Wind - n - Whitetails

Started by Antler3, November 26, 2004, 04:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antler3

Quick question....Season is open here, it's about 43 degrees with the wind outa the south at about 20 gusting to 40. I hunt from a ground blind. I'd like to have comments on whether today would be good huntin' day as far as seeing the deer ?? Do you guys think they'll be bedded , or up and moving ?  Peak rut was thru the 25th, today is the 26th. Awful windy, but have some doe estrus, might help to carry the scent....;)
ANTLER 3

~Jeff~

I just don't think the wind would over-ride a bucks typical characteristics while they are still in the rut.
But then just how would one define typical rut characteristics? ???.Good Luck.
idunno

Antler3

Thanks jeff , yea I think your right. If you don't go to the woods you sure aren't gonna see one LOL. I've just never had much luck when the wind is high. But any day in the woods is better than not being there. I'm gettin' a late start but think I'll go and finish out the day ...who knows that buck of a life time just might come by my blind this evening LOL. Good huntin' to ya !
ANTLER 3

12 gauge

Antler3,

With my personal experience in the wind and whitetails, i've never hunted out of a blind, but blinds are there to help reduce your scent from being detected and prevent wind from getting to you and rain, etc.

Bucks move in the wind, because the howling wind will affect their ability to hear, smell and see, so they get skiddish and start moving, plus since it is rut, the only thing on the buck's mind right now is...well..sex...

If the wind is in your favor (blowing your scent away from the deer or where they come from) you should be fine. For me I have thickets where the deer bed behind me which is SE of me, if the wind is blowing to the east, i will not hunt, if the wind is blowing to the west i will hunt, if the wind is blowing north i will hunt, but if it is blowing South i will not take a chance..

Hunt when you think you will be comfortable with, the deer move, they will eventually get hungry or cramped and move for food or to stretch cramped muscles.

So good luck to you!

And god bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Daniel in Ak

Wind is not usually a factor but it may slow them down from moving through a larger area.Gotta conserve heat and energy on wondy days,but I have seen deer move alot in the wind.
 Myself personally,I would be out there regardless if not for the fact that I'd like to know what they do during a windy day in my area.
 Before I  moved to Alaska I'd bow hunt from my tree stands for deer and  I say stands as I'd factor in wind as to stand location ie....Off the river in the morningthe wind came from the river up the ridge,so I had one stand way up ontop of the ridge to ambush the deer as they headed down into the timber for the morning.
 My afternoon stand was down low because the wind blew from the ridge down to the Potomic River.This set up took me over a week to figure out,as I could only set up in the afternoon's and on the weekends.But in this area there is no scouting allowed and you can only hunt during the open season and If your area was open.Thats just the military thing.
 Anyhow dude seek out thicker cover where less wind would be prevailent and Im sure you'll ambush one sooner or later and good luck.Daniel

Antler3

Sounds like some good advice and I do appreciate it. These deer here seem to hunker down when it's this windy we're having gust up to 40 today. We have rain moving in tonight and tomorrow rain clearing and diminishing winds. I figure tomorrow evening may be real good time. Although i will agree just about any time is good time to be huntin' :D  And if you don't mind my sayin' it's dudette :D Thanks for the info. And good luck to ya!
Quote from: Daniel in AkWind is not usually a factor but it may slow them down from moving through a larger area.Gotta conserve heat and energy on wondy days,but I have seen deer move alot in the wind.
Myself personally,I would be out there regardless if not for the fact that I'd like to know what they do during a windy day in my area.
Before I moved to Alaska I'd bow hunt from my tree stands for deer and I say stands as I'd factor in wind as to stand location ie....Off the river in the morningthe wind came from the river up the ridge,so I had one stand way up ontop of the ridge to ambush the deer as they headed down into the timber for the morning.
My afternoon stand was down low because the wind blew from the ridge down to the Potomic River.This set up took me over a week to figure out,as I could only set up in the afternoon's and on the weekends.But in this area there is no scouting allowed and you can only hunt during the open season and If your area was open.Thats just the military thing.
Anyhow dude seek out thicker cover where less wind would be prevailent and Im sure you'll ambush one sooner or later and good luck.Daniel
ANTLER 3

motor (deceased)

When you have a forty mile an hour wind you will be very lucky to see a deer and it would be very uncomfortable being there. but like the man said, you won't see em if you are not there..:D  good luck
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

RatherBHuntin

We had a 15 mph wind this morning combined with temps hovering around freezing, made for a chilly morning. Anyways, went out before work, didn't see a thing, which isn't too surprising on any given day since gun season opened. However, on the way home I go by a high fenced place that has a captive (pet) herd. They are usually in view of the road, but this morning they're were only 4 deer visible, they were all bigger deer, and they were all on the leward side of a hill, in the sun. They weren't bedded, but they were just standing there.

This evening, I decided to go out again after work(truck broke down, had to replace the rear end, 2 weeks of hunting to make up for). It was very sunny and the wind had died down somewhat, though it was still blowing about 10 mph. First I saw all the deer now in the fence, out in the sun feeding. I figure they were taking advantage of the sun's warmth while it was out. This was about 3:30 PM, a little early for them to be out. Now I get to my chosen spot, build a quick ground blind, and am surprised by at least 10 Rio Grande turkeys strolling by, not a longbeard in the bunch, and not stopping for nothing. About 5 PM just after I had moved another piece of cover to block the sun, and about 30 minutes before I would expect to see anything, a lone 4 pt comes cruising in south to north, more or less crosswind. Well at 20 yards, I couldn't resist, he's on ice now. I really needed the meat.

The point is, this late in the gun season, it's odd to see deer moving that early. I am assuming it is because the wind and cold kept them down late this morning, and they were taking advantage of the midday warmth and lessening wind. It's supposed to drop down to the 20s tonight, and I imagine they know.  Normal lows to highs run about 40 to 60 hear in the winter.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Antler3

Glad to hear ya got one R.B. I haven't been seein' 'em out like I did for awhile. Thought they might be feedin' up after the chase. The wind seems to keep 'em bedded down around here. We have a healthy coyote and bobcat population, I think the wind affects their ability to smell as well too. Sounds like your deer huntin' spot would make good place to call in an ol' longbeard LOL. Congrats on your success !
ANTLER 3

Gmoney

Deer are awesome animals and just when you think you've figured them out they are another step ahead of you....

I have had deer moving in heavy winds and other days not a deer... they are unpredictable..but I will tell you this....if they are hungry or if a buck is chasing does they will move in any weather...

I usually go by this rule for patterning them....IE when they will come out and feed.....if they leave earky in the morning they will be in the field early in the afternoon....if they leave late in the morning they will probably arrive late....it is not always that way depending on weather, mood, etc. but it has proven somewhat true for me....

Glenn, those nice young deer are always nice....We cut mine up and we're making all of it into jerky except for the backstraps....15 lbs. of jerky around my house should last about....hmmm. let me see, 3 days...lol.  G
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Antler3

I agree with your info. They are awesome animals. Thats part of what keeps me huntin' Thanks for input. Good luck to you.
ANTLER 3

Antler3

Does anyone know the diffrence in the blowing of a doe and buck when they are alarmed ? I've been told they sound different. I have heard them both and can't recall any difference.
ANTLER 3

BigEddySprings

I think the deer are affected more by the accompanying fronts just prior to the 20-40 mph winds, moon phases that affect feeding patterns and nocturnal activities...Etc.
I agree with the others though that wind by itself is not a deterrent to deer moving...Its usually more of a hinderance to the hunter...depending on tree stand or ground blind...I really don't care to sit in a tree when it is blowing real hard...But I do...Because time is valuable...Tree time is invaluable.

Tags: