Is a 150gr bullet enough for elk?

Started by teddy12b, May 29, 2007, 09:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

super 30

That's the name of the game. While I am not suggesting you (or anyone else) throw their manuals away, keep in mind that in today's world of litigation the bullet makers and the loading manuals that they offer are VERY conservative in the data that they allow to be published. This does not mean that redline is book redline + 2 more grains of powder, but compressed loads are no more unusual today than they were 50 years ago. In fact, they are commonplace due to the slower powders that we now have. Sounds like you may have found a load. I hope you do well with it. Good luck.

Alton R Dillon

super 30  has said it right. I have also have guided elk hunters,and killed many elk.  I once had a 66 yr old lady shoot a big cow with a .243 win. 1 shot.  Keep playing with your handloads, some bullets have different length bearing surfaces, the part that makes contact with your riflings.  if you want to  use 180 gr bullets try some boat tails and  try magnum primers with a hot load.  I use 55 gr 4350 with my sierra game kings , this might be too hot for your rifle so you have to work up to it , and watch for pressure signs. I call it good when the primer shows it has flatened  a little bit.  But  don't worry a well placed shot with a 150gr 30.06 will kill anything in north america. Good luck hunting,
 Alton

recoil junky

I split the difference in my '06 A.I. I went to 165 grain Hornady Interlocks. At pert near 3000 fps at the muzzle There's still a bunch of energy at 300 yards. I wouldn't be afraid to go farther than that but I'd want everything to be perfect.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

super 30

165's at 3000 from the muzzle of an '06 is some serious speed. I can get about 2950 from mine, but that is with 150's. And that load is warm. My 300 H&H will give me 3100 easily with 165's, but with that case, it should.

givens6

RJ , You did not specify bullet caliber or brand. These are very important considerations. A 150 gr .270 is constructed different than a 150 gr .30 cal. 150 is heavy for the .270 ,but light for the .30. also no matter what caliber you use I would suggest using a heavy for caliber bullet(premium) and shooting for the shoulder. Elk are an incredibly tough animal and can take a lot. Although I have only killed 6 or 7 myself we usually end up taking about 4 a year-usually cows. total elk harvest I have been involved w/ is nearing 30. I tell you this not to brag, but to say that I have seen a few Elk taken and have seen some of what works and what does not. The only really bad one was shot by my wife using 150 gr Remington Cor-loc. Before anyone goes ape on me let me say that I have no Idea why I let her shoot that load for elk. It was a bad mistake that I take responsiblilty for. We hunt in Washington w/ lots of Elk , but LOT of hunters. Consequently , we try to shoot the elk through the shoulders to put them on the ground. My wife put 4 rounds(2 in the L shoulder 1 R shoulder & 1 straight on) at 100 yds. The last one finally went between a rib & got to the lungs just on top of the heart. had she been shooting what I am now recomending, I think we would have had a better experience. Hope this helps. Givens

Daryl (deceased)

givens6.

Actually, RJ did mention caliber.  The first sentence of his posts is "I split the difference in my '06 AI".  If you read more of his posts, he's been in on a couple of elk kills himself (he lives in the heart of some of the best elk country you'll find).

As far as your wife's experience with the 150 grain cor loct bullets, that's not all that uncommon.  I personally avoid the shoulders, and always have.

An uncle of mine shot a bull 4 times several years ago.  The first two shots glanced off the shoulder blade, the third broke the bull's leg, and the last got to the lungs.  He was shooting 175 grain premium bullets from a 7mm Rem Mag. His cartridge was plenty sufficient, but the angle of the shot was bad.

My dad recently had a similar experience with a bull.  He shot the bull in the shoulder with a .300 Win Mag using 180 gr Grand Slam bullets.  They tracked that bull for a lot of miles before he got another shot.  It was a slightly quartering shot, and the bullet glances off of the shoulder blade.

The shoulder shot, of course, CAN work well enough, but it's also a bit risky.  Square on shots at the shoulder with good bullets in a hard hitting caliber will most often break the shoulder, but any kind of glancing angle can cause some problems from what I've seen; especially with a large, heavy boned bull.

Personally, I use 145 grain bullets (either Speer BTSP's or Grand Slams) from a 7mm Rem Mag.  Sound light?  Maybe.  This same load has taken many deer, a couple antelope, several elk, a bear, and three buffalo, and only one bullet has ever failed to exit for me.  Even a shot at a large bull buffalo, at a lazered 329 yards, shot completely through the chest.  The bullet that I recovered was from a finishing shot on an elk at around 600 yards.

But, I place my bullets carefully behind the shoulder, or occasionally I'll opt for a neck shot.  I've never lost an animal using this cartridge, and this is the load I've been using for the last 15 years or so.

It works perfectly for me, but like any other cartridge/bullet/load combination, the bullet has to be placed right to be effective.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

MountainMafia

I have taken a number of elk with the "old manufactoring style" 150 grain Nosler partition in my 30/06 without any problem. But when Nosler started to make the 165 grain Partition (years ago), I switched because of better ballistics. I had equally good success. I push the 165 grain Nosler with 51 grains of IMR4064. As has been said by the others, bullet placement is the key to good clean kills.
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

BeaverJack

Quote from: recoil junky;62728Kinda what the rock said. Depends on the caliber. A 150 out of my 7 mag, yes. Out of an '06 no.

RJ

Squares with me. With a .270, I'd opt for the Nosler 160 grain partition. Still a lil' on the skimpy side, but it will generally penetrate due to it being a long, tough bullet. Still you need to have a good shot and do your part. Even so, ribs can't be seen through the best german made scope, and animals are always apt to turn unpredictably just when the trigger breaks.

Broadside through the shoulders is my favorite shot over 100 yds.  Use enough bullet and it will take the bull down right now.  Angled shots make a difference.  I can't imagine a 7 mag 175 grand slam not penetrating, but I suppose it happens.

teddy12b

If I ever did get the chance to hunt elk I would use the 150gr Barnes triple shocks.  I know it's a lighter bullet than what most people would prefer, but that weight shoots the best in my barrel.  If I found a heavier bullet that was just as accurate I would of course go with that.

Tags: