"drive through the country"

Started by buckshot roberts, August 26, 2008, 07:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

The Blue Grass State at one time had more than 400 coverd bridges, now only 13 remain. With Fleming county having 3 of them and about 2 hour drive away, we took a road trip across the Bluegrass region to the edge of the Appalachins, and take a few pics for these coverd bridges. As I was looking over the map of FlemingsBurg Kentucky making are route, the name Franklin Sousley came to mind..........?

The first Covered Bridge is the Goddard White Bridge, it's the only one open to traffic in this area,

you can see the timbers are joined with wooden pegs,

this is the church thats in the back ground

next was the Ringos Mills Bridge (grist mill)...,

it runs over the Fox creek, (it was named by the pioner Simon Kenton for a man named Arthur Fox who fell into the creek and died.........

and the Grange City Bridge........

the new highway by it's side

here is an old wooden clock face

and works from the Court House

about 6 miles west of FlemingsBurg is the Town  by the name of Elizaville, it may not ring a bell to a lot of people these day's, but how about the name of this Island "Iwo Jima", this town is were United States Marine  PFC "Franklin Sousley" is lead to rest,

Sousley was born in Hilltop, Kentucky, and was one of the Marine's you well see raising the flag on Mt. Suribachi.

Less than a month after the photo was taken Sousley was shot in the back by a Japanese sniper...........

When word of his death reached his mother,neighbors a quarter-mile away could hear her screams throughout the night..

His body was returned home at his mother's request in may 1948...........

An also these patterns on these old barn's are called "Barn Quilts", they are a tribute to the pioneering women of Kentucky, who painstakingly created colorful and intricate patterns of scrap fabric into quilted bed coverings for the cold winters, these patterns have been transferred onto wood, I saw a large number of these along the hills and valleys........

Ron.............

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

rockinbbar

Nice write up and pics Ron!

Looks like a great time was had by all. :D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Gmoney

Ron..

Just a thought...

If you copy/paste the IMG code from your photobucket account onto the text box here your picture will appear and we don't have to click on all you links while reading your write-up...

Just a thought...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

buckshot roberts

Gmoney thanks...........i'm not doing it right.......tryed it...and it did'nt work..........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Paul Hoskins

Great write up and pic's Ron. You beat me to the draw. I was leading up to this myself. I like your version better. The wife and my sweetheart and her mother made a trip down in there to look at the old covered bridges last week. They had a great time. Muffin hasn't got her pictures developed yet. There is a lot of rich, simple history in Kentucky.    .......Thanks for sharing.   ......Paul H

M. R. Byrd

Ron-

Very nice. Thanks!

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

22hornet

Fantastic:biggthumpup: .

What was the point of covering bridges? It looks like a lot of extra work for little gain.:confused:

But they do look great.

Good post!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

How do I do this? Not real good with computers so please keep it simple. Can you please send me a PM with instructions?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

Quote from: Gmoney;82547Ron..

Just a thought...

If you copy/paste the IMG code from your photobucket account onto the text box here your picture will appear and we don't have to click on all you links while reading your write-up...

Just a thought...

How do I do this? Could you please send me a PM with instructions? Not real good with computers so please keep it simple. Thanks

buckshot roberts

22 hornet..........a bridge once covered will extend it's life to about 80 years.........also a covered bridge was used by travelers during storms and inclement weather.......per say keeping your powder dry...........

this one is from China

on another note "Ho Chin Min"....had a few covered bridges....... he used water to cover his.......... Ron

Tags: