.17 Rimfire and Wolf

Started by redrover, May 05, 2005, 06:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrover

All this talk about .204s is getting monotonous.
My brother got this .17 and it's been working great!
see attachment

Thanks for getting rid of that Feral cat thing. That might have been Kerry, he said he had photos of himself hunting! LOL!

Also, I'm driving home from work tuesday and I see a huge doglike object crossing the highway. it's galloping across like a coyote except is got huge feet and long legs. luckiluy a member of the Hunters life was on hand.
I was one car back or I could have "drop checked" him.
check it out:
http://wluctv6.com/Global/story.asp?S=3301488

Redrover

sav17

Hi Red,
Is that a savage or a marlin?Mines a savage and it works quite well also
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Marlin917VS

I think that's a savage.  The butt plate is thinner on the savage than on the marlin.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

redrover

It is a Savage with  a Nikon scope.
Redrover

Hitekhunter

Hey Guys (and Gals)

One of the guys at work was asking me "how loud" the .17 HMR is?  I couldn't tell him since I've never shot one. Apparently he wants to use it on gray squirrels, skunks, rabbits, and other "varmints" at his cabin.  I think he's worried about aggrivating other cabin owners nearby!  Any ideas?  How is the "report" compared to a 22 Mag. or other 22 caliber rifles?
HitekHunter

sav17

Hi Hitek,

mine is fitted with a moderator and you still get a rather sharp crack,havent shot it without yet so couldnt tell you what she sounds like unsilenced;) might take the mod off and give it go just for curiosity,when I shoot at rabbits with it at about 100 to 150 yards they dont all run off immediately the mod seems to confuse them,
all the best.......................Richie

Marlin917VS

It seems to be about as loud as the 22mag, but more high pitched.  LAter
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Hitekhunter

Thanks sav17 & Marlin...

I never even considered a moderator on that rifle - but that's a great idea. I have a similar problem. I live "in town" but across the road is an unorganized township where guys shoot all the time, but 100 feet away we're considered in "city limits" and blasting pesky critters (like the racoons that tear up the bird feeders every night!) is illegal!

Hitekhunter
HitekHunter

redrover

My brother says his .17 has about the same report as a .22 mag.
He shot two coyotes at the end of season this year and they both had no exit hole, and so runners, so it works pretty nicely.
The one in the photo came in during pretty low light conditions so the Nikon worked pretty good too.
Redrover

Hitekhunter

Thanks redrover,

I came within seconds of owning a .17 HMR yesterday.  I went to my favorite gun shop and told the guy I would trade my SKB 12ga. for the Savage  .17 (model #Model 93R17-FSS) but he would only give me $200 for the SKB and wouldn't come off his price of $235 for the Savage.  I left without the .17, but I have the feeling I be going back to get it this week...

Besides .... those Hornady .17 VMax bullets look so cool....:cool:

Thanks!
HitekHunter

sav17

Quote from: HitekhunterThanks redrover,

I came within seconds of owning a .17 HMR yesterday. I went to my favorite gun shop and told the guy I would trade my SKB 12ga. for the Savage .17 (model #Model 93R17-FSS) but he would only give me $200 for the SKB and wouldn't come off his price of $235 for the Savage. I left without the .17, but I have the feeling I be going back to get it this week...

Besides .... those Hornady .17 VMax bullets look so cool....:cool:

Thanks!
Hi Hitek,
I have the savage 93R17-BVSS lovely little rifle,those.17 v max,s might look cool but if you are planning on eating what you shoot,they tend to rattle around inside and do a lot of damage,you have to score head shots on edible targets,I shot a rabbit last week at about 120 yards the bullet entered the chest area and some how managed to shatter both the upper bones in the rear legs,and no exit wound,:confused: I also use the hornady 20 grn XTP which gives a more conventional kill with an exit wound;)
Oh and by the way my savage cost me £420 which is about $700 I think so $235 isnt such a bad deal I have to come over there to live better hunting better prices and really nice people;)
Al the best.......................Richie

Hitekhunter

Nice pics sav17,

I've convinced myself that I really need to have that Savage .17! :D

I'm picking it up Friday!

Thanks,
HitekHunter

sav17

I dont think you will regret it,

good hunting...............................Richie;)

redrover

Wow! Those 17s work on everything!

Tags: