Couple Doe

Started by RatherBHuntin, December 18, 2008, 07:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

Not too much to tell but I'll drag it out anyway:grin: , and I only have one picture, printed and no way to scan it at present as the scanner is hooked to a computer whose motherboard shot flames out the side a few weeks ago. I went out last weekend and sat on a clear cut for a few hours. This is a new stand in our club and it's been hard to get into. My brother sat it and shot two does the day before me. I got in about 5:45 AM and the sun was just coming up. About 7:00 I saw a lone deer (should have made me suspicious) in the bottom about 250 yards out. I watched it carefully for several minutes didn't see any antlers and declared it fair game. It started walking up a logging trail sort of parallel to me and finally stopped broadside. I took a shot, brought the gun back down and saw that the deer hadn't moved at all. Then it walked off the side, down in a wash and then popped back up about 225 yards away. I took another shot and it jumped up and bolted, I thought I've got her now. Then I see her walking straight towards me. No staggering, no bleeding, no holes. Dang it I missed again! :huh: This deer continued to walk towards me and it became apparent that it wasn't hit. As it got closer it also became apparent that she was a he, with very small spikes sticking up. He kept coming straight at me and crossed the road in front of me, after pausing broadside at 30 yards. Not a mark on him fortunately, as spikes will cost you a $100 as per club rules, though he would have been legal according to the state.

About this time two more spikes showed in the bottom, and I guess the light was better and the spikes definitely better, because I saw they were spikes right away. They pushed against each other just a little and milled around. I watched one of them freshen up his tarsals which I could see were starting to turn brown. Our rut is still a couple weeks away. One of the spikes left, and the other stayed another 15 minutes. As it started to walk off it threw his head over his shoulder and stared into the underbrush. Eventually I found what he was looking at which unfortunately didn't turn out to be another buck but a doe. When she walked out he gave her hindquarters a good sniff and then chased her out of the field.

About 8:00 a herd showed up on my right in the road about 80 yards away. There were two large doe and two yearlings I think. As soon as the largest doe cleared the others I took a shot with the .270 and she turned a flip jumped off the road and basically fell dead about 10 feet down the hill. One of the deer ran to the right, the other two ran left at the shot. Now I figured I had them hemmed in because those deer to the left were in a relatively small hole and if they came out of it I would have a shot. If they didn't come out of it I could get to them and there wasn't any cover down there. After about a five minute wait they showed. One ran out and paused on the edge of the old loading deck and I got a shot at him about an even hundred yards away. She hunched up and ran in a big circle back into the hole, where she fell about 50-75 yards down the hill.

The first doe weighed 125 live and seemed to be at least a 3 year old. The shot broke both shoulders low and took off the top forward edge of the heart. Using Nosler 130gr BTs over a hefty dose of H4831, about 3050 fps. Bullet exited and was not recovered, small entry and exit, no blood trail. The second doe was only 65 pounds and also had an exit about the size of a quarter. That shot was a little far back but still got both lungs. No meat loss on her fortunately as there wasn't all that much to begin with. She looked bigger standing up on the hill. I ended up seeing two more deer, a doe and a button head, which may have been the other two from that foursome as they came out in the same place and walked off in the direction they were going before. I should have waited on the second doe, and then I would have had two big ones, but hindsight is 20/20. No excuse on the misses except that I was really cold I guess, temp was in the 20s.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

What do ya mean not much to tell. Ran like a good story to me.:biggthumpup:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Daryl (deceased)

Sounds like you had a good hunt, Glenn.  Congrat's!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

good story and glad to see I am not the only one who misses once in awhile:D God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

David,
Nope you aint the only one partner, I think I may need to practice a bit more.  And not just one miss but two on the same deer.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

bowhunter 51

I'm with Alboy,.....that is a good story of what sounds like, was a pretty
eventful morning.....must be a honey-hole of a deer hunting spot  to see
all them deer in such a short span of time....Congratulatiions on the kills,
Glenn.................Thanks for sharing......................................................BH51......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

Good story Glenn. Glad to hear you 'got after 'em'!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Hello Glenn. Ditto what Paul said.....good story. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

davidlt89

QuoteAnd not just one miss but two on the same deer.
my record is 5 shots back in my early years!!!!!! got him on the 5th shot, it is a long story:undecided: . God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

noel

I'd hate to have to tell how many I've missed!it'd scare ya!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

kombi1976

Good hunting, Glenn.
I think your honesty encourages the rest of us even more.
It's wonderful to hear about other guys who can hit antelope from 500yds and put it EXACTLY where they want it or take running shots on deer at 100yds.
But after a while it seems a little depressing when, like myself, you have good days and bad.
IMO that was a great hunt.
You came back with 2 does and that's more than a lot of people can say.
I look forward to seeing the pics when you take the flame thrower out of your PC. :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: