A nice .22 plinker

Started by Lost Hunta, April 01, 2005, 10:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Hunta

I want ot buy a decent, cheaper, realtivly accurate .22 or .17 rifle to plink, practice, and otherwise hunt small game with. Y'all must have some ideas or own such a rfle? I like Savage's pricing for thier .17HMR series (choice #1)
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Gmoney

Yes Savage all the way.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

sav17

savage 17 but you will have to do some work on the trigger,or not i have got used to mine now and its fine.

Does that make sense:confused: duh
........................Richie
or you could go for a second hand older rifle and then you can have the satisfaction of refurbishing it,I did it with my old mauser 22lr,picked it up for peanuts gave it a bit of tlc and ended with a nice little rifle for cans and rabbits: and by the way I am no gunsmith,the rifle cost me under 50 dollars less than half the price of the scope you see fitted to it;)
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

tfrank

What kind of rimfire are you looking for. New, used, bolt, semi-auto, and so on... How bad do you want it??? In the next 5 minutes, or in the next month or so?? Go to http://gunbroker.com/ or http://auctionarms.com/ and do a little brousing and see what is available, you might be surprised!! There are a lot of good used firearms out there.
Myself I really like Mossbergs, but Mossberg hasn't made a rifle since about 1988 (I think) Last Mossberg I got was made approx 1950-1960, nice walnut stock and all steel with the exception of the plastic butt plate and triggerguard. The stock needs some pretty serious work but I knew that when I bid on it. Not a novice's gun, but it will be a beauty when I finish with it.:D Hope this helps. God Bless, Frank.

Rohann

SAVAGE! Bought a MkII FV in .22lr. .4 inch groups at 50 yards with a benchrest. I highly recommend them.
If not a Savage, go with a Marlin. They make nice ones too.

Good luck,
-Rohann

sakorick

Ruger 10/22 is my choice. More 10/22's have been sold on the planet than any other 22 for a good reason....they shoot real real good. Mine is a Walmart special with the SS barrel and I shoot groups at 50 yards that quite frankly, nobody on this forum would believe. I shoot the aguila bullets that have a MV in the 1500'/sec range...a bit messy, but hot and accurate. Of course, it's a Ruger and the trigger is a bit heavy...."Drop in triggers" are available but still require a gunsmith to install. The Ruger 10/22 trigger is very complicated. I installed Bsquare bases, leupold rings and a cheap Cabelas 3-9 scope and it sure is fun to plink with!Regards, Rick.:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Marlin917VS

I like marlin bolt action rimfires.  If you want a semi though, go with the 10/22.  There is so much stuff to upgrade with.  If it's for plinking, go with the 22.  The 17 is great for hunting and very accurate, but it costs too much to plink with.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

m gardner

Savage, marlin or the 10-22 ruger are all good guns. The marlin is coming out with an improved trigger system so I'd chose that. Also the 22 long rifle cartridge is hard to beat when it comes to inexpensive fun. God bless and good shooting.

Lost Hunta

Well i more so want a .17 HMR for thier accuracy and range, I like to shoot as far as i can so a .17 makes better use than a .22. The Savage .17 for $195 is the best for the $$ ($200 is my limit) Model 93R17-F. As far as uses go it'd be a long range anti-rodent/b-bird gun
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

I have a 17hmr and love it. You won't be dissapointed. They are very accurate and extend the range of the 22lr or 22mag. The one down fall in my mind is the ammo cost. It's going down though. They started out as $11, now I can get it for $9-10 at my local gun store, and if you order online, on sale you can get as low as $6.50. Another choice you might want to take a look at is the marlin 917v. I have compared the marlins to the savage side by side and the marlin just felt a litle more solid. Accuracy wise there won't be a difference though. The marlin 917v (wood stock, blued barrel) is about the same price. You won't be dissappointed with either though. Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

sav17

heres my savage 17hmr I love it ,took a while to get used to the trigger, been meaning to drop in a rifle basix unit but still havent got around to it.I have to agree withe comments about the ammo prices in comparison to the 22lr in the uk it works out quite a bit more 5 pounds for 100 22lr subsonic cartridges and 9 pounds for 50 hornady V max 17hmr (5 pounds is about 9 dollars and 9 poundsabout 17 dollars,I think:confused: )but as I use the 17 mostly for hunting I dont find it a problem,if I just want to play around I use the22;)
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Lost Hunta

i got a .22 (Romanian trainer) to mess with but its so old it dosen't get much in terms of accuracy, very little scope options. I want a .17 for reasons already specified.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Rohann

The 10/22's are cool but waaay over-priced here where I live. I have not heard many good things about them straight out-of-the-box.

-Rohann

Lost Hunta

now they aint. I was getting mad at ours for jamming rathe often. Say what brand/model scope would you recommend for a .17 HMR? nothing $200 or above something to see the target/rodent/B-bird VERY well, 10+ power. Difficult search yes bout the only ones who do that are Tasco, BSA, Weaver K-15(higher Quality though$249), some Bushnell. help me i'm deprived...well ok money happy:)
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Rohann

NOT TASCO! EVER! I'm not sure how they'd work on a .17 though, might actually work well on account of very low recoil. Unless you want to go with the "tactical" (if they still have it), that seems an almost worthwhile investment, though I don't have any first-hand experience with the Tasco tactical.
I bought a Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x32, works well on a .22, wouldn't recommend it for centerfire though.
Good luck,
-Rohann

Tags: