My Latest Mission: Indian Myna Birds

Started by Aussie Pete, November 21, 2004, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Well, as much as it could be alot of fun for the whole congregation I think I may do it on the sly. :p :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

redrover

Alboy

I am willing to bet that if they tasted good they would be protected and rationed. Just like dove, quail, snipe, etc.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

varmint hunter

G'day fellow outbacks. Its been a while since ive seen aussie pete and kombi - seeing i havent touched this site for ages as well.

I plan to get out to our farm this weekend and i have heard that these little buggers are getting around. Two years ago i didnt see one. Now they have cropped up. I look forward to using my z's, as i have a box in the cabinet yet never bother to use them.

The bullets travel at such a slow speed, that sometimes i look in the scope just as ive shot and i can see the bullet for a split second. Ill have to take them out and try and pop off a couple of these little brown  birds.

Ill post my results next week.

kombi1976

G'day, VH.
I haven't been on much recently, but then I've been flat out.
Best of luck with the Mynahs at the farm.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

varmint hunter

Had the weekend on the farm. Some good stories:

1. Went out fox calling on the Saturday night, managed to call in one fox, but was a little far away as we only had the .22 and shot gun. Was hoping he'd come in running after that fox whistle but was on the other side of the creek and didnt want to come in any closer. Smart bugger. Anyway, there were stacks of bunnies, and managed to snag a few with the shotty :biggthumpup: . All in all, was a good night.

2. The next day, shot heaps of clays with my bro. Was good to get some practise in as i hadnt been out for ages.

3. Me and my bro decided to do another hunt along the creek hopefully snag another couple of bunnies. However, luck got our way and out of the brambles a small fox jumps :eek: . I was on one side of the creek, and my brother was on the other. As my brother walks past the bramble patch a fox goes AGGH and does a runner. Sweet. I sighted the .22 on the critter and squeezed the trigger. Woohoo. I was pleased with the shot as i didnt have the scope on and he was on the move. However, the fox fell and tumbled down the bank but kept on running. I screamed out to my bro 'Fox, fox', and we chased it, and my brother lined him up with the shot gun and that was it.

Ill post some pics as soon as i load them up:) .

varmint hunter

I forgot to mention Mynas. I saw a few but didnt get close enough to shoot any. Ill have to be a bit more stealthy next time...

gitano

Sounds like a good time! Looking forward to the pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

Are these Myna birds the same that people here in the states used to raise
as pets?......Have the ability to imitate sounds to include human cliches &
ya  say they will settle in water....like a seagull or something?........
...........possibly regarded as a nuisance varmint?..................
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

kombi1976

Good question, Bowhunter.
All I know is that they're destructive little mongrels.
Had a bit of fun myself on Tuesday night.
A mate and I were supposed to be chasing foxes on a workmate's farm but since he was sick we headed out to another 200 acre property after the monthly SSAA committee meeting for some spotlighting.
Now we've had drought conditions for ages in my area and the particular piece of land we were shooting on had dropped from reasonable rabbit numbers to virtually zero and even roos were scarce.
On the way in we saw a mob of 10 roos and a hare ran across in front of the 4x4.
It had been raining and was still drizzling and quite wet underfoot but well worth the effort we were to find out.
A hare fell first to a 100gn Ballistic Tip from my mate's 6.5x55 M96 sporter and the effect was staggering.
The shot was around 80yds and the bullet must've left the barrel at about 3100fps so the hare ended up......well, let's say it was unsuitable for the pot.
I took over from there with my Martini Cadet 25-20 sporter and was having no luck with the 75gn V-Max loads I was using.
When I changed back to some Turton 75gn FP loads I bagged a couple but I must've missed 4 and another 4 ran away from us under fallen timber and scrub as the weather switched back and forth between mist, drizzle and proper showers.
My mate then nailed a nice offhand shot on a bunny at about 120m with the 6.5mm.
The effect was less explosive but still pretty nasty.
From there his aim too went awry and we took no more.
It was well worth the trip though.
In a couple of weeks I'll head out one afternoon after I've done some load testing with the V-Maxs and take a stroll.
There were rabbits of all sizes running around which suggests that they've started breeding like mad since the storms we're having 3 or 4 times a week began happening about a month back.
There's probably a fox to be had too with all those bunnies about.
Here's pic of the long eared bandits I bagged:

Cheers & God Bless

bowhunter 51

Nice hares, Kombi!:biggthumpup: .....................................................BH51
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: