#$@*% gun writers!!

Started by kombi1976, October 19, 2008, 05:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

You know, most gun writers read like an advert for the gun/ammo/scope/accesory companies and I can deal with that.
But every now and again along comes one guy who really sticks in your craw.
Case in point - Damien Edwards.
Good old Damo writes stuff for Australian Shooter now and then and never fails to either say something stupid or miss the point.
I was reading the article on .338 Winchester Magnum in the latest edition of Aussie Shooter today and he continued the short action spin.
He says that there are many cartridges that duplicate each other and then.......

"An exception to this rule, however, is to compare the old 7x57 Mauser and 7mm-08 Remington. There is very little velocity-wise between them, yet the younger circa 1980 Remington cartridge is considerably more popular than the circa 1893 Mauser offering. This is no doubt due to the advantage of the shorter action offered by the 7mm-08 and the higher pressures of factory ammunition."

Mr Edwards is a man accustomed to having his head up his bottom when writing articles.
Two of his previous ones spouted libel against Ruger No1s for being innately inaccurate and over priced.
Now 7mm Mauser is somehow lesser because it's designed for a medium length action and not a short one.
The only advantage a short action cartridge has is that that's all that any seems to make these days and that they feed better through a semi-auto.
But then no one in Australia is allowed to use them here now anyway so that's complete rubbish.
And whose fault is it that the 7mm Mauser is loaded anaemically......why, the same people that load 7mm-08 hot to make it look better.
The Europeans load 7x57 hot enough.
In fact if you chamber them in the right rifles and load them to their optimum 7x57 comes out IN FRONT.
As far as the pressure stuff goes, in order to duplicate 7x57 50,000psi loads the 7mm-08 has to be wound up to 60,000psi or there abouts.
7mm-08 is a fine design but it is reinventing the wheel, much as 260 Remington is too.
Oh, almost forgot, I believe 7mm-08 actually dates to the '60s when benchrest shooters wildcatted it.
Can't even get the date right! :shy:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Daryl (deceased)

That's why I don't read magazines.

When I know more about the subject of the article than the writer does, then there's no reason for me to lessen myself to their knowledge level.

Not that I know all that much about many things they write about, but it doesn't take much, either.  There's far better information about most subjects right here on the forums.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

22hornet

Damo did write a good article on the 32-20 once, but thats about it.

Actually I don't really like the reviews that Brendan does either. Testing target loads with target bullets seated way out so you can't fit loaded ammo in the magazine, just to bring the groups down to make the review look better!
WHY!!!

And his review on the CZ555, when he described the new CZ action as another controlled feed mauser bolt we have previously seen from CZ.

MATE did you even look at the action!!!!:hanged:

Uncle Nick is a good writer, but even then he is getting alot of kicks backs.

The guys at Guns and Game write good reviews and arn't afraid to say something negetive either. And their reviews are usually 4 pages long, and thats without ads!

And don't get me started on that sham of a review that was in the Hunter magazine. The one where they tested the .243 and then sent them away to be floated and bedded.:Banghead:
Before the fix up all rifles shot less than MOA. But I though all new rifles under review shot at least MOA? Thats what these rifles did in previous reviews! Whos lying ?
And when the rifles were fixed up..... How good were the results?? Can anyone tell me??
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

With regard to the 7mm-08 and 7x57 issue, the "load" (pressure) is what it's ALL about. A 7mm bore is a 7mm bore. The 7mm bullet with the most pressure behind it will be the one that goes fastest - it's the "law". The one with the larger case capacity - that'd be the 7x57 (59.5 grains vs 55.0 for the '08) - will be able to generate more pressure because it can hold more powder, whether it does or not.

As I said elsewhere, if you're changing rifles, you're comparing rifles, not cartridges. If you're changing bullets, you're comparing bullets, not cartridges.

All of that said, I like the 7mm-08 because it's on a short action. HOWEVER, that's an emotional decision, not one based on objective comparisons of performance. Just like I happen to like the .260, for the very same reasons.

I most sincerely do NOT mind people 're-inventing the wheel'. I do it myself with some regularity. What chaps my rear is when some gunwriter (ptooey) tries to tell me the newly invented "wheel" is better than the old "wheel". The new one may have been - and probably was - "invented" to scratch some specific itch - like the same performance from a shorter action - but that doesn't make it "better". It just makes it different. "Different" is OK by me. "Better" is... well, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

My issue with many of the short action cartridges is that for the most part they weren't invented to create a new option.
Instead they serve 2 purposes:
  • They copy the performance of an existing cartridge to save the manufacturer money simply because they can slot them into their existing 308 action.
  • They're another means of selling "new" things which aren't really new and offer no real improvement over anything already on offer.
There are of course exceptions.
But all of the claims made to reinforce the abilities of short action cartridges are for the most part sales propaganda and nothing more.
And then to be told that the cartridge which changed forever the way high powered rifle cartridges were designed is less good than a commercial knock-together which has to use more pressure to generate the same performance is adding insult to injury.
Don't get me wrong - both 7mm-08 and 260 Rem are capable cartridges.
But the reason they are good is because they duplicate the performance of 2 classic cartridges which are both world beaters in their own way.
And if the ammo and rifle companies had exploited 7x57 and 6.5x55 in the same way they've flogged 7mm-08 and 260 Rem they would've had the same performance, if not better.
And now I'm ranting again.
Damien Edwards just makes my blood boil.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Alboy

Go shoot something Kombi; you will feel better
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless

22hornet

But don't shoot Damien. Hey, if you used a Ruger No1 we could see if he has any confidence in his statement about No 1's being inaccurate. If he is right then he has nothing to fear.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

Oh, I wouldn't kill Damo.
I might shoot his hands so he has to type slowly with a stick in his mouth though.
Might make him think a little more before writing complete bollocks as he is want to do.
Cheers & God Bless

Paul Hoskins

I pay little or no attention to gun writers. They're just that, writers. Most have little first hand knowledge of what they're talking about. I don't need gun writers or politicians anyway. I have a mind of my own I think.   .....Paul H

Alboy

Paul H

My daddy said it pretty good more than once. "That is an opinion call and my opinion is good as anybodies!" Then he would do what ever it was to be done at his best. Worked pretty danged good too.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

kombi1976

Well, there's always the one that opinions are like a certain part of your anatomy.
Everyone has one and for the most part they stink.
Mr Edwards certainly stinks!
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: