Pet deer

Started by 12 gauge, August 19, 2007, 04:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12 gauge

Well I know here in Virginia it is indeed illegal to keep any wild animal as a 'pet'. But here around the house we've been having a 5-6 pointer and a doe hanging around and is not afraid of me or my family.

Personally I think the buck and the doe trust me enough so far because I've walked out to them about 20 yards away and they just stared. Then before I know it the doe walked up to me and was roughly 10 feet away! I recon she thought I had food on me. But basically these deer are becoming so called "pets" I would certainly not hurt these deer in any manner.

Sitting on the front porch with my folks they walk up to 25 yards away and eat. Any noise or moves we make they ignore and they occasionally look up to make sure we aren't making any sudden moves, but other than that they are at peace.

I know the dangers of approaching a wild animal, so I am well aware of the capability, strength and territory of these animals. But I trust they are more curious than anything.

Has anyone else had this experience where you watch a wild deer in the summer time or off season and instead of being afraid they are more curious and they approach you?

I just thought I'd share this story as a peaceful and moments that will be in my memory forever. I've never had any wildlife approach me and be that close (10 feet!) and not fear me.

God bless :angel:
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Paul Hoskins

12 Gauge, I don't recollect any large wildlife knowingly approach me that close. I used to have a big fox squirrel here that would come in the hiuse if I left the door open or opened it for him. He had no fear of me but wouldn't let me pet or touch him. There used to be an albino buck in the area that would let you come close to him but he had been in captivity before........Paul H

Daryl (deceased)

Gotta be careful with stuff like that.  When the rut's on, the bucks can get a little ornery.

Also, where deer are, predators will also be.  I know of at least one case in Colorado where a lady had to quit feeding the deer.  She enjoyed watching them, but got worried at the bears and the mt lion she ended up with around the house.

Still, they're fun to watch, and you can oft-times learn from them.

Just use caution, mi amigo, and enjoy it for what it is.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Vermonster

My grandparents in Maine have had a couple different deer over the years that have become used to them working in the garden, and are comfortable enough that they approach them.  They even had a doe 6 or 7 years ago that would let you pet her.......

12 gauge

Quote from: Daryl;65489Gotta be careful with stuff like that. When the rut's on, the bucks can get a little ornery.

Also, where deer are, predators will also be. I know of at least one case in Colorado where a lady had to quit feeding the deer. She enjoyed watching them, but got worried at the bears and the mt lion she ended up with around the house.

Still, they're fun to watch, and you can oft-times learn from them.

Just use caution, mi amigo, and enjoy it for what it is.

Daryl

No doubt, when it comes to the rut I will leave them be, but for right now they are just feeding. As far as natural predators around here we hardly have any. Occasionally a bear will sneak through but really none of the deer have a natural predator except me and my family during hunting season.

I've seen foxes, they are about the only predator the deer have (baby deer). But mostly the foxes around here feed on the cotton-tail rabbits. The reason why the deer are as calm as they are around us they know that we are the only predator they have, and they know when hunting season is and isn't. Last year we hardly even seen deer out here! then come the spring and summer they are appearing out of nowhere lol! :biggthumpup:  

The same might happen this fall, they might dissapear again. I would love to be able to pet a deer but like always you've got to take percautions.

God bless :angel:
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Paul Hoskins

12gauge, You also have coyotes whether you know it or not. They are everywhere..............Paul H

RatherBHuntin

I've told my kids not to play with their food, but they don't listen....This is a couple hundred acre open rehab zoo (petting zoo) and as the rut approaches they put all the bucks and at least half the does in another enclosure, close dto the public.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

MrRee

I have a corn feeder in my front yard and it's been there a couple/three years now.
Deer are hear morning, noon, & night.  

We love sitting on the porch watching them and the crazy things they do.
A friend stopped in one day and could not believe what he saw come up !!!

we had 5 bucks at the feeder while we sat there drinking our umm coffie :) and were talking just 20 yards away.   He kept shakeng his head saying " I don't believe this, it just aint right ! "

We will shut the feeder OFF a couple weeks befor hunting season so they quit comeing here.   They are so tame now that cars go by and they just look up at them and continue eating.  We have a couple of cars that drive by often,  very slowly as they have seen the bucks in the yard befor.  Maybe I should shut it off befor bow season too.

3 years ago we has some fool come sit on a stool in the front yard !!!!!  Had to have the DNR come out and explain that one to him,   He told me  he was hunting the road, not my property!!   **** fool told that to the DNR too and got road hunting added to his charges as well as trespassing :)
Democrats kill more people with their DRIVEING than Republicans do with their GUNS !!!

Tags: