.270 Loads

Started by Mauserfan in TX, September 09, 2006, 06:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauserfan in TX

OKay Gang, I have added a .270 to the fold. I still have'nt shot up all my factory stuff yet. So my question is to the reloaders out there. What Secret Recipies have worked for you in this cartridge?
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

klallen

57 grs. IMR4350
130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
Federal 210 Primer
Winchester Brass
3.412" OAL
3112 fps

Threw this load together in an afternoon. Just wasn't interested in wasting a whole lot of time on this cartridge. Worked fine on two Mulies taken in 2003. Rifle hasn't been out of the safe since. 'spose I should sell the thing. Not what you'd call a .270 fan and never completely been sure why I bought the gun in the first place ... but the load worked fine ;o) . Hope you enjoy yours. Later. >> klallen

Brithunter

Hi There,

Depending upon the barrel length you have but I have used this load recently in a BSA Majestic Feather weight:-

56.0 Grn IMR 4831 Rem 9 1/2 Primer in a Sako case using a Sierra 140 Grn BTSP loaded to COL of 3.300".

I also developed this load for use in my BSA CF2 Stutzen which has a 20" barrel:-

48.7 Grn H-380 Rem 9 1/2 Sako case COL 3.294" with a Nosler 130 Grn Solid Base (yep from hoarded stock). I have shot this load at 600 yards on targets and it prooved effective on a young Munjac Buck in May this year :D .

Although the CF2 Stutzen was my first full bore rifle it was not until last May that I actually fired a .270 at game. Carried the various .270 rifles plenty of times but never had the right shot :confused:  it was always the wrong beast, sex or an unsafe shot. The exception was a Roe Doe down in Sussex some years back when a sudden bad thunder storm blew in turning the late afternoon into night and I could not make out which way she was standing so truned down the shot.

I happen to still like the .270 and have 3 with a 4th on the way. All BSA's.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Hello Mauserfan....what's a Mauserfan fiddling with a 270? Anyway, I load for my neighbour....48.5gr IMR4064 at 3020 in his BAR with the 130gr CT. The old Browning thinks it's a bolt action.......1/2 inch groups.....go figure. My brother's receipe for his Ruger is 56.5gr IMR 4831. Really, any decent '06 powder works well in a 270....after all, it;s just a 30'06 wannabe!:D Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Mauserfan in TX

Hey Gang, Thanx for the info. As to why i would want a .270 is simple. I did'nt have one. As a gun nut it is my duty to have a decent representitive in most all calibers. I did'nt have a .27 and a .25 caliber. Now all i need is a decent something in .25. My friend has a commercial mauser in .270 Winchester he trying to trade me for mine. I will have to spend a little more time with mine before i make up my mind. I do love my Mausers, but they ain't making M-70s anymore either. I am taking notes , So keep 'em coming.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

M1Garand

Quote from: sakorickHello Mauserfan....what's a Mauserfan fiddling with a 270? Anyway, I load for my neighbour....48.5gr IMR4064 at 3020 in his BAR with the 130gr CT. The old Browning thinks it's a bolt action.......1/2 inch groups.....go figure. My brother's receipe for his Ruger is 56.5gr IMR 4831. Really, any decent '06 powder works well in a 270....after all, it;s just a 30'06 wannabe!:D Regards, Rick.

Here we go again...what exactly can the '06 do the 270 can't?? :rolleyes: :) I've had some great results with 60 grains of RL-22 in mine and the Sierra Pro Hunters and with 61.0 grains of it and the Hornady SP's (both 130 grn) both chrony'd close to 3100 fps in a 22" barrel.  I Just bought another can of IMR 4064 but haven't tried any in the 270 yet.  Works great in the 358 and 348 Win's.

sakorick

Hello M1. Well as far as deer hunting goes, the 270 is terrific and a tad flatter with the 130gr bullet.....but that's where it ends IMHO. The '06 with it's ability to handle larger bullets provides much greater down range power for cross canyon Elk shots and larger game such as Moose and Bear. If you never plan on hunting larger game than deer, Pronghorns and sheep, the 270 is an excellent choice.

If you are looking for a 25 caliber, the 257 Roberts Ackley would be a great choice..... "The 257 Improved has proven to be an excellent cartridge for long range varmint shooting and also for big game such as deer, antelope, black bear, big horn sheep, etc. It is one of the best of the Improved line of cartridges in terms of useful velocity and energy gain". Source; Cartridges of the World. Regards, Rick.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Mauserfan,

The all-time classic load for the .270 w/130gr bullets has been 60.0grs of 4831.  In some rifles using the IMR4831, that load is just a little too hot to suit me, but H-4831 seems to do just fine.  Bear in mind tho, I haven't loaded for the .270 in more than 10 years...so a start load of 58.0grs of H-4831SC would probably be a good idea.

The .270 Winchester has been around now for some 70+ years and is time-tested and proven in the field.  With the proper bullets in an accurate rifle and a competant marksman/hunter........everything in the lower 48 could be added to the freezer.  You can't go amiss with your selection of this cartridge.  Good on ya!:D

Ol' John;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

M1Garand

Yeah, I saw an opening to jab you a few times as I know you have a few '06's and are very fond of them...;) .  That 257 is a great choice and I can't imagine it recoils too much either.

sakorick

Quote from: M1GarandYeah, I saw an opening to jab you a few times as I know you have a few '06's and are very fond of them...;) . That 257 is a great choice and I can't imagine it recoils too much either.

Shame on you.....I thought you were serious!:D For what it's worth, the Third edition Hornady manual lists 57.1 grains of IMR4831 as max load (3000'/sec). Regards, Rick.

Mauserfan in TX

Hey Gang, Thanx for the input. I just happen to have a surplus of IMR-4831, H-4831sc, and some IMR-4064. I plan on loading the Hornady130gn IB SST. I have great sucess with this bullet in my other rifles. I will load a few and see which one the Winchester preferrs.10 years John, time to catch up. Take Care All, Danny
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

fishdog55

Some of the H4831 has proven to slow for my Rem 700 in 270 (61 gr. under a 130 gr Partition for 2744 fps avg!!!) so have found I can get much better performance with the IMR 4831 version, as well as the Accurate  3100, both with good accuracy.  In a nutshell, you can load about as much of either of these powders in the case as you can stuff in there & it will be safe. I do not use drop tubes, etc to overstuff a case.   I have found it difficult to actually get more than 3000 fps with a 130 gr bullet out of my rifle.  RL22 follows the same  path, 61 grains produces an avg 2994 fps.  I don't worry so much about the max speed any more as I am getting very good accuracy, and they have performed very well on whitetails.

sakorick

Quote from: fishdog55Some of the H4831 has proven to slow for my Rem 700 in 270 (61 gr. under a 130 gr Partition for 2744 fps avg!!!) so have found I can get much better performance with the IMR 4831 version, as well as the Accurate 3100, both with good accuracy. In a nutshell, you can load about as much of either of these powders in the case as you can stuff in there & it will be safe. I do not use drop tubes, etc to overstuff a case. I have found it difficult to actually get more than 3000 fps with a 130 gr bullet out of my rifle. RL22 follows the same path, 61 grains produces an avg 2994 fps. I don't worry so much about the max speed any more as I am getting very good accuracy, and they have performed very well on whitetails.

Hello Fishdog. I'm sure the dead deer will not care.....2700, 2800, 2900 or 3000'/sec! I go for the fastest that still shoots sub MOA. Good post. Regards, Rick.

Tags: