield more consistent muzzle velocities. I say the above without personal, first-hand experience. I'm actually just repeating what I have heard from trustworthy sources.

Paul
How true! However, I don't need the extra oomph out of my 375.....my bod just can't take anymore than the mild loads......plus it is sub MOA. Remember what you said Paul......." Rick, it doesn't have to mushroom much......it's already rather large".;) I nearly LMAO. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

QuoteI nearly LMAO.
Yes you did... :D

And I'll stick with that particular view of the world.

Paul[/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

dkota4103

thanks for all the info. i guess i will be like davidlt89. i can get the std primers easier than the mag primers.

davidlt89

I am reloading a 7mm mag. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

:oops:  I remember that now that you mention it, David :stars:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: