Colt's M4

Started by bowhunter 51, April 20, 2008, 02:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter 51

Colt's contract is due to runout soon on the M4 (lighter version of the
older M16, I slept  with  one  many  times) contenders for the market is the HK416
and/or the XM8 made by Heckler & Koch, in Germany and the SCAR
made by Belgian armorer FN Herstal...appears some claim the M4, at
$1500 a pop is too high...Claims surveys show 19% of soldiers have had
them jam-up in firefights but 89% satisfied with the M4...never had the
pleasure of firing one....just curious...your thoughts.........................BH51.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

rockinbbar

I have 2 on the way. although the civilian model, & considerably cheaper than the issue model.

The shipping notice says that they should be here on Wed. I'll be glad to see them for sure, as they will be much lighter than my custom target built AR that I use for calling coyotes.

I'll write up a range report when I see what they will do.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Vermonster

Well, since I wear a green uniform and sit on the southern border, I get to shoot one (military/government model) every 3 months at qualifications. :jumpingsmiley:

They are a very nice gun, light, easy to handle, not alot of recoil. I like the collapsable stock, if thats what the military uses in Iraq.

Of course, I do not get to shoot them in sandy terrain, so I cannot speak for the jamming issue. However, in the times that I've qualified, I've never had mine or any other Agents' guns jam for any reason........

My pistol is an H&K, and they also make good guns. I would like to see them stick with the American gun..... :yes:

RatherBHuntin

I haven't shot an M4 at work, but have considerable experience with M16A1 and A2.  They are prone to double feeding, but almost always the culprit seems to be the magazine.  Hopefully the A4s don't have the same problems.  All the media say the H&Ks are the best of the best.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

Well.. i've never had the pleasure of firing one myself also.. so they have a jam'n issue... with the old m-16.. you just did a tap..pull..tap.. an if that didn't work you went for the old 1911... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

lmeiring

Been a fan of the M4 for years but I do believe technology doesn't stand still. We learn from our mistakes and move forward.

You might find this interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiuCdh6F2o8&feature=related

bowhunter 51

Obviously, Lt. Gen. Keys is defending his position as Colt's CEO and yet,
by his own admission says "no other weapon has been proven in the field"

Good stuff, lmeiring...........I also believe there exists a better combat
weapon...possibly the XM8....

I started firearms as a kid...Handled the M1 garand and the M-14 in High
School ROTC, used the M-16 in the Army....I was surprised the # of guys
that had never fired a weapon until basic training, so it's of no surprise to
me now, that few soldiers today... would be satisfied with anything other
than the M4, having nothing to compare it to...I believe it would be good
to arm a few soldiers in each outfit with the the competetive firearms to
gain some in the field combat comparisons, now before more of our
children and our children's children step into future conflicts, as I feel
they most assuredly will...........your thoughts..................................BH51....

RatherBHuntin

BH51,
I believe SOCOM has already been testing the H&K version with favorable results.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

bowhunter 51

Interesting, Glenn....Hopefully Washington, and the People, will take a
greater interest in this issue If    SOCOM delivers a package of impressive
results...
   And to add,..some say the M855 bullet isn't   all that,  claims are that
the 14.5" barrel doesn't produce the velocity nessesary to maximize the
damage (stopping power) in close quarter, urban combat in the M4...
   Soldiers say they feel a little more comfy when they got a guy in the
squad toten' a sniped-out M14....Washington doesn't want-ta hear all
that...Treaty's...............Hmmmmm..........................Your thoughts?....BH51.....

Spetertoi

Knowledge makes humble, ignorance makes proud.    / \./ \/\_   I Hand You  __{^\_ _}_  ) }/^\    A Rose... / /\_/^\._}_/ // /  ( (__{(@)}\__}.//_/__A___A__wow gold____A__wow gold_A______A____ \__/{/(_)\_} )\\ \\---v----V-----V--Y----v---Y-----  (  (__)_)_/ )\ \>     \__/   \__/\/\/

Tags: