Aloha from the south shore of Oahu

Started by ben3d, March 27, 2008, 04:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben3d

Hi everyone,
     It's been like 5 years or so since I was posting much so I re registered.  I tried what I thought was my old user name and an email address from back then and got nothing. So I just started it all over again..  My interests are Rem 700's, got several of them .17 , .250 sav, 7mm08, 7mmSTW. and a Rem model 7 in 7mm08. I am also Ruger revolver fan ( especially the convertibles), Blackhawks and Single Sixes.  Under misc I have a Rem 760 in 35 rem with a shortened bbl (18 &1/2 ) for feral pigs and brush bustin,  (2) Rem 870's in 12 and 20. Some 22's, also a couple of  O/U's camper surviaval style in22lr 410 savage 24 and 22K hornet / 410 from Springfield Armory. I do have a few  semi handguns (3),,, A Springfield Armory P9C  in 9mm, a Baretta .380, and a Browning Buckmark plus in 22lr..with like a hvy bbl, 5 & 1/2 inch or so.... verryyy accurate out of the box.. I love to tinker with my stuff... most of them I have stoned the innards, especially the , some have cryo'ed bbls. I put muzzle brakes on the Rems, and had some smithing done on the guts.  I have camo'ed all the 700s and some others too, I had a bit of an art background so that was fun doing it in itself.  I used to do some precision reloading but haven't done much lately..  Back in the day, I was in JROTC in the first 2 years of high school and am a fairly good shoot.  I won the best first year shooter on the interscholastic competitive 3 position small bore shooting squad.  I have several air rifles for pest control for the fruit trees in the yard, sometimes that has been a job versus fun...  Over about 7-800 Bulbuls taken down, both the Red Vented and the Red Whiskered variety. It's probably higher than that but after a while who is counting..( I used to keep a log) for the reports that went along with a wildlife control permit, which is not necessary on private land but thought I would be better off with one.  Maybe  I will run a serch on some of the topics of my old posts and see if I can find my old user name... if the records go back that far...    talk to you later...  b3d

Alboy

Welcome back ben3d

As you are finding out we have had a couple of fairly major computer glitches. Thanks to Raven Beauty and Shadow Rider and compradres those seem to have been sorted out, not without a heap of work on their part I might add.

So now that you spotted the fire glow and wandered back in, pull up a stump, grab a cup and bring us all up to speed in your neck of the woods.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

bowhunter 51

Welcome back, b3d....Can't say I've  heard from anybody from the islands
since I've been here...it'l be interesting to hear about stuff from there...
Impressive collection ya got....did Army ROTC in high school myself....
Mandatory then....had a rifle range under the school cafeteria...qualifying
and competition type stuff...really enjoyed it.........................................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

ben3d

Hi Alboy and bowhunter 51,  On what's up in my neck of the woods. On the Big Island of Hawaii there have been intermittent consistent lava flows out of the sides of one of the volcanos since maybe the mid 80's. It's a nice tourist attraction... We like it too, and watch it on the nightly news from home. Usually the laval flows out of vents in the ground on it's side like a red and black river..  If they flow long enough they get down to the sea and that is a cool sight to see when the two collide.  It is really cool photography with the steam and colors it looks like a surreal sci fi thing.  The one in the news lately is blowing steam, gases, and some nasty noxious fumes out of one of the craters. Back in the day when I was a kid (the 60's) one of the local airlines had flights over it so we circled and I got to look out the window at it. We don't get the fountains real high very often, the tour choppers will be booked solid if it does.. which does not happen as much..  ( I think this current one was covered in the Yahoo news or google it.)  This might get interesting since occasionally it has enough juice to shoot fountains a couple hundred feet in the air.. Like  old faithful except molten lava rock... it is still amazing that rock can get so hot it melts and flows like water. On other stuff we finally had a conservative republican governor.. she is in her 2nd and last term because of term limits.. The dems ran the state since from the top down for 40 years, the Gov, the state Senate and house.. Hawaii was a stellar example the dems way doesn't work we were so messed up, and there was huge fighting amoungst themselves over the pieces of the power pie, so their model of gov't doesn't work, this state was so screwed up..  When Clinton wanted to push the anti gun stuff they came here and rammed stuff through. I was at the hearings and testified like many others... there was overwhelming opposition to further gun rights violation but that was not enough. The anti's were strong and even one weak republican flopped so the bills got out of committee. The anti's even brought out the HPD (honolulu police dept. ) in masse and force to support all the bans.. and they had a bit of a swagger like we're here and you better chill out with a purposeful intimidation presence.  You could smell the backroom deals guilt pretty thickly ... There was a real sit down and hush up sense to it all. ( like we were stupid enough to do something wild to get arrested ) we assembled peacefully to testify on the bills.  Was a real sad time. We still got to get a new permit to acquire for every new pistol,   The rifle permit is good for a year and you can get as many as you want for that year after you pass the background check. Oh and during that time they added black powder in as requiring a permit.  I just hope the D.C. case before the Supreme Court comes out saying that DC can't ban handguns.. I really hope McCain beats whom ever the dems put up or Hawaii will have a possibility of another hard time.  Her term ends soon so she won't be able to veto an anti gun bill. And the Lt. Gov is a nice guy but he might not have the chops to mix it up and take the next election... Well enough of politics... a short answer went long...  I forgot that I left out a rem 660 that was rechambered from .222 to .223 a very sleek looking rifle that has no camo but nice blue and wood, I really like the lines of that model... My friend and I as kids went to the range and he shot his Rem 600 ( basically the same except for a vent rib on the bbl he had a nice 243 with a recoil pad? that seemed mild to my rem 700 ADL .270 Win with just the metal but plate... I was tender to the touch for a couple of days..  I quickly got a pachmayer (sp) deluxe recoil pad with the fancy white line spacer.. That was one light rifle that did not lend itself to a 5'5" 135 lb teenager trying to get sub one inch groups from those old wooden shooting benches. It kicked a bit more than the gov't issue heavy bbl 22lr Rem 513's with the bulky target stocks... LOL big surprise when I touched off that first round all nestled up and cudly to that shoot'in stick.  One of these days I will get me a 600 in  .243 win with the vent rib and the shark fin front site and all.  Got to be a good price though, as it will probably not get shot alot but just looked at.  Well a good friend just called from California and were gonna get some serious intercession going... so see ya'all later..  b3d

RatherBHuntin

Welcome home.  If you were around here prior to '04 your posts may have been lost unfortunately.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

ben3d

Yeah RatherB... / Glenn.  I got to think'in and I was on the site more around 2001-2002 and 2003? ...  I remember sending some Red Vented Bulbul targets I had laying around. I made them by photocopying one I shot and then copying it again with a white bullseye... The variety I had copied was the black/ grey bodied one so I put like a dime sized bull on it for a guy who wanted to get started pest control somewhere in either Australia or New Zealand..  I scanned them into an email and sent it to him.  He was starting out and wanted to know where to aim, and I said a .177 pellet through the heart and lungs was like a person taking a something like a soda can through the center of the chest... So a hit from basically any angle through that area will drop them for good, and fast.  Then it is easy to recover with no hopping or scooting into the bushes and brush....  If anybody remembers a guy who's real life name was Toon van *****  ( last name left out out of courtesy since this stuff can come up on a google search....)  I wonder if he is still around and if I knew his screen name I would search it..    ...   b3

motor (deceased)

Howdy and welcome from the sunshine state..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

Tags: