Ugly Guns

Started by gitano, March 08, 2015, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I'm going to start a thread on "ugly" guns. All are welcome to contribute. Let's keep the "slander" to a minimum as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as is the "ugly". Calling a GUN ugly does NOT reflect on the owner OR on those that don't find that gun ugly. I'm going to be very hard-nosed, (I will delete without explanation or discussion), about posts that get personal.

Here's my start:

I am having a difficult time conceiving of how one could manufacture a gun uglier than this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=472019110

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

788's are ugly, but oh my, do they ever shoot pretty!!!

So, that makes them "pretty ugly" right? :MOGRIN:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Jorge in Oz

Any military bolt action rifles made by the French.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

drinksgin (deceased)

Is that made by the Russians?
It does appear to be something they would equip their astronauts with, actually, it appears similar to some thing the U.S. used to issue.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I can't figure out what's going on with these posts. Something VERY strange.

QuoteAny military bolt action rifles made by the French.
Couldn't agree more!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I'll have to agree the French didn't incorporate beauty in their military arms. The Italian military never gave it a thought either apparently. I think the ugliest thing I ever owned  was an Egyptian bolt action. Can't remember what the model was or the cartridge but seems like the bullets were 0.329 diameter. The entire thing was about as homely as a gun can get. I know nothing of the "gun" posted by Gitano except it's ugly. .....Paul H

sakorick

I have no clue what this is, however, it is seriously UGLY
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

That's a gun? Looks like a deformed snake or something to me. You're right Rick. UGLY!!!.....Paul H

gitano

I think that's a 'tricked-out' Ruger 10/22. I know that's a "De-Resonator" on the muzzle.

This is the third time I've posted the picture of this rifle in this thread. Let's see if it makes it this time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I do not have a picture, but look on Able Ammo rifles site, the Mossberg 464SPX , .22 is in the competition.

gitano

Yeah, I saw that one.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I wouldn't even allow that "thing" in the house. Looks like someone used different parts of prosthetic legs to make it. .....Paul H

Jorge in Oz

I like this version of the Mossberg 464. We are not allowed ARs here in Oz but I do like this version of that ugly rifle.

[ATTACH]13904[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13905[/ATTACH]
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Would that be considered an "AR" in OZ?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

No just another lever action tactical wanabee. ;)

gitano

So would this firearm be legal to own by a "regular bloke" in OZ?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Yes, sorry I should have said that.

It is still a lever action no matter how pimped it is.

Many guys p!mp the Rem 7600 and 7615 and they look like AR15 pump actions but they are still a pump action centrefire so can be owned on a Category A & B licence. Category D you can have an AR15 but that is mainly for professional shooters that cull animals for a living or dealers who can deal in that category.

Category A & B licences are for the regular joes like all the Aussie guys on the forum. That covers black powder, rimfires, centrefires, air rifles & paintball.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;138022So would this firearm be legal to own by a "regular bloke" in OZ?

Paul
More to the point would a 'regular bloke' admit owning it?
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Paul Hoskins

Joe, that's a good line. :smiley: I was pretty much thinking along the same lines. I was under the impression forum rules prohibit posting something so ugly. .....I have one that I consider ugly too. It's a FN Browning model 1900 in 32 ACP caliber. A neighbor lady gave it to me because she was afraid the grand children would find it & do something foolish. Her late husband  was in WW2 over there somewhere. It certainly isn't something I would pay for. Supposedly her late husband got in a gun fight in some country over there with police & won. He took this gun from the cop shooting at him after killing him. The spare magazine is missing but the holster is there. The gun??? is marked K.P.D.P.  No 61. Shoots good too. .......Paul H

gitano

One has to have an "A" or "B" license to own a paintgun?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Paintball gun, yes. Unfortunately they are regulated.

Good weapon for shooting cats pooping in your garden. At least they can go home just with a bit of paint on them. They don't come back either. :laugh:

Jorge in Oz

Paul H that Browning pistol has a touch of the quasimodos about it. Have you nick named it Igor?

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Jorge, after the lady gave me the Browning I fired it just to see if it worked. Unloaded it & hid it so I wouldn't have to look at it. Pulled it out for the photo & hid it again. It has been in hiding 20 years or more. Too ugly to be with my other guns.   ......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

QuoteUnloaded it & hid it so I wouldn't have to look at it.

:MOGRIN:
[/B]
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jorge in Oz

I was only joking around Paul H. But it would make a good anti-mugging device as you would only have to show the mugger your gun and he would run not from the fear of being shot. One can give the mother-in-law photo a rest and just use the ugly gun as an anti mugging device. ;)

I can't say my mother-in-law's photo would work as she is an attractive lady.

gitano

QuoteI can't say my mother-in-law's photo would work as she is an attractive lady.

Good recovery...;)

Some mother's in law are nice people.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Some mother's in law are nice people.

Where are those hiding?
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

drinksgin (deceased)

Oooh, Al ,I really hope someone who should not read this post is not doing so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim, he is not in his right mind, I hope!

gitano

Let me first say that I LIKE Ruger rifles. However, my emotional "likes" do not blind my eyes. Or at least I TRY to prevent that. This rifle is butt ugly in my opinion:
http://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/models.html

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Yep, for a minute I thought you were going to slander the lever guide gun, not the purtiest gun around, but not REALLY ugly, either.

The lever gun, that is.

;)

22hornet

How about this one?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

For me, an "ugly" rifle is anything plastic and stainless. Not to say this is not functional and serviceable. And certainly not to say that I wouldn't own a plastic / stainless rifle, it's just that I don't find them visually appealing.

I remember a saying we used to have back in my apprentice days.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder"
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

Or even this one? "Ugly is not confined to "cheap" "Ugly" has nothing to do with a price tag.

gitano

I think most of us appreciate and adhere to the concept of "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (love the 'beer holder' - I was after all a sailor), but some guns are, in my opinion, just plain ugly regardless of the amount of beer one has consumed.

I happen to think the Mosin Nagant action is just plain ugly. No qualifiers, just ugly. HOWEVER, when I took one apart, I was genuinely impressed with its simplicity and therefore battle worthiness. I do not call something 'beautiful' based on its function. The saying isn't "beauty is in the use of the beholder", it is in the EYE of the the beholder. A thing can be "ugly" and still be useful.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Bringing out some ugly rifles there Hornet. My eyes are hurting. :jumpingsmiley:

That Ruger is ugly too Paul. Don't care how practical some rifles may be some are just too nasty to be seen outdoors with. Because I don't drink and hunt, no amount of beers would entice me.

sakorick

In the February sale at Rock Island auction, they had a lot of six Mosin Nagants one being the ultra rare M24 Finn marked carbine. I bid 2600 on the lot. It sold for six thousand Eight hundred dollars. That's right, $6,800.

Jorge in Oz

Wow $6,800 for 6 Moist Nuggets, that's amazing even for the US.

sakorick

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;138106Wow $6,800 for 6 Moist Nuggets, that's amazing even for the US.

It was the first and only M24 Finn that I have ever seen. They are as rare as Rocking Horse poop.

drinksgin (deceased)

And comes the saying, "A fool and his money".

sakorick

Quote from: drinksgin;138108And comes the saying, "A fool and his money".

More than likely is that fool has a 5-7 thousand dollar rifle in hand. Once he sells the other 5 rifles for about 1500 bucks he will be in good shape.

Jorge in Oz

I google the M24 Rick and I see why it is a rarity. Interesting.

It's just business at the end of the day. Making an investment.

It will be interesting to see when the baby boomers are gone and they will their collections to their children whether we will get a flood of milsurps on the market or whether they will hold on to them.

Tags: