Field Report

Started by Gmoney, December 01, 2004, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

After approximately sitting on stand for 100+ hours so far I finally saw a buck that was just what I was looking for.... He was 21 1/2 inches outside spread, had 8 points and I aged him at 4 1/2 years old....His brows were both 5 inches long, his G2's were 7 1/2 and 8 inches, and his G3's were 9 1/2 and 9 3/4 inches long....

I watched him during the half moon before daylight and knew he was a good one and the waiting till light game began......

A larger deer appeared on our back fence but never offered a shot for me and finally this dude decided that he wanted to chase does so he hops over our feeder fence and began the "rut trot". Not being able to stop him even with a grunt I took him at approximately 60 yards while he was "rut trotting".  I hit him a little farther back than I would have liked but still destroyed the back portion of his lungs....the 120 grain factory Nosler ballistic tips out of my Savage .260 flipped him and he didn't move.  

The "autopsy" showed a clean pass through with massive trauma to the vitals...

The "autopsy" however suprised me some.... With a pass through and with the massive trauma to the vitals you would expect a large gaping hole on the way out with those ballistic tips..... but there was only a tiny little hole that was hardly distinguishable....

I cannot say enough about the .260 Remington...for a beginner or for those who don't want to mess with recoil unless you have to, this is a great round...not to mention a great performance of bullet as well....who knows when pictures arrive....I'm in the same boat with Rockin' and Hunterbug...I've got much more film to use before they get developed....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

RatherBHuntin

You better start takin pics of the sunrise then.....it's in the east.  Congrats.  He sounds like a real brute, and a real good typical too, thats cool.  He sounds almost  perfectly symetrical, Three quarters of an inch aint much.  You gonna have him mounted?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Gmoney

He was very symmetrical Glenn.....Every good deer we have ever seen around our place has been very symmetrical....I just cut his skull cap off and I'll just make a horn mount....I'll get a real brute one of these days and I'll mount him   G
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

rockinbbar

Cool!

Patience pays off, huh? I'm glad you got a nice buck there. Sometimes it is hard to pass up a good buck for one you really want......It speaks well of you, as a hunter.

I agree with you also on the mounting subject. While I enjoy the good bucks that I have taken, I keep only the rack. I'll not have one mounted unless he is B&C quality...

Oh yes, I got my film back...I'll scan & post some pics in the Varmint section....Also have some pics of the real heavy snowfall we had here. They are awesome as well.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: