It's done!

Started by Jamie.270, April 27, 2009, 02:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

Hi guys.  
Well the Mauser project is done morphing.  All those hours of hand sanding, fitting, polishing, rubbing, and rubber gloves is over.  Other than the barrel hanging, chambering (.260 AAR) and crowning chores done by the 'smith, I did it all myself.  This has been gratifying to say the least, and I'm already looking for my next project.  

The stock was re-contoured, checkered, tru-oil finished and re-channeled to float the new barrel.  About an inch is bedded with the action.
The action was polished, blued, holes pugged and 'glass bedded.  The bolt handle was polished, checkered on the underside and blued along with the shroud and safety.
The #3 sporter barrel was polished and blued.
The bottom metal was polished and blued, and the trigger guard narrowed.

If anyone wants to know how to get this kind of finish out of Oxpho-blue, just ask. My finishes match the Burris signature ring's finish perfectly. Once you figure it out the stuff is great!

The glass on it is an older Burris PAO 6x18x40 mounted with Burris signature rings on a Leupold mount.  My old varmint scope.  I might be optimistic about needing a 6-18, but it will do for now.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some fireformng to do!

Thanks for all the help and advice on this project guys.  I really appreciate it.

Range report coming soon.
Jamie
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Very nice! A classic looking rifle for sure.

Looking forward to range reports and pictures of dead animals.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Ah yep ditto on the nice
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

22hornet

Looks like you put some hard hours into that rifle! And it look great too:biggthumpup: . There is something about having a one of a kind rifle to impire you. Well done.
What is a .260AAR?

Can't wait for the range report.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jamie.270

Quote from: 22hornet;92305What is a .260AAR?

That would also be known as a 6.5X.257 Ackley Improved 40*.  Better velocity than a .260REM, but not the barrel burner that a 6.5X.284 is.  They are mentioned in the "Is 6.5 the ultimate caliber?" thread.  What's not to like?  :D  Ol' John posted a pic of it here:
http://thehunterslife.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10525&stc=1&d=1232386078
It is the one on the far right. (Hmmm, kinda like me!)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Very, VERY nicely done!:biggthumpup:

A classic action coupled to a classic cartridge!

Life is good!:biggthumpup:

Ol' John:Banghead: :sleeping:

PS.. If you ever find your way to Castell, Texas..stop by and I will endeavor to obtain a beverage of your choice!
Oh yea!  Bring the rifle with you!
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

22hornet

Thanks Jamie , that is one good looking cartridge.

I really like your checkering too! What made you come up with that pattern?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jamie.270

My first serious shooting at 15 or 16 was in the DCM the Dept. of Civilian Marksmanship. (now the CMP Civilian Marksmanship Program).  Here in the states it is a program to teach young shooters marksmanship.
My coach (Uncle Lew) put friction tape on the fore end of my '03 Spfld. in that pattern to teach me where to hold the stock without looking.
He hunted with a custom Mauser in 8x57 that had a narrow scnabel fore end.
The checkering is a tribute to him, as well as being practical during those bouts of buck fever!

BTW, the AAR stands for All Around Rifle.  P.O. Ackley's name for the round.

22hornet

That checkering is a good idea, (and one that I will probably steal in the future!)

About the Oxpho-blue? Did you do that yourself too? Can you please provide me with some details?

Jamie.270

Thank you all for the kind words.  Can you tell I'm proud of it?:o

If I ever make it to Castell John, I'll be bringing the beverage in the form of a nicely aged Bourbon as thanks!  All you'll need to provide is a little ice. :D

Jamie.270

Quote from: 22hornet;92317That checkering is a good idea, (and one that I will probably steal in the future!)

Feel free!

QuoteAbout the Oxpho-blue? Did you do that yourself too? Can you please provide me with some details?
Yes I did.  They recommend using steel wool to apply it, but I found that it starts the reaction early on the steel wool itself.  It is a selenious & phosphoric acid/steel reaction that deposits the protective blue coating on the steel.  The deposited coating is Cupric and Nickel.  It turns the steel wool black, dissolving/contaminating it and using up the acid's reaction properties.
Looking around the garage for something that wouldn't start the reaction prematurely, I came up with a piece of fiberglass cloth.  It deposits/spreads the solution nicely and about the 3rd application will provide you with a light abrasive to start the polishing process.  Let it dry completely between coats to complete the reaction.  Then you finish up with 4/0 steel wool on the 4th or 5th application, polishing the finish to the gloss you see in the pics.  
Oxpho-Blue is tough as nails and prevents corrosion/rust like any good conversion coating.  Way better than hot blueing from what I've seen.  
I tested it in a salt water bath on an old piece of barrel.

Hope that helps,
   Jamie

sakorick

Very very nice. Great job on a great rifle. The 6.5 caliber sure has many wildcats! I have built three, the 6.5-284, 6.5-55 AI and the 6.5-'06 AI my current deer rifle and a beast it is. Regards, Rick.  
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Mauserfan in TX

Beautifully done. Very classy look to it. I can hardly wait to see the range report.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

davidlt89

great Job!!!! Looks very nice! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

LvrLover

You cold blued the whole gun? Let me know how it stands up to time. I've used it for spot work, but never a whole gun. Nice job.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: