1st Hunting Rifle

Started by Apex Predator, July 29, 2006, 10:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apex Predator

If you read my introduction you know I'm going hunting for the first time in Oct. I will be hunting white tail deer in eastern WA. I've read alot of books about hunting and I've read a few magazines (I started subscribing to North American Whitetail earlier this year). I also have just about everythin I need except a rifle.

In a few days I'm out to my Dads house in WA for a few weeks (I live in DE with my Mom and stepdad). While I am out there I will be getting a hunting license and a rifle. The only question is what type?

I am 5'7-5'8 and I am left handed, but I'm not sure whether I will need a left handed rifle or not. So any suggestions?
An apex predator is a predator that is at the top of the food chain. Thats where I am.

M. R. Byrd

AP-
Welcome to the forum. You will find it to be a very helpful place to get your questions answered.

Fill us in on some of the details. I understand you are fifteen and 5'7". Have you been shooting or hunting before? Have you taken a hunter's safety class? You say you are left handed---are you left eye dominant also?

Then give us some details on what you will be hunting.

I will be glad to give you my thoughts and I know the rest of the folks around here will also.

Again, welcome to the forum.

God Bless,
Maynard Reece Byrd
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Apex Predator

I have not been hunting before. I have been shooting before but that was 2 years ago. I have not taken a hunting class but I will once I get to WA. I will be hunting whitetail deer. Im not sure which eye is my dominent eye but I remember my eye doctor (cant remeber professional term) said my right eye was stronger than my left I think. I'm not positive but I'm 90% sure of that.
An apex predator is a predator that is at the top of the food chain. Thats where I am.

Daryl (deceased)

Apex,

Look at a small object some distance away. Now take the thumb and index finger of one hand and circle the object in your vision while still looking at it, with your hand at arms length. Now keep the object circled and move your hand back to your face.

The eye that's looking through the circle created by your thumb and index finger is your dominant eye.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Welcome, AP.

I tried to estimate how many times I've heard this question or one similar to it. I couldn't even guess. And lately, I've been thinking about all the "which rifle" questions that get asked. What I have concluded is that the best question to ask, given today's abundance of rifles and chamberings, is not "Which is best?", or "Which should I get?", but rather;

"Is there a rifle that would be a BAD buy?"

Taking AP's situation here, I could answer that question far easier than I could the "Which" questions.

Since you'll most likely be hunting coastal blacktails, I'd recommend a rifle chambered in a cartridge of 6mm (.243") or larger. Given that you're a novice hunter, I'd raise that caliber minumum to 6.5mm (.264") and possibly even 7mm (.284"). Again because you are a novice hunter, I'd recommend that you not get a caliber larger than 8mm (.323"). Since you might be left-eye dominant, I'd recommend a single shot or lever gun. H&Rs aren't pretty, but they are inexpensive and they shoot as well as most over-the-counter bolt guns. Single-shots teach good shooting and hunting habits. As for lever-guns, the Savage Model 99 is hard to beat, and it comes chambered in a couple of excellent rounds - the 300 Savage, and even better, the .308 Win.

Avoid like the plague all "magnums", ESPECIALLY the .30 caliber ones.

If you are left-eye dominant, but right-handed, I'd urge you to teach yourself to shoot right-eyed/handed. It's easy to do, especially at your age, and will save you thousands of dollars over your life-time. The way lefties have to pay more for products with identical functions is an outrage.

So, in summary, my recommendations are:

Find a rifle chambered in a round that shoots a caliber somewhere between .264" and .323". AVOID ALL MAGNUMS ESPECIALLY .30 CALIBER MAGNUMS! If you insist on shooting "lefty", get a single shot or lever gun, or pay the premium for a left-handed bolt gun. Best is to learn to shoot right-eyed.

In my opinion, if you stayed within those sideboards, you'd have armloads of cartridges and rifles to choose from, an you'd have a very difficult time making a "BAD" choice.

Paul

If you want a "score" on a cartridge to consider, have a look at this thread http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I disagree with paul on the 300 Win Mag.....this is the #5 all time seller for a reason. Having said that, I agree with everything else he said and would like to add my recommendations.
First, you need to find out if you can shoot right handed....if you can, then you need to find a bolt action rifle in 270 or 30'06. Eastern Washington is wide open country and you will need a rifle that can perform well out to at least 300 yards.
Second, You will need to practice.
Third, you will need mounts and a scope.....very good scopes are available for less than 150 dollars with the mounts.
Finally, I would not limit my rifle search to brand new. Guns America has a number of very little used rifles for a very modest investment. I would look for a Ruger, Winchester or Remington for you first deer rifle.....that will get you going. The 30'06 and 270 have factory ammunition that is reasonably priced over the counter.....any Walmart carries a nice selection. As you get going on this, keep us updated so we can assist you in your quest. Welcome to the forum and regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

I disagree with paul on the 300 Win Mag.....this is the #5 all time seller for a reason. Having said that, I agree with everything else he said and would like to add my recommendations.
First, you need to find out if you can shoot right handed....if you can, then you need to find a bolt action rifle in 270 or 30'06. Eastern Washington is wide open country and you will need a rifle that can perform well out to at least 300 yards.
Second, You will need to practice.
Third, you will need mounts and a scope.....very good scopes are available for less than 150 dollars with the mounts.
Finally, I would not limit my rifle search to brand new. Guns America has a number of very little used rifles for a very modest investment. I would look for a Ruger, Winchester or Remington for you first deer rifle.....that will get you going. The 30'06 and 270 have factory ammunition that is reasonably priced over the counter.....any Walmart carries a nice selection. As you get going on this, keep us updated so we can assist you in your quest. Welcome to the forum and regards, Rick.

Apex Predator

My Dad sent me some pictures at the place we will be hunting and it is actually forested. It must not be to far out East. I'll double check that with him.

M1Garand

I think being a new hunter and shooter, I agree with Gitano with the 30 cal mags. You will want something that won't beat you up in recoil as you will develop bad habits, they will be too much gun for you at this point. You can always look at them closer as you get older and more experienced. Sakorick gave two excellent choices in the '06 and 270 Win. Both are very common and available in countless rifles.  You can also get managed recoil rounds for either.  You should be able to find either one used on gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com for good prices. Walmart has good prices on new guns, check their website too. Even if where you are hunting is wooded areas, both are great choices as your next hunt may not be in the woods, it could be on a pronghorn hunt out there somewhere where either would do well, were something like a 30-30 Win would not. Some other calibers I think would be worth considering (to name just a few) are the 260 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington and the 308 Win.

RatherBHuntin

And as far as inexpensive and probably the most bang for the buck are the H&Rs or NEFs single shots as mentioned above and the Stevens (produced in only three different calibres, but including .270 and 30-06) bolt actions in Right handed versions only I think.  With the H&Rs you can always send it back and get another barrel in a larger caliber later added to it.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

Question I have is have you asked your Dad yet what he recommends or plans to use?

It is very possible the problem of weapon has already been taken care of. I realize you are also getting ready to start your own weapons magazine but as a first time hunter it is often wise to borrow what you are interested in and shoot a variety before that first purchase. Check with your Dad and see what is in the offing.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

You will find hunters are a helpful lot in general.

One little episode comes to mind that I was involved in. We had been invited to cull does aqnd scrub bucks on a ranch here in Texas. There must have been 20 shooters there that weekend.

Any way one man that was there brought two sons with him and had borrowed a 7mm Mag from a friend. He and the oldest boy shot it OK when being checked in. Standard check in was that you had to put 2 consecutive rounds in side of 6" circle at 100 yards, pretty low bar but practical.

The youngest was 13-15 and a very slight built young man. After about six rounds and things getting steadily worse I pulled his Dad asside and offered my 223 if he was OK with that. It was on, the first shot showed how much flinch the little guy had already picked up. The grin on his face also showed the relief that he had just not been stomped to death. A little coaching on breath control and trigger sqeeze took his mind off recoil and the next two almost touched. He took two nice deer the next morning.

It is not magic just too much recoil for him. Now I tend to agree with Paul on the starting calibers but we did not have that range of weapons present then. Beginners should carry as much punch as they cna shoot accurately. So borrow what you can and shoot it. Especially in De before you haed west. Will give you both experience and confidence and guided by your dad (either one) your first purchase will suit you much better.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Apex Predator

Well ny Dad is using a Savage Model 110 in .243 caliber with a 3X9 Leupold Scope, and my Half Sister is using a Remington Model 7 Youth in .260 caliber with a 2X7 scope. In WA the smallest legal round is .243.

Now I'm going to be out there for three weeks and If I remember correctly there is a shooting range near my Dad's house. So one day I'll go out to the shooting range and tr out my Dad and my Half Sister's rifle.

My Dad suggests Savage.

sakorick

Hello AP. Savage makes a fine bolt action rifle and there are LH versions available. You can go to the Guns America website and look at a zillion of them http://216.219.244.51/2350/2350-random-1.htm Have fun!

OBTW. I would never recommend a belted magnum as a first deer rifle (sometimes my communication skills aren't what they ought to be). I would think the Savage in 308, '06 or 270 would be perfect. They have the package deals for under 400 bucks with a scope and mounts both at Wallyworld and GA. Check with your dad first and find out what the scoop is! Regards, Rick.

mtsharps

Hi Apex
I grow up in eastern Washington in a town called Omak What town is close to your dad ?

I like Savage rifles and for you Iwould go with 243 7mm-08 280 or a 7mm mag

need to now what part of wash. your going to hunt

there is also some real nice mule deer there to hope to here from you

Tags: