Hello from Texas (by way of Oregon and Virginia)

Started by bwanajim, April 05, 2008, 03:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanajim

I've been scanning the web for hunting forums hoping to find hunters actively discussing the political situation in Zimbabwe and its potential effects on hunting there.  I've been to Zim twice and had planned on returning this spring for an elephant hunt but the election there didn't go very well.  Actually, it's still not going well a full week after the fact!

I came across The Hunter's Life Forums and liked what I saw so I joined!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Welcome to the forums bwanajim.  As you know, there is a special forum for political discussion and we will look to see you there as well as on other forums.

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Clueless

Welcome to the site bwanajim!!

Be interested in learning about elephant hunting. :smiley:

Is there a part of Zim that allows elephant hunting?  And what is the kill ratio?
I have many questions about elephant hunting...:eek:

Are they guided hunts?
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

bwanajim

There are lots of hunting concessions in Zimbabwe that offer elephant.  You can pay big bucks for the big tuskers or smaller bucks for marauding elephants (PAC) that need to be removed from an area.  The tuskless elephants are also an affordable choice and you don't have to deal with the C.I.T.E.S. paperwork for exporting the ivory since there isn't any ivory.  The tuskless ones are often harvested to remove that genetic trait from the populations.  They tend to be more agressive because they have to be.  They lack the tusks to strip bark and such so they take from the tusked elephants who have already stripped the bark.

I believe each safari operator takes a certain number of elephants off of their respective hunting lands, so the number available at any given time may vary depending on how many permits are available.
Elephants are harvested in Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and possibly Mozambique (I not really sure about that one).

Yes, the hunts are guided by a licensed professional hunter (PH) and since elephants are intelligent and can turn you into a greasy spot quicker than you can turn to run, you'll be grateful for the expertise out in the bush, not to mention the backup elephant rifle.  It's important to verify that the safari operator and PH are licensed and have a verifiable license number.

A good site to review is www.luxuryhunts.com . Jeff Martinell is a booking agent that sets up hunts in a number of countries.

davidlt89

welcome my friend, enjoy yourself and post often. like seeing them pictures from africa!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

Welcome bwana', glad to have ya......................................................BH51.........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

motor (deceased)

Just an ole sinner saved by grace

Tags: