Interarms Mark X

Started by NUMBERFARMER, March 25, 2005, 09:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NUMBERFARMER

I recently became the owner of an interarms Mark X that is chambered in 22-250. The rifle shoots fine as long as the cartridge is placed directly in the chamber, however, it will not feed the cartridges from the magazine. :rolleyes:  It either drives the cartridge down into the magazine or wedges it up into the top of the action. Having never been around this brand of rifle, I was wondering if this was a problem inherent to the model or does this particular rifle just have a problem.  I actually purchased the old rifle with scope to utilize the action to build a 224 clark, but now am wondering if the action type has some serious design flaws.:confused:  Any input and experience you all might have would be greatly appreciated.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

My best guess is its an individual rifle problem.  I have had several rifles belonging to customers and a few of my own and have not encounted any problems like you describe.  Might be a weak magazine spring or a damaged follower.  Replacing the spring and follower may solve the problem.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Jay Edward (deceased)

I've owned a couple of Interarms Mark Xs...notably in .375 H&H and .30-06.  I never had any feeding problems that I can recall...and no one brought one to me with such a problem.

Feeding problems usually boil down to magazine spring, magazine follower, magazine box/lips or rails.  If you do not take it to a gunsmith, then you need to track down a couple more of these firearms and take a good hard look at the four items I've listed.

Let me know what you find out...always good to have the info.

ghostrider_tx

I own an Interarms MKX in .458 win mag and I have never had any feeding problems of any kind. It sounds like something is wrong in your rifle. I would be interested in hearing about the solution to your problem.
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Benefactor Life NRA member

NUMBERFARMER

After a little time and some off brand parts I now have a functioning rifle. I had a new spring and follower out of a savage 110. The spring was almost identical to the one in the mark x but much stronger. I replaced the spring first, but it did not fix the problem. The follower in the mark X was about 1/2 inch shorter than the magazine and was floating back and forth. I wonder if someone tried to fix the problem previously and used the wrong follower. Any how, with a little filing I was able to make the savage follower fit quite nicely. The gun now feeds and cycles very consistently and dependably. Does anyone see any danger with this fix? If you see some potential hazard, please let me know. Otherwise I now have a mark X savage cross. I also loaded up 100 rounds of ammo for the rifle today. I just couldn't bring myself to take off the barrel until I had a chance to try it out. Many of my guns are old uglies that someone traded to me with a problem but turned out to be shooters. I always try them out now before I actually decide to put a different barrel on them. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

Alton R Dillon

We have a 243 Mark X with the same problem, thanks for the info for an easy fix, Alton

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: NUMBERFARMERThe gun now feeds and cycles very consistently and dependably. Does anyone see any danger with this fix? If you see some potential hazard, please let me know. Otherwise I now have a mark X savage cross. [/size]
Looks like you solved it just right NF.  As long as it functions reliably you have nothing to worry about and much to be content about.

I also loaded up 100 rounds of ammo for the rifle today. I just couldn't bring myself to take off the barrel until I had a chance to try it out. Many of my guns are old uglies that someone traded to me with a problem but turned out to be shooters. I always try them out now before I actually decide to put a different barrel on them. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.
[/size]

This business of 'trying out before thowing away' is a good approach.  I've salvaged any number of firearms that were 'worthless'.  A lot of folks become frustrated with a tool and get it into their minds that it needs to be replaced rather than tracking down the problem.  When they get that thought in their minds...I usually end up having something else to trade.:D

simo71

can you tell me what is a good load for deer. i live in pa. I shoot a 7mm rem mag 145gr speer bullet powder imr4831 at 62 gr.

gitano

That'd be a "good" load.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: