Started by JaDub, November 11, 2010, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: JaDub;109091So what I`m hearing is:

Dump the TSXs

Experiment with COL , zero to .050"

Don`t give up entirely on the BTs

JaDub

And work harder on annoying the wife, if she is not upset about the amount of money you are spending on laoding doodads and guns, you probably aren't living up to your potential.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

My opinion about loads for game is that caliber matters more than weight. So if you are talking about sticking to one caliber - .308 - I wouldn't worry about going heavier just because it's elk, especially in an '06. That case has plenty of 'oomph' for elk. Honestly, I'd pick the bullet I 'liked' the best and focus on that. It's going to be tough to go wrong with one of those bullets out of an '06 case in a rifle designed to shoot the '06 cartridge.

Maybe you can do some horse-trading for your leftover TSXs. AND, once you work things out with another bullet, you can always go back to trying to figure something out with the TSXs. I 'disposed' of some of mine in a school project my youngest had to do. She compared "penetration" between calibers, weights, and types of bullets. The TSXs were good fodder for that exercise as precision wasn't an issue.

I only rarely load for the '06. I think Sakorick would be a good place to start with load suggestions. If I remember correctly, he uses 4064 for his '06 loads.

QuoteAnd work harder on annoying the wife, if she is not upset about the amount of money you are spending on laoding doodads and guns, you probably aren't living up to your potential.
:MOGRIN:
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Quote from: JaDub;109091Should I try to load heavier, ie 180 for elk etc? ????   I`m planning on using my .308 for deer and the 30-06 for elk.

Personally I'd go with what ever the gun likes best. I know that's a lot of experimenting but Paul (and others here) has/have Quickload so some of the guesswork should be able to be eliminated. Originally (and I could be wrong) the 30-06 was designed to shoot 220 grain bullets, hence the fast twist (ie 1:9) Your 2 groove might like a heavier bullet like 180's. (Rick, Paul, 'Bug, Alboy jump in here at any time)

I've always been of the inclination that 150's were to light for elk. Mainly cuz elk are so tough and distances at which they are generally shot are anywhere from 100 to 300 yards. I tend to like a heavier bullet for it's high sectional density and higher ballistic coefficient making longer shots more of a "sure thing".

The reason I started loading 165's in my '06 was a "reduced" load for the boys when they were just starting to hunt. I've stuck with them because they work.  

I'd start with some 180 grain flat base bullets and go from there.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I'm more likely to 'bow out' that 'jump in'. I have very little experience with reloading '06s. What little I have done has been for other people. Any assistance I might be able to provide will be in the "generalized reloading" arena. You, Sakorick and Hunterbug are the most prolific '06 discussers. I would expect you guys to provide most of the suggestions. I just crunch numbers.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Bill Thibeault

In defense of Barnes bullets:

I get MOA accuracy will Barnes TTSX and TSX bullets in .30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .375 H&H Mag calibers.

I've shot:
A. .308 cal 150 TTSX in both .30-06 and .300 Win Mag
B. .308 cal 168 TTSX (same as A. above)
C. .308 cal 180 TTSX (same as A. above)
D. .375 cal 235 TSX (They don't make the TTSX bullets in this caliber)

The only Barnes bullets I've ever used that didn't shoot well were some 62 grain "Varmint Grenade" bullets I tried in my 6mm Rem Ruger #1.

Barnes bullets like to be seated on average .050" off the lands.  Don't know why, but they like a long "jump" to the rifling.

Regards,
Bill.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."(George Orwell)

recoil junky

Quote from: gitano;109100I just crunch numbers.

Paul
That's why I volunteered your Quickload:biggthumpup:

I'm hopin some one knows the twist rate of an 03-A3. I'm assuming it's 1:9.

Bill, looks like you are one of the lucky ones. Those that can get them to shoot usually get them to shoot very well.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteBill, looks like you are one of the lucky ones. Those that can get them to shoot usually get them to shoot very well.
Ditto.

They must shoot for some people, because Barnes Bullets stays in business. However, I find more people that can't shoot them than can.

There are other "issues" for me though. I am almost certain that Barnes Bullets stole the TSX design from GS Custom in South Africa. If you look at the timing of the introduction of the TSX and GS Custom's timing, there is little doubt that GS Custom came first by a long shot. It's just another example of Barnes' lack of integrity that rubs me the wrong way. There are too many other bullet makers "out there" for me to do business with those that 'shade the truth' (fantasy BC values) and steal other people's ideas (the TSX design), regardless of how well their bullets shoot. I'm guessing Fred Barnes is turning over in his grave as he sees how his name is being used.

Here's the Barnes Bullets history according to Randy and Coni Brooks http://www.barnesbullets.com/about-us/history/ . Note that Fred Barnes sold the company in 1965, and that there is no mention of the invention of the TSX bullet. The "X" bullet is NOT the "Triple Shot "X" bullet.

I won't belabor this any more. I'm NOT picking on anyone that likes or wants to shoot Barnes bullets. More power to ya. I'm just explaining why I don't shoot them, in spite of 'wanting' to in years past.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

QuoteI'm hopin some one knows the twist rate of an 03-A3. I'm assuming it's 1:9.
I'll check my '03-A4, but it's a four-groove barrel, not a two-groove one. The A4s were NOT specially made, they were only 'regular' A3s that shot well and were removed from "line action", fitted with 'scopes, and had the front sight removed.

JaDub can tell us what his two-groove barrel's twist rate is.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Lightning struck yesterday......... I bought another 03-A3 at auction. This one , unlike my sporterized,  is a  a four groove. Now I can see what the original rear sight looks like. Hope you like this one.

JaDub

JaDub

recoil junky

So, what's in the gray metal box and is that the nose cone of an IR 3/8" Titanium? And that IS a Craftsman extension!! I KNEW IT!!!

Naw, just kidding!!

I think my wife is glad we don't live in Denver/metro area. Although I would like to have an '03-A3. That one seems in good shape.

RJ

gitano

Nice piece!
What's the date on the barrel?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

All 03-A3 s were a 1 in 10 twist and as I understand the accuracy was not effected by the reduction of lands......... seems they were pressed to fill the gun contracts so they eliminated the extra grooves to speed up  production. I understand that Winchester couldn`t make them fast enough either....... darn those Huns.
Barrel is dated 2-43, includes RA & `flying bomb`. The parkerizing is flawless. I do want to find a bayonet for it.......

JaDub

Titanium Ingersol.............. arrrrggggghhhhhhh, ya caught me !

Grey box contains an secret alloy  framis trambilator.........

Tags: