Encore muzzleloaders and twist

Started by subsonic, September 13, 2007, 09:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

subsonic

I don't know much about muzzleloaders, but I've been thinking about getting one.

I like the Encore setup from T/C, which has a 1:28 twist. I know this one is set up for the sabot loaded pistol bullets. Has anyone tried maxi-balls or patched round balls in one of these? Did it work at all? T/C shows load data for the maxi type, but not for PRB.

I have heard that the sabots like shallow rifling and the others need deeper rifling. Is this true?

If I wanted to shoot PRB, what is the fastest twist that is likely to work for that? I would be OK with 3"-4" @ 100yd with PRB. I am mostly interested in PRB and maxi-balls, don't really care about being able to shoot the sabts, but I like the Encore rifle. Did they make barrels for these that had a slower twist, like 1:48?

calestus

You could get a custom barrel made up for it.  For not a whole lot more than a factory one.

RatherBHuntin

As Calestus said, you may be able to get another barrel for it.

All the inline ML are intended to be shot using modern bullets and black powder substitutes.  As such they have the faster twists.  If you want to buy a ML ready to shoot PRBs off the shelf, look at the CVAs and Lyman Cap Locks and Flint Locks, they will have a 1:48 or 1:72??? which will give great accuracy, but not necessarily when shooting sabots.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Tags: