Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j4570

That's tempting, though not worth much more to me than the starting bid and it has no iron signts?  Did Presentation Grades not have iron sights?  

I'd like a 30-06 Parker Hale or Husqvarna, but I'm a shooter, not a collector.

JW

Big Banger

No the Presentation Model did not have sights.
Mat

Brithunter

Hi All,

Hmmm the P-H 1200P's I have seen and the photo in the catalogue I have all have the High Glass finish. This one does not seem to have the high gloss finish.
Go Get them Floyd!

Mines1

Quote from: j4570;67314You can "preview" part of the Gibbs Rifle Co. Section of the Blue Book of gun values here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=eWFt_wO2eK8C&pg=PA4&dq=blue+book+inc&sig=lgea_8Ihc3HZ-oAvbrVntq-SYkc#PRA3-PA751,M1

It talks a little about the Midland.  But I'll have to find my Blue Book and look in it and see what it says.  

You'll probably need high speed internet.

JW

Thanks JW, I have been to that site before and it is OK but you are limited to some pages of the book to preview (fair enough) and I couldn't get to the Midland section.

Doug

sakorick

Quote from: j4570;67314You can "preview" part of the Gibbs Rifle Co. Section of the Blue Book of gun values here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=eWFt_wO2eK8C&pg=PA4&dq=blue+book+inc&sig=lgea_8Ihc3HZ-oAvbrVntq-SYkc#PRA3-PA751,M1

It talks a little about the Midland. But I'll have to find my Blue Book and look in it and see what it says.

You'll probably need high speed internet.

JW

Hello JW and welcome to the forum. Frankly, the Blue book of gun values means nothing to me. The book is fraught with **** prices and a general lack of facts. There are hundreds of ommissions and errors. My take is to never purchase a firearm using this as a source:Banghead: . The exceptions are Model 70 Winchesters and ADL/BDL Remingtons......and watch out here too! Firearms are worth what someone wants to pay.....not what a book says they are worth.  Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Here in the UK prices and fashions vary widely depending on locality :undecided: in some places you will not see older rifles like Parker-Hale and BSA on the racks as the shops are only interested in selling the new heavily hyped in the media stuff which often has plastic stocks etc. Should heaven forbid something go wrong with a new gun then they can simply pass the buck onto the importer as a lot of modern gunshops do not have any Gunsmiths and in a lot of cases any knowledge about the workings of the very guns that they sell. Shops like this only see me once.

Some of these places should an older make come in will simply stick it out back out and then send it off to auction as it's not good enough to grace their racks :Banghead: . Some shops do this because regardless of condition of the rifle the uneducated locals would not buy it regardless of conditon and quality and instead buy a rifle which is fashionable and hyped by the shooting press. Seduced if you will by flashy write ups and photos and of course so that they may bask in the glow on envy of their equally shallow friends :stare:  for in these circles not having the right brand is a henious crime :greentongue: .

Now of course this has a beneficial upside for those who like myself apprecieate the older rifles :biggthumpup:  so may their ignorance continue!
Go Get them Floyd!

j4570

sakorick,

I was simply pointing out the page.  I wouldn't rely 100% on the Blue Book Either, but it's a good reference to have around, I buy it every 3-5 years on closeout.  But it should not be a person's ONLY reference.

The pricing is really hit or miss these days, if something is hot, it's way off.  The internet can stir up a lot of stuff.  Take a Smith 696 44 Special, it's like $200-400 low on what they are going for.  That's nuts!!!  But I have seen other guns they claim are gold mines to simply not bring the money in the condition stated (including Model 70 Winchesters).

I think we should be happy the Parker-Hale, along with the likes of Husqvarna FN's, J.C. Higgin's FN's, and other Mauser type actions are relatively good bargains right now.  Particularly, in the US, European calibers uncommon in the US can be had at a discounted price (a 7x57 or 8x57 will not be worth as much to the average hunter as a 30-06, but a collector might pay a premium if it's rare).

I'm enjoying discussing Parker-Hale's here as there seems very little information about them on the net.

JW

Mines1

Quote from: sakorick;67316Here is a picture of a Parker Hale 1000 with the set screw on the bolt stop with a 03 bolt. I have never seen one in this configuration. Regards, Rick.

Hi all

Here is a picture of my PH 1979 .270 midland as discussed earlier in posts with a set screw, but has a different method to remove the bolt.

Doug

sakorick

Quote from: j4570;67426sakorick,

I was simply pointing out the page. I wouldn't rely 100% on the Blue Book Either, but it's a good reference to have around, I buy it every 3-5 years on closeout. But it should not be a person's ONLY reference.

The pricing is really hit or miss these days, if something is hot, it's way off. The internet can stir up a lot of stuff. Take a Smith 696 44 Special, it's like $200-400 low on what they are going for. That's nuts!!! But I have seen other guns they claim are gold mines to simply not bring the money in the condition stated (including Model 70 Winchesters).

I think we should be happy the Parker-Hale, along with the likes of Husqvarna FN's, J.C. Higgin's FN's, and other Mauser type actions are relatively good bargains right now. Particularly, in the US, European calibers uncommon in the US can be had at a discounted price (a 7x57 or 8x57 will not be worth as much to the average hunter as a 30-06, but a collector might pay a premium if it's rare).

I'm enjoying discussing Parker-Hale's here as there seems very little information about them on the net.

JW

Hello JW. Good. I sure would like to be able to find a NIB Sako Deluxe pre Garcia with the Bofors mark for 800 dollars! That is but one example. Speaking of FN Mausers, there was a number of companies including Wards, Western Auto and many others that marketed FN Mausers back in the very early 60's. They are sensational shooters....most were chambered in 30'06. I good friend of mine has one that he paid $30 for at Western Auto in Boulder Colo back in the late 50's that is a one holer. That rifle should be worth at least 600 dollars but they sell for 1/2....shoot, the action is worth 500 bucks!
Regards, Rick.

hunt4ever

I have the exact same rifle you have pictured - my father purchased years ago & I'm starting to use it now - awesome!  What model is this rifle?

Brithunter

Hi All,

The last rifle pictured is a Midland by Parker-Hale and yes Sakorick I looked at one at the Bisley show it also had the screw in the bolt release but the screw was a cheese headed one not a hex socket screw. I am thinking that the earlier one may have had the straight slotted cheese head screw and the socket screwss are later. It's only a theory of mine and would require careful examination of the view marks to date them to proove or dis proove my theory. One day I hope to get a nice Midland for my collection.
Go Get them Floyd!

Crowe73

Hello everyone.  I am looking for info on a Parker Hale rifle I inherited from my grandfather.  It is a .308 and apparently was made for JC Penney.  I believe my grandfather purchased it sometime in the late 60's or early 70's.  It doesn't have a model name on it, only a serial # (p77635).  I have searched the net to try and cross reference the serial, but it appears you guys are the only people on the planet mildly interested in the Parker Hales.  I have shot the gun several times over the years and love it.  Thanks for any help.

sakorick

Quote from: Crowe73;68207Hello everyone. I am looking for info on a Parker Hale rifle I inherited from my grandfather. It is a .308 and apparently was made for JC Penney. I believe my grandfather purchased it sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. It doesn't have a model name on it, only a serial # (p77635). I have searched the net to try and cross reference the serial, but it appears you guys are the only people on the planet mildly interested in the Parker Hales. I have shot the gun several times over the years and love it. Thanks for any help.

Hello Crowe. I'm afraid without pictures none of us can be much help. Both PH and FN made rifles for Mr. JC. We would need pics of the trigger and guard, both sides of the stock, detail of bolt, safety and shroud, Buttpad, and front sight.

Does it have rosewood caps with white spacers? does it have a gold trigger? Have you taken it out of the stock and checked for markings on the lower part of the action? Does it have skipline checkering? Get back to us with pics and I'm sure we can help you out. Regards, Rick.

gitano

Quoteit appears you guys are the only people on the planet mildly interested in the Parker Hales

20 pages of posts in this thread - maybe it should be "stickied" to the top of the Firearms & Optics. No?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Big Banger

This thread hasn't had much action lately so here check out this PH Safari .375 I bought today. Made in 1967 it has a Weaver 2.5 scope on it.
Mat

Tags: