Stevens Favourite scope mounts

Started by 22hornet, May 05, 2010, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22hornet

I have a Steven model 30 "Favourite" .22lr rifle. It is not drilled and tapped for a scope mount but I am wanting to mount a neat little Pecar 4x36 scope onto it, depending on cost involed. (Remember nothing gun related is cheap here in OZ! :stare: ).
I have been told that Weaver(?) makes a scope mount to suit this particular rifle but so far have drawn a blank in my research.
Can anyone shed some light on the subject and steer me in the right direction?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

I'm afraind I can't help there, 22hornet, but I would like to see a picture of the rifle. :D You may recall that I have a "Favorite" that was chambered in a .32 RF that I put an 8mm barrel on chambered for the "8mm Max". I'd also like to see a picture of this 'scope mount if have a link to one somewhere.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

I'll post a pic as soon as I finish this set of shifts. And one with the scope in position, to get an idea of what it would look like.

Still no idea about the mount. But the barrel is 1/2 oct. and 1/2 round. Where the mount / dovetail rail? sits the barrel is flat.

Maybe if I just use a flat 3/8" dovetail rail instead?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

Here's a pic of the rifle.

I bought it for my eldest daughter to learn to shoot with, but thats a long way off yet.
I like the idea of having a lightweight single shot rifle fro a learner to get a handle on. I really like the exposed manual hammer, which is the only reason why I didn't go for a martini. (Some say I am mad....)

Here it with the little Pecar in "position". The more I look at it, the more I like it.

And a closer shot of the action and scope.

Paul Hoskins

Kombi, Weaver makes a scope base for the Ruger 10/22 that accomodates both standard or 3/8 dovetail rings. I don't recall the base number offhand. It's thin & will put the scope as low as any base possibly can. It will work on the octagon barrel of the Stevens just fine. .....Paul H

gitano

Nice little rifle.

So... is that your rifle, and you found the bases, or is that just a picture of one for reference?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

The Ruger base is a good idea. I am sure that one or some others would work. I put a base for a Marlin Model 94 on my wifes octagon muzzle loader barrel. It was made for a flat receiver, so it fit just fine. I even drilled and tapped it myself. The smith wanted $80 minimum($20per hole) and possibly more if there were "problems". I bought drill bits and taps for less than the cost of one hole. I also bought special marking punches that are the size of the hole in the base so they center the screws. Of course I had only paid $50 for the rifle on a special deal at Bass Pro years ago so I really wasn't out much if I screwed up. The hardest thing to get is starting the taps straight. I just chucked them in the drill press and turned it by hand to start them. Would I have done it on a more valuable rifle? Probably not, but it wasn't too hard.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

22hornet

That's my rifle and my scope. If you look closely you can see that the scope is not mounted to the rifle.

Good ideas on the Ruger bases too. I might have to look into that options, or any flat dovetail base for that matter. That shouldn't be too expensive!:undecided:

I reckon I might try to D&T this rifle too. But my main concern is that the barrel is not very thick so the holes must be quite shallow.
And the screws are such tiny things, if the tap goes off centre or bottoms out...."bink", snapped tap!
I'll decide when I get things in order.

Paul Hoskins

22Hornet, I've tapped thousands of holes. Half of them blind holes. If you break a tap, don't feel pregnant. I've done it dozens of times myself. When tapping a blind, or any hole, stop when things feel tight. Work the tap handle back & forth till you can back it all the way out & check to see if the tap is chipped or there is chips balled up in the bottom of the hole. Clean all the chips off the tap & get them out of the hole & start over again. Hold the tap as straight as possible. Good luck. .......Paul H

Jamie.270

And don't forget to pick up a bottoming tap to finish those blind holes.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Hello Hornet. I hope you realize what you are doing to a future highly collectible rifle? :Banghead: Teach her to shoot with open sights then buy her a 10-22 or similar that has the dovetail ramp for scope mounts. If you must, drill away. OBTW, the Mod 30's I've seen are already drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer and ask for the exact hole locations from the factory. Regards, Rick.

Why do you people insist on adding letters to simple words. favorite not favourite!:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:
Brrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuha-ha-ha-ha-ha.....
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

22hornet

Quote from: sakorick;106211Hello Hornet. I hope you realize what you are doing to a future highly collectible rifle?
Why do you people insist on adding letters to simple words. favorite not favourite!:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: Brrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuha-ha-ha-ha-ha.....

I never thought about it that way, even though it is just a "newer" model 30, I haven't seen too many of them in OZ.
I might be in for a rethink......

And extra letters to words? I'm just using the Queen's english! ;)

sakorick

Too bad the Queen never learned to spell....:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: Glad  you are thinking about this. There are many 22's with everything fit for scope mounts for one, and for two......I've never seen a newer Mod30 without holes! You may just own one of those odd balls that collector's drool over! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: