The Eagle Nest

Started by bowhunter 51, November 26, 2008, 10:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter 51

Having just finished the last of a can of vienna, I came to my feet on 4'X4' platform
nestled 18' from the ground in a clutch of mature sweetgum trees that I like to refer
to as "The Eagle Nest"....A deerstand strategically located in the southwest
corner of the 21 acre section of the family farm.............The eagle nest is one of two
permanent deer stands that I maintain there..a pair of granny-smith apple trees
with late apples still cling to the tops, red-oak and persimmon are abundant
on the hedge-rows all around...pastures with black-angus cattle border two sides ...
It's late evening with cold clear skies this late November day.....The persistent
wind had subsided and now it's strangely quite and still...Sunset cast long shadows..
Perfect......darkness within minutes.........
Movement at my 9:00.....A Rack!.....my heart skips a beat.....he steps out into a
shooting-lane....he's moving left to right and has just cut my track to the stand....
Un oh!...he glancing my way, a scant 75 yrds away.....Points stickn' everywhere and
he knows I'm home!......The crosshairs are on him...just behind his left shoulder and
low.....I squeeze on'em with my Ruger 77 in 30-06 with factory 180's....The rifle
barks, the recoil insignificant as the moment is sugar-coated with excitement....
He covers an extraordinary distance in just two leaps and then his white rump
goes into the air and swaps ends with his head....he slides to a stop in the fescue
grass and is still....I hear the empty case bounce around on the platform and down
the ladder to the ground, as I chamber another round...return to safey with a loud
metalic click and all goes quite and still.............I finally exhail..........my heart-rate
returns to normal...................an 8 pt.....probably field dress around 165.....in the
1st image and a shot from the eagle nest of the shooting lane beyond, 2nd image..
Not the Big Boy, but worthy of show-n-tell.................................................BH51.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

Nice looking deer, congrats!!!!!!! not a bad write up either:toff:
since you are not in maine I suspect you are allowed to shoot more deer:nana:
looking forward to seeing some more photos. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Vermonster

Nice looking deer!  Really long tines on that guy!!!  Congrats!!!! :food04:

Alboy

Good going

Gonna be nice eating too
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

bowhunter 51

Thanks guys..........as for the write-up, ... the usual dozen or so mis-spelled
words and I put the cross hairs behind the right shoulder instead of the
left, but.....what the heck.........
I'm allowed 2 more bucks and a pile of doe but I don't have freezer
space for but one more deer,.....I prefer doe for eating.....here is the last
image of that deer hanging.....intact....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Alboy

:biggthumpup: Good size boy

Sympathise on the freezer space as between MY LOVE capitalizing on cheap turkeys and an elk this year I am already borrowing space and still have invites to go hunting.:undecided:

May have to buy another freezer:bulb2:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Vermonster

Well BH51, by all means, if you need to empty freezer space, feel free to Jerky dome of that up and ship it to California....... :yes:

buckshot roberts

that is a good size........congrats..Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

QuoteI am already borrowing space and still have invites to go hunting.:undecided:

I could deal with those problems:biggthumpup: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: