One tough little .22

Started by sakorick, June 09, 2008, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I went to an estate sale on Saturday and picked up this sweet little .22 trainer. It was made by the Romanians to train Army personnel unfamiliar with firearms. Of course it didn't look like this 48 hours ago as the black lacquer was hideous. The weapon has some neat features such as a spring trap door in the butt for the cleaning rod, brush etc and a visual safety that is a pin that sticks out of the shroud when cocked. This would make a perfect youth rifle as it is tough and functional. Well, I'm going out to practice being a youth and blast some cans! As accurate a .22 I have fired and for 125 dollars cheap fun!:jumpingsmiley: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

RatherBHuntin

Rick,
I've seen these before, nice little 22s.  About average price, but above average quality.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Paul Hoskins

Rick, that's a nice looking little gun. I've seen them advertized for sale somewhere. It reminds me of a break barrel pellet rifle at first glance. ..........Paul H

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Hunterbug

They used to be about $50.:no: But they are a nice little 22, English who used to frequent here had one and really liked it if I remember right. The scope groves are not the standard ones so if you want to mount a scope you need to get special mounts.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

22hornet

What a great little rifle. Great find.

Any idea of the offical designation and history of the model?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: 22hornet;79666What a great little rifle. Great find.

Any idea of the offical designation and history of the model?

I believe it's a M1969. They were used to train non-combatant military personnel. Regards, Rick.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: yep, those are nice full size rifle's.........I got a friend that uses one to hunt with....... I like the 3 leaf type sight.... each one is set for a different meter,25,50 and 100....... with two flipped down the sight is set for 25 meters,.. with one down it's 50, with them all up it's a 100, you may this...but I'll pass it on to the others.......enjoy.... give us a report on it,. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jorge in Oz

Nice 22, is it Mauser made?
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;79683Nice 22, is it Mauser made?

Nope, it's Romanian. I have seen pre-war Mausers sell for 600 to 1K......out of my league! Regards, Rick.

gitano

Nice rifle Rick. Do you have bunnies and squirrels to get after on your place?

I've got a few of these "M69 .22s". They all shoot well. Being a bolt action 5-shot, they are very good gun to start a kid on in my opinion. The clips on the ones I have are mediocre at best, and consistent feeding required a little adjusting.

Each of mine produce different muzzle velocities with identical ammo. Not too big a deal, especially if you have only one, but statistically significantly different nonetheless.

HB's right about the receiver dovetail - it requires non-standard rings if you wanna 'scope one.

Paul

PS - Have you seen the Radom .22 trainers?

PPS - It's the only "stock" .22 I own that will shoot the Aguila SSS bullet without it key-holing. Which suggests that its twist rate is faster than the world-wide standard of 1:16.
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;79717Nice rifle Rick. Do you have bunnies and squirrels to get after on your place?

PS - Have you seen the Radom .22 trainers?

PPS - It's the only "stock" .22 I own that will shoot the Aguila SSS bullet without it key-holing. Which suggests that its twist rate is faster than the world-wide standard of 1:16.

Hello Paul.

Yes, lots of Bugs' and Rockys.

Yes, I have seen the Random trainers and have been looking for one for years. They have gotten very very expensive.

My Ruger 10/22 long barrel handles the Aguila bullets too!

Here are pics refinished au naturale, Regards, Rick.

22hornet

Ah, so you prefer blondes eh?  That has got to be the whitest stock I have ever seen. Any idea what type of timber that is?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: 22hornet;79815Ah, so you prefer blondes eh? That has got to be the whitest stock I have ever seen. Any idea what type of timber that is?

It is Beech. I also have a Ruger 10/22 that I refinished the same way. Here is a pic. I carry it on the four wheeler when downrange on the farm. I can't count the Muskrats, skunks, possums, coons and other critters I've shot with it. It handles the Aguila bullets perfectly too! :biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

LvrLover

Those SSS cartridges really good or are they just a gimmick? I've used their Super Colibri rounds in my single six for practice and they are fun to shoot.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: