Oh dear, oh deer!

Started by babbyc1000, May 23, 2007, 04:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslingergirl

Babby,

Sorry to hear you're feeling ill.  Hope things get better.

GSG
We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

M. R. Byrd

Babby,

As some know, I am a little crazy(in a good way) about wildlife. The man that works for me has a similar interest, so as we travel to a job or to the ranch to work, we are both on the watch for wildlife. It could be a pair of quail in the ditch or a pair of mallards and their ducklings in a pothole, or deer. You would probably enjoy spending a day or two with me.

Since we are talking of deer---
Saturday, my wife and I were scouting our CRP fields for an invasive plant called a musk thistle. We were on my Polaris 6 wheeler and came to a place where a grassed waterway and my CRP and an irrigated circle comes together and out comes a whitetail buck in velvet, then another, then another. There were eight bucks in velvet in that bachelor group. You know you could put that to music using the "Twelve Days of Christmas" tune---On the Eighth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, "Eight bucks in velvet, bounding." Anyway it was a pretty sight.

Then yesterday, my helper and I came across two dandy mule deer bucks in velvet. They were not far off the road in a mature winter wheat field that is probably four feet tall. Their racks were developing nicely and were noticeably bigger than the whitetail bucks of a few days before. The only way I could tell that they were mulies was their characteristic bounce. I have said that I thought mulies had pogo sticks attached to their legs, since they have a tendenancy to bounce rather than run.

A few weeks ago, when my mother and I were leaving the ranch and out of the corner of my eye I see something running and it is two bull elk in velvet. I knew there were some elk moving into our country, but this was my first encounter with them.

I definitely enjoy seeing the wildlife and hunting it too and I appreciate the opportunties that I have. I enjoy your posts about life and wildlife on your side the pond-keep your posts coming. I do hope and pray that all will be well with your health.

God Bless,

Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

gitano

We're gonna hafta pitch in and get you a digitial camera Maynard.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

M. R. Byrd

Paul,

You have an excellent idea. As a suggestion, I really like Nikon, say maybe one of those Nikon D200 Digital SLR with a nice long lens. I do have a telephoto for my Nikormat EL 35mm, but I really hate taking film when I can do it on a memory stick. I do have a Nikon Coolpix that I carry, but it only has 3X, so I can't reach out an bring in the wildlife like I want.

Here is what I mean. I took this picture of one of the bachelor group and then enlarged it with Photo Suite. You can see the quality is not there.

Maynard Reece
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

MrRee

I do it the easy way,  with trail cameras !   set them up around the woods to see where the deer are are,  what time & all that.  

I don't buy cams any more,  much better & cheaper to build one yourself !!
http://www.hagshouse.ipbhost.com/forums/
Check out that site for tons & tons of info about game cams.  You can make your own for half the price of buying one.

I don't go the infra red,  all the extra slave flash stuff, ect.    You can still get really nice pics with just a simple set-up and much cheaper than the cams you buy in a store.  

Also if you have problems with one,  these guys can tell you how to fix it !!   can't do that with a store cam.
Democrats kill more people with their DRIVEING than Republicans do with their GUNS !!!

MrRee

I do it the easy way, with trail cameras ! set them up around the woods to see where the deer are are, what time & all that.

I don't buy cams any more, much better & cheaper to build one yourself !!
http://www.hagshouse.ipbhost.com/forums/
Check out that site for tons & tons of info about game cams. You can make your own for half the price of buying one.

I don't go the infra red, all the extra slave flash stuff, ect. You can still get really nice pics with just a simple set-up and much cheaper than the cams you buy in a store.

Also if you have problems with one, these guys can tell you how to fix it !! can't do that with a store cam.
Democrats kill more people with their DRIVEING than Republicans do with their GUNS !!!

Tags: