Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Quote from: mhanna3;65511thanks for the info! I was just out bidded so I think I am going to take some time and search for some more Ph rifles for sale. Too bad there is only a handfull to look at

Good idea, Matt. I always find the rifle I want when not looking. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

mhanna3

well I ended up getting one. Its in 300 win mag. I think I got it for a good price.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78348244
from the pics of the rifle, can anyone tell me what model they think it is?
The rifle will be going to my gun smith in ohio. This guy builds some snazy mausers most of them shoot about 1/2moa. Im gonna see if there is any work that will be needed before I take it under my wing. once that is done I plan to share the range report with ya all

Brithunter

Hi There,

Looks like it may be a 1200 Super a sit has the basket weave chequering and the gold plated trigger.
Go Get them Floyd!

ForneyRider

Anybody know where I can geta replacement stock for the PH 1200?
Be nice to have a two-tone with checkering. I have Bell & Carlson black composite on their now. Original was destroyed.
When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Brithunter

Hi There Forney Rider,

Well possibly but as it's here in the UK you might not like the prices :undecided:  as they are much higher than you are used to. As for two tone? the pistol grip cap and fore stock tip are Rosewood on the 1200's. I would ahve to call and check if they have any stocks left as I know they have been building up rifles for the parts and using the P-H stocks. They brought a lot when the factory was cleared out.
Go Get them Floyd!

ForneyRider

Well here is the info on my P-H rifle.

BNP with crown all over the place.

MAG-68993 on side of action. Also a matching number on the bolt.

Bottom of action is purple now.

Gold trigger.

Formerly 2-tone stock, now a Bell & Carlson fiberglass.

7 mm MAG.
PARKER-HALE LTD.
BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND

I really like the safety. Does anyone know what that style is called?

The dovetail sights are still installed.

Tasco 3-9x32 been on there for decades. I shot Caribou in Alaska at 200 and 300 yards at -35degrees Fahrenheit.

Still waiting on the replacement bolt body. May have the 'smith blueprint it, jewel the bolt and re-blue it all. Has quite a bit of surface rust.

Is this a 1200?

sakorick

Hello Rider. Possibly, some pics would help. Does it have the import mark, Jana, Denver, Colo? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

ForneyRider

I don't see any other marks other than these ones I stated.

I may end up taking the rifle apart to get the bolt fixed and replace the scope. I would like to get the gun cleaned up and looking better. It has been abused. But it is accurate, so I am reluctant to touch anything that might detract from that.

There have been several rounds put through it all very accurate and safe.

ForneyRider

Okay, I took the gun apart.

Underneath the barrel:

7 M/M MAGNUM 2.50 "
19.5 TONS PER "

.. \ /

T /\ B

. / 2 \

Underneath the action:

217 on one side of front screw hole of action, an * on the other side.

3 T on bottom.

Trigger:
PARKER HALE ENGLAND 98/148

Sorry no pics, I can barely see the markings with my eye.

I called SARCO. They said the bolt body will be here in a couple of days. I looked at their site, their computer crashed and they lost some orders.

j4570

I need help with dating a parker hale also I just picked up,

Serial is MAG-246XX

300 Win Mag, imported by Jana

Picture of Proof:

The letters/numbers look like v   3   6   as read from left to right bewteen the crossed area.

Gun looks unfired, Still had scope base filler screws in it.  Dealer had a 308 also, trying to think about that, he's having a new recoil pad put on it.  Mine had no pad (was rubber mess) and I bought it as is, I fit the pad and installed it along with Weaver Bases and I scope I had.  Now to go and shoot her.

Thanks

JW

Paul Hoskins

JW, welcome to THL forums. I know little about these guns but would like to see a picture of it. Can you accomodate?.........Paul H

Brithunter

Hi There,

Well they are letters and not numbers so the right one is a B the left could be one of several. Trouble is that B was used on the right from 1950 up to 1984 :Banghead:

UB=1969
VB=1970
WB=1971
XB=1972
YB=1973
KB=1984

So now all you have to do is decide what that left hand letter is :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

j4570

Brithunter, I think it's a V, so that's a 1970.  thanks for the info.

Paul, I'll try and get a pic up.  Should have taken one before I mounted the scope.

This looks like it's going to be a nice gun.  I really didn't need it, but for the price, adding a 300 Mag to the collection wasn't a bad idea I thought (and I like Mausers).  I ordered some Prvi-Partisan 165 ammo, since it was fairly cheap, just to try it out.  I'll probably load for it (bought dies too, I have 165 Gr bullets I load for my 7.5 Swiss, either Sierra or Hornady).  Since I'm mostly hunting deer, that will be plenty.  If I go Elk hunting again, I'll take this along with my 375 H&H Rem 700, but depending on how I like it, I might have to choose which one will be the backup!

I wish the other one the guy had was a 30-06, I would have bought both!

JW

j4570

Here are pics:

There it is.

JW

Brithunter

Hey that looks like MY rifle :eek: :-

As you can see same light honey coloured walnut and dark rosewood tip and grip cap. Mine is stamped 7.92mm (8mm Mauser). As you see I took the foresight hood off mine and it's tucked away safely.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: