Spotting with my bro

Started by kombi1976, April 18, 2013, 07:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Looks like you had a good night Andy. I have come to enjoy shooting bunnies here in Victoria. I've been trying to get my younger brother to get his licence and I think I have finally convinced him. He doesn't want to keep any guns at home so I told him he can use my rifles to hunt with me.

Paul, our kids have to wait till they are 12 before they can legally go shooting at the range, state forest and private properties. I'd like to get my son started a lot earlier with the air rifle but you do run the risk of being caught out if some nosy neighbour dobs you in to the cops. So I have decided I will train him (and myself at the same time) to use a bow as we can practice in our yard. We have a big tree that will be removed in the future which we can safely use without risking arrows travelling through to the neighbours. I will put some solid backing boards just in case he misses. He is only 5 but already can hit you with a tennis ball from a good distance, mean arm, pity we don't live in the US as he would throwing a baseball. He is pretty lethal with the nerf gun too when we play cowboys and indians so I might as well hone that skill in a bit more.

The media has no accountability to anyone and they say they have the obligation to report the truth but their version of the truth is always politically motivated to manipulate and brainwash the general public. Just because it is printed in black and white it does not mean it is a true account of events.

JaDub, now that is one big deer (Elk). Very nice, wish we had some buglers in them hills. I believe they have cross bred with red deer in NZ. No wonder they get some big red deer trophies there.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

I did have a good time, thanks, Jorge. My brother would have a licence but the cost is just silly. His wife also would never want a gun in the house and since he's an Anglican minister it's probably best, although I know a fair few minister out in the country who have guns and shoot whenever they can.

The 12 yr old minimum is a right pain in the neck. I'm going to make up lost time as much as I can when Bryn hits 12 (about 2.5 yrs from now) and he's keen so I'm sure he'll pick it up. But there's no substitute for experience so I'm frustrated that he and other kids like him can learn how to use power tools and lawn mowers and ride motor bikes and go karts and many other potentially dangerous things and yet close supervision and training with a rifle is more dangerous for them? The truth is he's in far more threat from someone on Facebook than he is if his dad was standing close by him training him to safely use a gun. Thank the Lord he hasn't felt a need to go on Facebook. My high school finds no end of trouble from it. If it keeled over for good right now and could not be resurrected it would be a blessing from the Almighty......literally.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: