Black Powder Cartridge Series - .50-90 Sharps

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), November 20, 2004, 06:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

QuoteRecoil was calculated 51 foot pounds at the 72 grn load. Quite stout.
Oofdah Mackey!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Colorado

I am really loving this cartridge in a double.  Tons of power and the Lyman 151 525 grain bullet is just right.  Final regulation load for this build is going to be 63 grains Varget producing 1750 FPS yeilding 3500 ~ 3800 FPE.  The cases just fall out with this load making quick reloads easy.  I've put 200+ rounds through it at this load and everything is measuring factory spec.  I've got the formula down for this type build out now.  250 more rounds and I think I'll say she's ready to show... hint, hint...;)

Code name.... The Grizzly Fifty

Colorado

gitano

Sounds like you've got it figured out. 1750 fps is about 100 f/s faster than I'll be 'shooting' for. Looking forward to seeing the rifle and the targets.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Colorado

Here is a link to a discussion on it with photos. If I can figure out pictures on this forum I post them.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=doubles&Number=51513&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Thanks,
Colorado

Colorado

Here we go, I'll try a photo, hammer gun is my A.Hollis 500/450 as a comparision. Guns are exact in measurement except the barrel length.  The Sharps (Grizzly Fifty) has a 23.5" barrel, three leaf express sight.  Max bench load is 4300 FPE, regulation load is 3500FPE with WW cast Lyman 151 bullets.  Gun #2 is going to be in 50-140-525 and the machinist is making the barrels this week. I'll be selling this gun to pay for #2, then selling #2 to pay for #3, etc... You see the pattern by now I guess.  It turned out fantastic, so I'm making them now for other people who want a hard hitting great Bear country (AK) double.

Colorado

gitano

I looked at your posts at the link. Hope you keep us posted  here wrt the "proofing".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Colorado

Will do, the 50-140 Sharps barrels are being turned this week.  The 50-90 has pretty much passed all of my test.  300+ P+ rounds and everything is tight.  

I've got two fellers in AK wanting the 50-140 African Fifty that I'm building, which is regulated to 500NE nitro for black load of 72 grains Varget and the Woodleig 440 Soft Point, which yields about 3800FPE.

Thanks,
Colorado

Colorado

Update, the 50-90 Sharps Double Rifle build now has over 800 shots through it and going strong. Regulation load is 65 grains Varget, 535 Grain Woodleigh FMJ/SN or Cast Performance HTFNGC 525 grain solid or Lyman 525 #151 mold in WW/Lead. This produces about 1750 FPS and 3700FPE. Recoil isn't that bad, and I can shoot around 100 rounds a day. Gun weighs about 9.5 pounds, and is still measuring factory spec.

As in the other post on the 50-140 thread, I'm building a new Sharps chambered Double Rifle Hammer gun in 50-90 for a fellow in WY for Elk, Moose and Buffalo. Slightly hotter load than the first, 66 grain Varget, 525 grain Cast Performance for about 1800 FPS and 3800FPE.

I'll post the photo here too. Two more available I know of then there gone for good.

Thanks,
Colorado

gitano

Cool.

I spoke with Joe again, as I was wondering about building a .577 Snider. Turns out he is too. I was wondering if there was enough bore in 16 ga to get a proper sleeve in for the .578" bore. It's a close call. We diecided, since he's going to do it (make a .577 Snider) anyway, we'd let him do the first one and work out the kinks. If after his is built, he thinks the 16 can handle the .578 bore, then I've got a Huglu I'll use. If the 16 is just too small, (and I suspect it is), then I've got an old "drug store" damascus 12 that I'll use.

Oh yeah, I'm looking for 1650 f/s from 515-ish grain bullets. Given the BCs of the bullets I'm looking at, this gets me to 300 yds with only about 36" of drop if I'm 6" high at 100. About "minute of buffalo".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: